My reason(s) for wanting the Flyer

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is the first tablet that I actually want to buy. The ability to write on the tablet has huge positive implication. If HTC managed to make the light scribe work properly, this feature could pave the way for tablets to become an essential device and not just to consume media. For example doctors and nurses could use this to make notes on patients charts, students could take notes in class without typing on a physical keyboard or typing on a glass screen.

As for me: I could see my self making notes when in meetings or editing resumes (I am an HR professional by trade) when I am on the bus, presenting resumes to clients, scribbling calendar appointments, making rough diagrams for presentations (on Evernote). And do the other mass media consumption stuff. By the way I am not an HTC fanboy-I actualy use the Samsung Fascinate. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mxh 5891

FatMikeNJ

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Cool, and I agree..... but how much are you willing to spend? If they want under $500, cool. But if they take the Samsung, Motorola, LG pricing route , then I'm going ipad/evo 4g lol....

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm leery that this thing isn't shipping with Honeycomb. HTC is generally good about updates, but this thing is running a VERY customized version of Android, which is undoubtedly going to make bringing a major update to Honeycomb a challenge for HTC.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I love Sense, but they want Sense on 3.0... I sorta like the 3.0 skin,we'll see though... if this is good enough I might get it rather than the Streak 7... if it has T-Mobile and a cheap price. By the way... is there a flash? Its kinda weird that you would want a camera on a tablet in the first place but its just a feature I like to have

Sent from my Nexus S

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool, and I agree..... but how much are you willing to spend? If they want under $500, cool. But if they take the Samsung, Motorola, LG pricing route , then I'm going ipad/evo 4g lol....

$500 to $600 is fine for me and as long as it comes in a wifi version.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm leery that this thing isn't shipping with Honeycomb. HTC is generally good about updates, but this thing is running a VERY customized version of Android, which is undoubtedly going to make bringing a major update to Honeycomb a challenge for HTC.

I know what you mean. HTC did state that they are aiming to have the Honeycomb update by Q2 of this year. Hopefully they can deliver.

Grokr

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
For me the Movie Streaming service through Saffron Digital on the flyer is key. Do any other android tablets have a way to stream movies becuase of the DRM issue? I read about Qualcom dealing with the DRM issue in hardware but that's going to be a while before we see tablets that have the new Snapdragon chips that support Netflix, right? I haven't heard anything about Nvidea doing anything similar to support Netflix.

bclapper

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This jumped to the top of my wanted list right when I saw it. Having a pen to take notes in class would be very nice. I was so pissed when Microsoft killed the Courier after they made that awesome concept video. I've been waiting for something like this.

Also didn't Asus have a tablet with a pen at CES? Where's that anymore?

csmith75

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to pay up to $500. Just need wifi-only (will tether to Evo).

I'm a fan of iOS and Android, but I view them differently. I have an iPad which is mostly being used for gaming at the time. Would like an Android tablet that is a little easier to carry around and more conducive to productivity which Android tends to be for me.

DRod

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been surprised by some of the anti-stylus comments floating around, and was pleased to see this thread actually bring attention to the advantages of adding that piece in. A stylus would also be handy for those wanting to do signature captures and document sharing via google doc. Depends on how much flexibility they give, and how many devs latch onto the idea.

Pricing is going to be a major point. Too many tablets are coming out with high end specs. This device will have to be priced well below to compete with the rest I think.

Overall I'm optimistic. HTC has done well thus far, and their track record lends credibility to this being a solid device. Q2 launch with a Q2 Honeycomb update as well. Good signs.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to pay up to $500. Just need wifi-only (will tether to Evo).

This part is what I'd do too. I'd like wi-fi only for the battery savings of not having a 3g radio. That might make me willing to hand down my Galaxy Tab to my mom, and switch to the Flyer.

Also there's a lot of talk about the stylus, but you can get a capacitive stylus for the iPad or Galaxy Tab too, they come with rubber or foam tips and work pretty well. I don't see that as much of a feature, my big selling point is HTC's reputation for software updates, which is a lot better than Samsung's.

bclapper

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This part is what I'd do too. I'd like wi-fi only for the battery savings of not having a 3g radio. That might make me willing to hand down my Galaxy Tab to my mom, and switch to the Flyer.

Also there's a lot of talk about the stylus, but you can get a capacitive stylus for the iPad or Galaxy Tab too, they come with rubber or foam tips and work pretty well. I don't see that as much of a feature, my big selling point is HTC's reputation for software updates, which is a lot better than Samsung's.

I excited about the stylus because of the notetaking app that syncs with evernote. I assume this will convert my writing into type, am I alone in thinking this?

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
i for one like the writing aspect. i will wear out that feature out if it is fluid and not buggy. i was reading that the flyer will the Onlive capability. has anyone used this service? how well does it work?

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
$500 to $600 is fine for me and as long as it comes in a wifi version.

Well since HTC is new to the tablet game, and have never had any sort of Wi-Fi only devices. I don't see this ever coming in Wi-Fi only. It will either be unlocked to use on which ever GSM carrier you please, or it will be for T-Mobile or AT&T.

I personally wouldn't mind putting this thing in a 1yr contract with T-Mobile and running it on their HSPA+, because at least here in the valley it is blazing fast every where you go. At only $40 a month.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well since HTC is new to the tablet game, and have never had any sort of Wi-Fi only devices. I don't see this ever coming in Wi-Fi only. It will either be unlocked to use on which ever GSM carrier you please, or it will be for T-Mobile or AT&T.

I personally wouldn't mind putting this thing in a 1yr contract with T-Mobile and running it on their HSPA+, because at least here in the valley it is blazing fast every where you go. At only $40 a month.

I have no assumptions that HTC will only make a wi-fi version but I do hope that they do make one. I am not too keen in paying another bill. ;)

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been surprised by some of the anti-stylus comments floating around, and was pleased to see this thread actually bring attention to the advantages of adding that piece in. A stylus would also be handy for those wanting to do signature captures and document sharing via google doc. Depends on how much flexibility they give, and how many devs latch onto the idea.

Pricing is going to be a major point. Too many tablets are coming out with high end specs. This device will have to be priced well below to compete with the rest I think.

Overall I'm optimistic. HTC has done well thus far, and their track record lends credibility to this being a solid device. Q2 launch with a Q2 Honeycomb update as well. Good signs.

I am not surprised by the stylus comments. Stylus received a bad rep from the old resistive screen smart phones. I am not going to comment on what os those devices were running. O:)

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am not surprised by the stylus comments. Stylus received a bad rep from the old resistive screen smart phones. I am not going to comment on what os those devices were running. O:)

Resistive touch panels are completely different from capacitive. Those screens got bad rep for touch input period.