blank screen on my evo 4g

ETjumps

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I had my htc evo on charger, then I picked it up to make a call and the screen was blank. The phone appears to be working, but I can't navigate cause the screen is blank. Tried removing and replacing battery, it makes noise like it is booting up, but still the screen is blank.

Any ideas?

horseman

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, might have an idea. I bought an EVO at launch time last summer. Incredible phone BUT.... after 1 month the screen began to die. Would dim, flicker then go blank. Power off, back on, and screen would work.. for a moment or two. Reset battery, etc, etc. Within a day the thing was dead. Calls would come in, sound appeared to work, reboot noises sounded normal, but no screen.

Did some checking. LOTS of other people were encountering the same problem. Took the phone back to sprint and waited a few days while they ordered in a replacement.

Second phone lasted 24 hours. Screen went black and never came back. Sprint determined it was a hardware problem and offered to replace again. I use my phone to run my business and can't tolerate that kind of unavailability. Switched the phone for a blackberry and never went back to EVO.

Loved the functionality of the EVO but simply cannot live with something that cost that much and won't reliably work. At the time a lack of inventory made the situation far worse. I might have been more tolerant if the local sprint store had replacements in stock and could replace the phone immediately but that was not the case.

If it had just been me I might have stuck it out with a third EVO replacement but I found enough complaints about the problem to recognize that it was a factory defect in the product that neither HTC nor Sprint appeared willing to openly admit to its user base in any meaningful way. To me, that failure spoke volumes about the company I was dealing with.

Checked today to see if people were still experiencing this failure point. If the issue had been corrected I would consider going back to the EVO. Sadly, the problem still persists in this product so it's clear to me that HTC was never able to correct it and some unknown percentage of customers will still experience this failure point. Makes the EVO a "no-go" for someone like me.

Too bad... I really liked the functionality of the phone but just can't afford the risk associated with multiple failures and the related downtime. Hard to believe that HTC has never openly addressed this problem or admitted to the frequency of failure instances. I'm far more willing to work with a company that will admit to its problems and work with me to correct them. That was demonstrably not the case with HTC.

By the way, the Blackberry is not as satisfying a functionality experience as the EVO, but its reliability is beyond question. RIM (blackberry manufacturer) understands the business community and puts reliability at the top of their feature criteria. The difference is significant enough to warrant change.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles a product offers if you can't depend on it to work. HTC does not appear to understand this simple premise. It would be interesting to see how many customers this has cost them or if they even care. In my experience, they don't.

Cheers.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Checked today to see if people were still experiencing this failure point. If the issue had been corrected I would consider going back to the EVO. Sadly, the problem still persists in this product so it's clear to me that HTC was never able to correct it and some unknown percentage of customers will still experience this failure point. Makes the EVO a "no-go" for someone like me.

By the way, the Blackberry is not as satisfying a functionality experience as the EVO, but its reliability is beyond question. RIM (blackberry manufacturer) understands the business community and puts reliability at the top of their feature criteria. The difference is significant enough to warrant change.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles a product offers if you can't depend on it to work. HTC does not appear to understand this simple premise. It would be interesting to see how many customers this has cost them or if they even care. In my experience, they don't.

Cheers.

That's quite a rant.

For the record, i've been lurking in these forums since May 2010, prior to the release of the Evo and check these forums daily. An inexplicable dead screen problem is news to me.

Moreover, i bought two Evos on launch day and have not seen this problem, so your issues sound far more like an edge case and sheer fluke than a systemic and endemic problem unresolved by HTC and Sprint.

To me, there's no comparison between a blackberry (multifunction smartphone) and an android based device in terms of utility--a blackberry could not replace my android phone in daily usage. I require far more than the email and handicapped web functions that a blackberry can provide. Granted, sometimes i long for an email client that mirrors blackberry corporate integration, but This is more an wish than a requirement. Moreover, i too rely on my phone for work and have stringent requirements for availability and reliability.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo