Need some advise

Yomero00

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I would like to start saying that, I will appreciate your help and comments regarding my issue. Also, I want to state that I am a newbie on "rooting" so, bear with me please ;).

After reading some explanations about what "rooting" means, and being a curious person by nature, I decided that it was time for me to learn how to do it on my hTc Evo Shift 4g with android 2.2. So, went on line and found tons of information about how to root your phone. I came upon a website that explains step by step how to do it. This is what I did:

Instructions
1. Install Terminal Emulator and a file manager (such as Astro File Manager) from the Market.
2. Extract the contents of the zip file to the SD card (this will create a directory called root_files on the card). When done, make sure you unmount your SD card from your computer if you had mounted it as a storage device to transfer the files.
3. Enable Unknown Sources (under Settings->Applications) and USB Debugging (under Settings->Applications->Development).
4. Using your file manager, navigate to the root_files directory on your SD card and select "com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk" to install the Visionary app.
5. Start the Visionary app.
6. Click on "Temproot now." Leave all other settings unchecked.
7. Start the Terminal app.
8. Type the following commands (the $ and # symbols represent the command prompt and should not be typed):

Then, did this:

$ su
# cp /sdcard/root_files/perm_root /data/local/perm_root
# chmod 777 /data/local/*
# /data/local/perm_root

Then,

# /data/local/tmp/flash_hboot

After following all this, I went back to Visionary, and by mistake I swear O:) -(yeah right. Isn't this what everybody says?)- I selected "perm_root" thinking of that would save all the changes I recently made on the phone. Then it appeared on the screen a message that said: "need to re-boot to make changes". Here is when crap hit the fan: the phone never re-booted. After waiting 10-15 min of staring at a black screen (your eyes start to hurt after min 6 if you don't blink), I decided to find out what the heck was happening? I tried pushing the power button on: nothing. Took the battery out, SD card, then power on: nothing. At this point, is where you start making a puzzle face and say "oops!" :confused:. So, I went back to the forums looking for answers. I have tried the combination of buttons: Volume up+power+insert battery. Volume down+power, Volume up+power+back/home/menu/ buttons, etc. Nothing.

So, at this point, I have learned "how to brick my phone". I understand that, modifying partitions and/or tampering with boot loading parameters lead to problems like mine but, is there a way to undo all this? Or, if there isn't a way to undo it, is there a way to reload the whole system?
I have found a few videos on how to "unbrick your phone" using different methods: combination of buttons: not working. Trying to access the phone using Odin: not detected by PC. Trying using Ubuntu: not detected by PC.

Honestly, I appreciate the time that you have taken reading all this.

Curious G.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I would like to start saying that, I will appreciate your help and comments regarding my issue. Also, I want to state that I am a newbie on "rooting" so, bear with me please ;).

After reading some explanations about what "rooting" means, and being a curious person by nature, I decided that it was time for me to learn how to do it on my hTc Evo Shift 4g with android 2.2. So, went on line and found tons of information about how to root your phone. I came upon a website that explains step by step how to do it. This is what I did:

Instructions
1. Install Terminal Emulator and a file manager (such as Astro File Manager) from the Market.
2. Extract the contents of the zip file to the SD card (this will create a directory called root_files on the card). When done, make sure you unmount your SD card from your computer if you had mounted it as a storage device to transfer the files.
3. Enable Unknown Sources (under Settings->Applications) and USB Debugging (under Settings->Applications->Development).
4. Using your file manager, navigate to the root_files directory on your SD card and select "com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk" to install the Visionary app.
5. Start the Visionary app.
6. Click on "Temproot now." Leave all other settings unchecked.
7. Start the Terminal app.
8. Type the following commands (the $ and # symbols represent the command prompt and should not be typed):

Then, did this:

$ su
# cp /sdcard/root_files/perm_root /data/local/perm_root
# chmod 777 /data/local/*
# /data/local/perm_root

Then,

# /data/local/tmp/flash_hboot

After following all this, I went back to Visionary, and by mistake I swear O:) -(yeah right. Isn't this what everybody says?)- I selected "perm_root" thinking of that would save all the changes I recently made on the phone. Then it appeared on the screen a message that said: "need to re-boot to make changes". Here is when crap hit the fan: the phone never re-booted. After waiting 10-15 min of staring at a black screen (your eyes start to hurt after min 6 if you don't blink), I decided to find out what the heck was happening? I tried pushing the power button on: nothing. Took the battery out, SD card, then power on: nothing. At this point, is where you start making a puzzle face and say "oops!" :confused:. So, I went back to the forums looking for answers. I have tried the combination of buttons: Volume up+power+insert battery. Volume down+power, Volume up+power+back/home/menu/ buttons, etc. Nothing.

So, at this point, I have learned "how to brick my phone". I understand that, modifying partitions and/or tampering with boot loading parameters lead to problems like mine but, is there a way to undo all this? Or, if there isn't a way to undo it, is there a way to reload the whole system?
I have found a few videos on how to "unbrick your phone" using different methods: combination of buttons: not working. Trying to access the phone using Odin: not detected by PC. Trying using Ubuntu: not detected by PC.

Honestly, I appreciate the time that you have taken reading all this.

Curious G.

I am not really proficient with HTC phones, and I did find a link that may help. It is a JTAG service that can possibly help unbrick devices. However, I have not had to deal with them yet, so I cannot verify how well the service works. JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer