Palm Pre Guy who wants to get an Evo but isnt too sure..Help needed.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Jason, How are you?

Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. It will take you through step-by-step.

Basically, imagine if Palm had taken the best couple hundred patches we had proven out and added them to webOS. That's Android. Google did listen. And the apps will take your breath away.

Also, here is the Getting Started With Android.

As to phones, anything with a moving part will fail. It's physics.

With the virtual keyboards like SwiftKey for the EVO, you will never want a physical keyboard again. SwiftKey is just so much faster than a physical keyboard because it predicts your words before you even start to type them. The EVO is a beast. You could kill someone with it at 20 feet...and wipe it off and check emails.

Oh hey!
I didnt know you were here too :). You're right though, thats why i was reluctant to consider the Epic because it has a moving part. The Pre totally ruined my mind about phones with moving parts. But, the BB Torch does it will though, not like im even going to get a BB phone, but the slider is SOLID!
Well, the census wins. I will be getting an Evo on the 24th. Hopefully i get some great deals on it! Im going to buy it BestBuy, so i dont have to wait a lifetime for Sprint to send me my $100 rebate. I'll check out the links you posted. You've being very helpful once again :).

For everyone else. Thanks for everything. But, trust me, Webos will make a big comeback in 2011. I can bet on that. Hopefully, ebay can help me be part of that comeback because i wont be signing another contract until 2014.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just made the switch to an Evo from a Pre literally less than 48 hours ago and not one ounce of regret so far, this is an amazing phone. And for what it's worth as much as I loved Preware and patching and modifying my Pre, so far it seems completely redundant on this phone... it does just about everything I could want right out of the box.

Edit: I didn't see your other post before I made mine. But for what it's worth if you are eligable for an upgrade why wait. Best Buy has a 30 day price matching policy. Basically if you find it for less at another store in your area they will refund you the price difference. I'm pretty sure that also applies to them dropping their price, but you'll have to ask for the refund, it's not automatic.

Last edited:

tsims10s

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I left my previously beloved Pre for my now beloved Evo back in August. I've never even thought to look back. The Evo satisfied my desire to own a solid feeling phone. I don't worry over the sloppy sliding mechanism anymore and have adjusted to a software keyboard easily by using Smart Keyboard Pro and finally Ultra Keyboard. I don't miss the cards since I can just "long press" the home key on my Evo and switch to my recently used apps. I have found apps for nearly all of my needs in the Android Market. After rooting my Evo (which I feel is easy for someone with some degree of tech comfort, some patience, and some attention to detail) I now have an Evo capable of doing nearly everything I could wish for. The only think I miss is not having true "Roam Only" capability, which I could do with my Pre but I haven't found that I can do with my Evo.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is, owned the Pre(compeletey rooted) and probably like u thought it was a pretty decent smartphone (and it was). I've owned the EVO since launch date and all I can is was U go EVO you'll never go back to a "regular" smartphone

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
The only think I miss is not having true "Roam Only" capability, which I could do with my Pre but I haven't found that I can do with my Evo.

Look in the market for "Roam Control". It does require root but it works great.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Go Steelers

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a launch EVO. It's a great phone and does what I need it to do (document editing, my maps in Google Maps etc.) that WebOS didn't do. I do not regret my decision, and have been happy with it.
However WebOS is clearly a superior operating system. Significantly easier to use, and much more intuitive. Palm got the OS right, they just gimped the hardware. Android reminds me of Windows Mobile, too many screens to jump through to get to what you need.
The PIM on WebOS needed tweaked, but it is significantly better than native Android. For the most part calendar and contacts are a joke on Android. Grab Deja Office out of the market, it is a work in progress but a major upgrade to the native apps.
I guess it depends on your uses and just understand what your getting into. Significantly better hardware, but a partially baked OS.

Last edited:

chrisz

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
What up Buddy,evo rocks,I made the switch, you know me from over there,zmann,lol. At first I was not warming up to android, but after a few weeks I started loving it.I love no moving parts on my device and when I pick my pre up now it feels like a toy.I say go for it.

Sent using taptalk.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
What up Buddy,evo rocks,I made the switch, you know me from over there,zmann,lol. At first I was not warming up to android, but after a few weeks I started loving it.I love no moving parts on my device and when I pick my pre up now it feels like a toy.I say go for it.

Sent using taptalk.

zmann!
Nice to read that a couple Pre enthusiast have made the switch. Does anyone know if the Evo can download MP3 from websites. For example, if i go on mediafire to download an MP3, can i do that or do i have to root it before i can do that?

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Evo and Epic 4G, which is better?
The Evo has a higher quality camera....HTC builds better phones...

