Switching numbers on upgrade

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if I will be able to take an eligible upgrade from my account to get the Evo 3D, then give my current EVO (7 months old) to the other person who was eligible on my account. Does Sprint allow that?

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if I will be able to take an eligible upgrade from my account to get the Evo 3D, then give my current EVO (7 months old) to the other person who was eligible on my account. Does Sprint allow that?

sprint doesn't but my husband and i have done it through radio shack...i dont know if all radio shacks will do that though

ccano8

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Sprint with the same question and they said it would be no problem to switch the numbers. I saved a copy of my chat for proof......

Your Web Chat transcript
Your session ID for this incident is 2879998.
Time Details
05/26/2011 05:04:18PM Session Started with Agent (Allan S)
05/26/2011 05:04:18PM System: "Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Allan S."
05/26/2011 05:04:18PM ccano8: "I have a family plan with 2 lines. Can I buy a phone on one line and switch the phone to the other line. For example...I have an Evo 4G on the first line and a Palm Pre on the second line. The second line with the Palm Pre is due for an upgrade June 1st."
&nbsp If I were to upgrade that phone/line to say an Evo 3D, could I swap the phones and put the Evo 3D on the first line and the Evo 4G on the second line?
05/26/2011 05:04:37PM Agent (Allan S): "I am happy to help you. Please hold a moment while I access your account.."
05/26/2011 05:04:50PM ccano8: "ok, thanks"
05/26/2011 05:05:59PM Agent (Allan S): "You want to upgrade the phone on one time but activate it on another line."
05/26/2011 05:06:55PM ccano8: "yes."
05/26/2011 05:07:01PM Agent (Allan S): "Yes you can do that, you can activate the phone on other line."
05/26/2011 05:07:46PM ccano8: "Will I be breaking any commitments or since it is on the same account it is ok?"
05/26/2011 05:08:11PM Agent (Allan S): "No there will be no issue or the breaking of commitment."
05/26/2011 05:08:22PM Agent (Allan S): "You can activate the phone on other line."
05/26/2011 05:08:25PM Agent (Allan S): "I will also add the notes in your account for this issue."
05/26/2011 05:09:05PM ccano8: "Ok, great. That's all I needed. I appreciate your help."
05/26/2011 05:09:08PM Agent (Allan S): "A short survey follows this chat. Will you be able to respond yes to the question "Was your issue resolved on this chat session?""
05/26/2011 05:09:12PM ccano8: "yes"
05/26/2011 05:09:19PM Agent (Allan S): "Thank you."
05/26/2011 05:09:23PM Agent (Allan S): "It's been my pleasure chatting with you today. You???ll receive an email transcript of our chat after the session ends.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide survey feedback because the results help Sprint measure my performance.

Please click Exit"
&nbsp and Complete Survey.

Reactions: packpackpack

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I did the exact same you're thinking of doing. Upgrades are tied to the phone #, not the device. I upgraded a line on our family plan that was used as a spare line that was eligible for an upgrade from the Instinct to the Evo 4G. My main # was on a Pre, which I'd had for a year. After upgrading, I swapped the phone numbers, which placed the Evo on my main # and the Pre on the old Instinct's #. All that did was alter the upgrade eligibility. The # used by the Evo is eligible for an upgrade now, and the now two-year old Pre won't be eligible for another year.

Reactions: packpackpack

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I called Sprint after reading the last two posts. They said that I can definitely swap lines then take the upgrade.

I suppose I will need to factory reset my current evo so that the other line can download apps under their own google account and not have my apps on the phone.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
as a confirmation, yes you can do it. . . I have done it already.
Word of caution though I have found.

In my case I took the upgrade to one line and activated on another line on my acct. That was enough for them to reject the rebate stating it was not activated long enough on the acct. I called back in to have them fix it, but was a pain point. I had to make it clear that I swapped phones between numbers on my acct

Activate the number on the site too. They are ******s and cant figure it out by calling

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
This will work fine as long as you dont use some third party resellers like Amazon or a place like that which have requirements as to how long the device must be active on a certain number.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This will work fine as long as you dont use some third party resellers like Amazon or a place like that which have requirements as to how long the device must be active on a certain number.

Thats Sprint's requirement. not the 3rd party selling the phone. That is what I was saying above that happened to me.
I got it fixed, but dealing with those mongoloids was a pain.

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thats Sprint's requirement. not the 3rd party selling the phone. That is what I was saying above that happened to me.
I got it fixed, but dealing with those mongoloids was a pain.

And now, they tell me it doesnt matter any more because the rebate is in the form of instant savings. That is about to be extended they tell me.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to unroot to switch numbers?

No. . . rooting has absolutely no effect on anything. All rooting is doing is giving you admin rights to the phone basically.
They dont have a way to see you are rooted unless someone physically has the phone in their hand and scrolls through your apps to see Super user app. (if they even know what that is and means)

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
No you do not need to unroot, BUT you do need to go in with a Sense rom running on your phone. If they have to do a manual activation, which I have seen alot of have to be done on the Evo, a non Sense rom will not work. When you dial ##xxxxxxx# it will just sit there instead of the modify and veiw selection comes up.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No you do not need to unroot, BUT you do need to go in with a Sense rom running on your phone. If they have to do a manual activation, which I have seen alot of have to be done on the Evo, a non Sense rom will not work. When you dial ##xxxxxxx# it will just sit there instead of the modify and veiw selection comes up.
So you're saying my EPST has to be operating? Think mine is force closing at the moment.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

???

I agree on the EPST needing to work if they activate, but if you do it online I thought that bypasses the EPST part needing to be done?
Its been awhile since I did it so i could be wrong.