Rooted EVO getting replaced

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So long story short, the service guy broke my phone and they are giving me a new EVO. They called today and its in, but Im rooted right now. Do I have to unroot my phone for them to transfer stuff or can I just leave it. Im not worried about the root voiding my warranty because I didnt do it until after he broke my volume rocker so they already have to replace it. (Plus he doesnt care anyways, his is rooted as well!) If I do have to unroot, can I just take the GB OTA and have that unroot? I used Unrevoke forever. Id love to just go in there and not change anything, and if the phone they give me doesnt have GB on it I will just root again when I get home. Thanks for any help!

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well... Sprint as a company doesn't seam to care if your rooted and like you said the techs device is rooted and he doesn't care and they broke your last eVo.

Don't really think it matters.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So it wont mess up anything and all my stuff would transfer as it would if it was running stock then? Thats all I really care about at this point. I went in and synced all of my accounts so that my contacts and everything should be good to go once I log into the new device.

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
if i were you and didnt turn in the phone yet i WOULD unroot the phone. i went in to have my power button replaced because it was clearly stuck in and they wouldnt touch the phone because it was rooted.

as you may well know, rooting the devices VOIDS your warranty so sprint could end up charging you for that replacement phone

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
if i were you and didnt turn in the phone yet i WOULD unroot the phone. i went in to have my power button replaced because it was clearly stuck in and they wouldnt touch the phone because it was rooted.

as you may well know, rooting the devices VOIDS your warranty so sprint could end up charging you for that replacement phone

Sprint service centers CANNOT deny service on rooted phones. It's company policy. However if you're phone is rooted and are having OS/software issues they are supposed to flash it back to stock before proceeding further. If it's a hardware issue they are supposed to fix the issue or if needed replace the phone.

With that being said, most techs get all panicky and run around in circles when they see superuser much less AOSP. You need to hit the service centers (both corporate and independent) in your area and find one that you feel you can trust. The other option is to talk to people that have Sprint in your area and find out what store they trust for service issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38