Help with Evo Internal Memory / Storage

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
My question is, Does anyone know which Folders effect the internal memory? Such as pictures, ring-tones, alarm notification sounds and such.

Running into low memory again and after uninstalling many apps.....its still an issue :(

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
A couple of things you can do....have you gone into the applications and moved all the apps u can from phone to sd card?(this will clear up a lot of internal memory) Have you downloaded a file manager so that you can process your files? Un you dounble checked your card and made sure its uts not unmounted from your device? Probably all mute points but just checking the basics first...... :)

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^Clearing the cache might help a lot. You'll also need to check what applications are currently running on your device. It's not typical, but some apps will boot up automatically, and you'll have to manually stop the activity, even if you haven't started it. Don't use any task killers, just go into the applications menu in settings, and go to running applications. See what applications are running and if it's a large amount, then that could be hogging up a lot of your free space. You could also have just one app that is doing it. This would be a rogue app, and they are rare, but sometimes a third party app will do this.

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the tips. I've moved a ton of my apps to the sd card. maybe 90% atleast.
I also found so odd apps running when i don't what them to and have now uninstalled them. thanks for that tip. forgot about that one.

Is there an easier way to see the cache for all your apps instead of checking them one by one?

I was asking about the folders because i remember dumping a ton of wallpaper and ringtones on the phone when i first got it, but not sure if i in fact put them on the SD card and not the Internals.

So you guys know, I'm down to 43.68MB internal, which can't be good or I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Have you downloaded a file manager so that you can process your files?
What does this do?

Last edited:

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Try Astro file manager. or you can connect your phone to your computer and search for that folder with all the wallpapers and ringtones... locate and move it. use cachecleaner too. works well

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Astro file manager lets you monitor and work ur folders without have to connect to ur computer......after ur used to it you'll be able to do everything from the phone

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
will try both tonight. I'm sure its going to be a little trial and error but does anyone know for sure which folders are located internally?

Will post up results when i complete both tasks :cool:

Side note, this is a NON-rooted phone :-(

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My question is, Does anyone know which Folders effect the internal memory? Such as pictures, ring-tones, alarm notification sounds and such.

Running into low memory again and after uninstalling many apps.....its still an issue :(

Pictures---usually under "dcim" or the made you've given the folder
Ringtones---under music(go inside the folder and create individual folder fro ringtone/notifications and music

Reactions: randompre21

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
not confused about where to place em, was wondering if it counted towards internal memory. I can see now that it doesn't. I put them all in the proper places, but thx

Astro is a good program. Still can't see what the problem is however. I've improved to 51mb internal :( but that still kinda sucks

I'm about to start deleting apps but that kind of defeats the purpose of having 8gb or higher memory

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, remember, most apps don't have the ability to move to the SD card. I think the EVO comes with 512mb of internal memory, after the system files take their dedicated resources, then you're only left with about 420mb. Then... it starts going down as you download more apps. Try to find which app is the memory hog. If you don't need it, delete it. Or if you have a question of whether its worth keeping, let us know, we'll try to advise accordingly. I'm curious to know what apps you have. Would you mind posting a listing of them if there aren't too many?

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it is frustrating... but remember that only now is 2.1+ on a majority of phones owned... not all developers have coded their programs to function properly with 2.2's "move to SD" so you're gonna have to wait a little longer before you can download 8GB worth of apps.

A program I use, which I've got nothing but praise so far for, is SD Move because it shows your downloaded apps in a color-coordinated way so you can just see what can be moved to the SD card and what shouldn't be moved... plus it's free! Hope this helps...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just for those curious.. this is exactly how the 1GB (technically ~1.13gb) of total internal storage is being allocated.. The used will vary but the total stays the same. Just want to add that this is why I'm opposed to these skins over Android... When I use CM (AOSP), after all my apps are installed, I still have 242mb's of internal storage... With the same apps on a Sense based ROM I have only 106mb of internal storage. The difference of 136mbs is a LOT and absolutely ridiculous. htc needs to do a better job at RAM (memory) as well as storage management.

/dev: 212428K total, 12K used, 212416K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/asec: 212428K total, 0K used, 212428K available (block size 4096)
/system: 358400K total, 203056K used, 155344K available (block size 4096)
/data: 437888K total, 326704K used, 111184K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 163840K total, 1864K used, 161976K available (block size 4096)
/app-cache: 8192K total, 4K used, 8188K available (block size 4096)

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
SD Move is very cool indeed. Will post up a list later today. Just looking at this though, it only shows 4 apps that haven't been moved to sd and 3 that can't. The rest are all on sd. Looking at it now, it IS a long list :_( Will put it up anyways

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The only other advise I can give, is like when the plane is tooooo heavy, "get rid of the dead weight"....what I've done and it may help.....is I've uninstalled all the Market apps I've purchased (they will remain on ur market list under downloads) I can then reinstall them when I need them.....clear alot of space for me (not sure if that applies to u tho)

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
The only other advise I can give, is like when the plane is tooooo heavy, "get rid of the dead weight"....what I've done and it may help.....is I've uninstalled all the Market apps I've purchased (they will remain on ur market list under downloads) I can then reinstall them when I need them.....clear alot of space for me (not sure if that applies to u tho)

Yeah I've got a couple "Purchased" apps sitting in the Market list that don't get used enough to keep downloaded but are still there too.

randompre21

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Good point. And i realize this, its just odd because 90% of my apps are on the sd card, but i do admit to having some nonsense apps installed.

Here's my list from SDMOVE ( great APP) the Key is listed next to title

4 Yellow--app that has not been moved from external but can be
Adobe showcase,
Advanced sd card manager,
Apk manager,
Wifi connector library

3 Red -----developer requested app be prevented from being moved
Battery Snap,
G4,
LauncherPro

33 Green ---app has been moved to external storage
3d pool Master pro,
American Football New Center,
Android Central ^_^ ,
Antigen,
AppBrain,
Audible,
Barcode Scanner,
Best Buy,
Bubble Blast 2,
Carrr Matey,
City Jump,
Doom Live Wallpaper,
Google Earth +Earth Rot,
Fireworks Live Wallpaper,
GameCenter,
GeoQuiz,
Glob-Real Time Traffic,
Google Translate,
Home Switcher,
Jewels,
KontsGuide,
OperaMini,
Penguin,
psxdroid,
Scanner Radio,
Sensorly map Viewer,
Shopper,
Space Man,
Spaghetti Marshmallows Lite,
SpeedView,
Springpad,
Super K.o Boxing 2 free,
Twidroyd.

12 Blue -----app prefers to be on external and is there
AndroZip,
Angry Birds,
Angry Birds Seasonal,
App 2 SD,
DB2,
Evac Lite,
Google Sky Map,
Meteor Lite WVGA,
Neocore,
Portal SoundBoard,
SdMove
TVFlash.

Okay first, yes thats alot of apps, but Hey, I support Developers!!!

Second, Since most of these are on the external, i don't understand why they take up so much space.

Another interesting note. I downloaded the FREE, yes FREE TODAY ONLY dungeon hunter from Gameloft.

So my available space is now 39.50MB

Will update as i delete some junk of my phone and watch how it affects the internal size.
Thx for all the advice so far. Curious if this is indeed too many apps?

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I can think of and Some apps do do this is that they occupy both internal and external memory to have the able to save info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty