Text Entry Shortcuts

smartphoney

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a former Palm Pre owner trying to get up to speed with my new EVO Shift. On my Pre, there were built-in text shortcuts. For example, whenever I typed "u" it expanded to "you" and "r" expanded to "are." Does Android and the Evo Shift have similar shortcut capabilities? I see there is an app called Smart Keyboard that may accomplish this but I'm wondering if this capability is built-in to the OS like it was on my Pre.

Analog

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Was that built in? I seem to remember having to hand-edit my auto text replacement file to make those shortcuts. I actually deleted all the stock autocorrect stuff (I can already spell) and replaced it with hundreds of custom shortcuts for my commonly used phrases, names, places etc., so you bet I miss it too.

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
Some people have created apps in the market that add this capability to on-screen keyboards (e.g., FireKeys Auto Text) but not sure whether it is possible to add it to the physical keyboard. If you turn on text prediction for the physical keyboard, you can get a sense of what kind of auto-correct capabilities are included.

smartphoney

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Was that built in? I seem to remember having to hand-edit my auto text replacement file to make those shortcuts. I actually deleted all the stock autocorrect stuff (I can already spell) and replaced it with hundreds of custom shortcuts for my commonly used phrases, names, places etc., so you bet I miss it too.
I'm certain these shortcuts were built in to the Pre because I never added or modified them.

Some people have created apps in the market that add this capability to on-screen keyboards (e.g., FireKeys Auto Text) but not sure whether it is possible to add it to the physical keyboard. If you turn on text prediction for the physical keyboard, you can get a sense of what kind of auto-correct capabilities are included.
I'm trying out the Smart Keyboard app which let's you create auto text shortcuts for the on screen keyboard but apparently not for the hard keyboard. Has anyone found any way (third-party app or otherwise) to create auto text shortcuts that can be used with the hard keyboard?

Kathy145

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I use Smart Keyboard Free as well. Under general settings there is the option to enable your settings to the physical keyboard.

I used to have the Bold 9650 and I know exactly what you are missing. I too was in withdraw from my shortcuts/custom shorthand. This app fixed all that for me. Plus it is free. The free and the paid versions are the same, expect a pop-up appears periodically to ask you if you would like to to purchase the app.

I tired FireKeys Auto Text and prefer Smart Keyboard. I like the options and customizations a lot more.

Reactions: smartphoney

wfjordan

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to move the cursor, using the keyboard, to the left or right without having to use backspace? E.g., if you make a typo, can you move to that point other than having to point to it by trial and error? Something like the cursor keys on a standard computer keyboard?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to move the cursor, using the keyboard, to the left or right without having to use backspace? E.g., if you make a typo, can you move to that point other than having to point to it by trial and error? Something like the cursor keys on a standard computer keyboard?

I just use the D-Pad on the phisical keyboard for that