My husband and myself both came from the Pre. I have the Evo and he has the Epic. Honestly, these two phones are a dead tie. The only way to decide which one is better for you is if you want a physical keyboard or not.

I do not so the Evo is the Win for me.

My husband did want a keyboard so the Epic is the win for him.

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Near launch Sprint Pre and launch Evo owner here.

Any benefits of webOS were completely overshadowed by how half-baked the 1.x OS was and the craptacular Sprint hardware. Sure, the cards idea was great but what's the point when the rest of the OS was laggy as hell even with overclocking?

LynnL

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the Pre a few months ago, after having been a loyal Palm user since 1997. Once I got used to the new interface, I haven't looked back.

WebOs has some nice features, but it can't compare to the huge, beautiful screen and the availability of so many more apps and features. I remember trying to read a QR code with the Pre's camera. LOL. I only wish I'd made the switch sooner.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an EVO about three weeks ago after having a sprint pre. The EVO's pretty bad ass, but I'm definitely not in the "never look back" crowd.

I'm definitely not bashing the EVO or anything, it really is great, I just miss a lot about webOS. In fact, the more I use this phone, the more I miss it. I think it has mostly to do with the lack of multitasking, and notifications. And a VKB. I've got swiftkey and ultra keyboard. Swiftkey was pretty neat for a minute, but I like ultra better with it's swype-like tracing and customizable themes. Neither is, for me, a substitute for a physical keyboard.

I think you'll be happy though if you switch. The hardware is lovely, and there are enough Apps --both useful, and just fun and gimmicky-- to keep you distracted for a good long time. I don't think you'll regret moving to the EVO.

And hey, if anyone can tell me how to keep a video playing in the background while I do something else, and change things so a phone call coming in doesn't take up the whole fricking screen and mess up whatever I was in the middle of doing, I will be forever grateful. I'm going for full root this week, so I'll be ready for whatever.

Anyway, you'll love the screen, the tons of Apps, and the build of the phone for sure! You'll miss music player remix if you had it. I miss no pause of video on screen change, and download any streaming media, as well as the notifications. Well, some other things too. This is getting mg to ne too Mich to type on a vkb (you can probably tell by me not caring to type and Reau type tips) so I'm gong to end soon...

Get the EVO, you'll like it. IM just being a whiny little *****. Even with my nitpicking, I won't be dropping this for shiny new webOS hardware until my full year with it I'd up.

Oh yeah, and U was in tht2323 E EVO versus epic boat too, and after lanky hos with both in sprint stores, I decided that as Mich as I hate vkb, the landscape slider on the epic is worse. HATED it. And IM not a gamer, so the gpu in epic didmtatyer either. I love EVO for browsing and watching videos. I preferred Sense too over touch wiz or whatever. Looking forward to trio mg senseless roms too now though.

I hope mycomplaong hasn't ruined my odds of getting help when I ho to root later. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the Pre, and miss a couple of things about WebOS but not much. The EVO is more like a mini tablet than the Pre was. I like everything about my EVO, it does everything and does it a lot better than my Pre did. Bigger keyboard, better browser, bigger, better screen. The EVO is better computer and a better phone. I thought that WebOS was a better OS also when I had the phone but its not better at all. HP will have to make a phone like the EVO before I would consider going back.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Launch day PRE owners became launch day EVO owners and have not had 1 regret. I was deep into PRE homebrew and preware patches. Best thing about EVO ... it did everying out the box I patched the PREs to do. I to was a long time Palm customer. Android is my preferred OS now and HTC makes rock solid hardware (unlike my oreo effect and headset jack sticking in headset mode PRE).

bholston

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Evo for about three weeks now. It is the best phone that I have ever had. I had a Pre when they first came out and it doesn't even compare. The Evo is at least a generation better.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded from a Palm Pre to an Evo this past Tuesday. Zero regrets and I recommend you to do the same!

Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
zmann!
Nice to read that a couple Pre enthusiast have made the switch. Does anyone know if the Evo can download MP3 from websites. For example, if i go on mediafire to download an MP3, can i do that or do i have to root it before i can do that?

Yes, you can.. It'll save straight to your SD card.. You can also use apps like gTunes (free on Market) that act as a search engine/music downloader for you.. Simple, easy interface.

Neither method I listed above requires root. Though I recommend it after getting some famiiliarity with the phone.

Btw, congratulations on your decision. I've never had the pleasure of owning a Pre, though I used it for work many a time.. Great interface, sloppy hardware.. Ya know.. ..the usual ***** about it.. You wont regret your turn to the Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress