Which connection is EVO using at home?

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
So at home like a lot of people, I have excellent 3G, decent 4G coverage, and my Comcast cable internet via wifi router.

With the 4G and wifi turned on for my EVO, which connection will it use for data?

With the 4g turned off and the wifi turned on for my EVO, which connection will it use for data?

Thanks.

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Look at the task bar. When I connect via Wifi my 3g icon disappears and only the Wifi Icon is visible. Meaning I am on Wifi.

I don't have 4g Here so I don't if that also happens with it

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Look at the task bar. When I connect via Wifi my 3g icon disappears and only the Wifi Icon is visible. Meaning I am on Wifi.

I don't have 4g Here so I don't if that also happens with it

That may be the case, but my signal strength bars (i.e. 3G signal) stay visible along with my wifi strength bars, so with wifi on my 3G doesn't seem to disappear.

I guess my question is whether the phone automatically chooses the fastest available connection 3G/4G/wifi and bounces between them depending on what's available or strongest?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
That may be the case, but my signal strength bars (i.e. 3G signal) stay visible along with my wifi strength bars, so with wifi on my 3G doesn't seem to disappear.

I guess my question is whether the phone automatically chooses the fastest available connection 3G/4G/wifi and bounces between them depending on what's available or strongest?

Your signal bars(the 4 vertical bars) will always show, whether your using Wifi, 3g or 4g. And yes, the 4 vertical bars are your cellular/3g signal strength.

But what I think your asking is if you leave all of your radios on how dose the evo decide what Conection to use. I asked myself this a few weeks ago so on a day off I paid attention to how my wifi and 3G were connecting while I ran some errands around town.

I left my wifi and 3G radios on and while I was in my house where I get crap 3G and great wifi, it was on wifi. Left the house and out of range of my home wifi it jumped to 3g. Then I stopped by a local Starbucks where I have there hotspot remembered and I get great 3G signal, my evo hopped on wifi.

After that I went to a Barnes & Nobles, the whole time I was walking there I was connected to 3G. Got to B&N's where I get good 3G and have there wifi remembered it jumped on wifi.

Then I walked to my wife's office, the whole time on 3g. Got to her office and jumped right on her office wifi. Granted their is almost no 3G signal.

But just from doing that I get the feeling the our evo's will always go for a wifi connection when ever there is a opened and previously remembered wifi hotspot available.

Don't know about 4G(my rom doesn't support it) but I would have to think that it would be the same.

If you see the "3G" symbol with the up down arrows, your connected to 3G data. If you see the wifi your connected to wifi and so on.

Sent From My Miui Haven, Gingerbread Throwing eVo4g

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
There is a setting that says "use phone for data connection when wifi is unavailable". If that is checked, it goes to wifi first then mobile. If not checked, I don't know because I always keep it checked.

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
haven't looked at my setting but my wifi always takes over. 3g and 4g disappear.
I think wifi will always take over for data....3G or 4G will always be there for cell usage. Sometimes you have to disable wifi, like when you're in/near a hotel that requires a password to access and it'd be easier on 3G/4G.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I keep my wifi on all the time, unless I know I will be away from an open connection for an extended period of time, and it always takes wifi connections over 3G. I don't have 4G so I can't say anything about that.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Kinda ridiculous that there isn't a clear answer for this by now with EVO, don't you think?

Does it always use WiFi whenever available for data?
Or 3g if available and faster?
Or 4G if available and faster?

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I think wifi will always take over for data....3G or 4G will always be there for cell usage. Sometimes you have to disable wifi, like when you're in/near a hotel that requires a password to access and it'd be easier on 3G/4G.
Um, that wouldn't be the reason. If it requires a password, and you've never entered it before, you're not going to be able to connect to it, and your phone is not going to try.

The reason you'd want to disable your wi-fi would be (1) if you're not going to be near one that you can connect to, in which case it would constantly be searching for one, which causes the battery to drain faster, or (2) you're automatically connected to an open hotspot that requires you to open your browser first to agree to the usage terms of the hotspot, in which case you can't actually download anything (such as your email push notifications) through wi-fi until you've done so.

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Um, that wouldn't be the reason. If it requires a password, and you've never entered it before, you're not going to be able to connect to it, and your phone is not going to try.

The reason you'd want to disable your wi-fi would be (1) if you're not going to be near one that you can connect to, in which case it would constantly be searching for one, which causes the battery to drain faster, or (2) you're automatically connected to an open hotspot that requires you to open your browser first to agree to the usage terms of the hotspot, in which case you can't actually download anything (such as your email push notifications) through wi-fi until you've done so.

Sorry...let me put it this way: If you're attending a conference at the Peabody Hotel in Orlando Florida and you're NOT a guest and your phone's wifi is NOT turned off, you'll be repeatedly asked to enter a guest password (not an open hotspot) on the Peabody's system (shows a pic of the hotel, etc.)to access the internet. If you turn off your wifi it doesn't ask for that information, allowing you to access the internet over 3G.

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry...let me put it this way: If you're attending a conference at the Peabody Hotel in Orlando Florida and you're NOT a guest and your phone's wifi is NOT turned off, you'll be repeatedly asked to enter a guest password (not an open hotspot) on the Peabody's system (shows a pic of the hotel, etc.)to access the internet. If you turn off your wifi it doesn't ask for that information, allowing you to access the internet over 3G.

There are also plenty of establishments that have "open" networks that you can freely connect to, but they require you to accept terms which require you to open the browser each time you connect to the network. So, if you leave wifi on, you will connect to wifi, but will only have data access if you use the browser first.

To be COMPLETELY clear, if a wifi connection is available (and you can and are connected to it) your phone will ALWAYS use the wifi over 3G and 4G.

So... wifi > 4G > 3G. Clear?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699