What is the last version of OS that can be rooted?

twoaday

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all.

I was under the impression that I had the latest updates, which I would like to roll back so I can root in the future (now that there won't be a 2.2 update)

I thought I found the last version to be root-able, but when I started up the update util, it stated that I wasn't updating or downgrading - same version.

Here's my info:

Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 2.42.01.24.27
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build Number: 2.27.651.5 CL
Browser version: Webkit 3.1
PRI version: 2.20_003
PRL version 60666

Am I still at a rootable stage, or do I need to roll back? The link I found to roll back stated it would "update" me in the following manner:

From 2.27.651.5

To 2.27.651.5

Did I follow an inaccurate link somewhere, or am I still good to go?

Thanks!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all.

I was under the impression that I had the latest updates, which I would like to roll back so I can root in the future (now that there won't be a 2.2 update)

I thought I found the last version to be root-able, but when I started up the update util, it stated that I wasn't updating or downgrading - same version.

Here's my info:

Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 2.42.01.24.27
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build Number: 2.27.651.5 CL
Browser version: Webkit 3.1
PRI version: 2.20_003
PRL version 60666

Am I still at a rootable stage, or do I need to roll back? The link I found to roll back stated it would "update" me in the following manner:

From 2.27.651.5

To 2.27.651.5

Did I follow an inaccurate link somewhere, or am I still good to go?

Thanks!

You can root .5

twoaday

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You can root .5

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any method sprint can take to automatically update me without approval? I want the freedom to root when some solid builds of 2.2 are out, since there won't be an official one, but I'm willing to wait for kinks to get worked out.

I just don't want an upgrade from here on for a few months, and want to make sure sprint doesn't do anything "nefarious."

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any method sprint can take to automatically update me without approval? I want the freedom to root when some solid builds of 2.2 are out, since there won't be an official one, but I'm willing to wait for kinks to get worked out.

I just don't want an upgrade from here on for a few months, and want to make sure sprint doesn't do anything "nefarious."

The guide tells you how to change stuff so that yoou won't have that happen and all the custom roms should block them.

twoaday

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

I meant that is there a way to disable to automatic updates on an unrooted Hero running 2.1 with the .5? I don't want sprint to push a .6 to me without me knowing, and then requiring me to roll back.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

I meant that is there a way to disable to automatic updates on an unrooted Hero running 2.1 with the .5? I don't want sprint to push a .6 to me without me knowing, and then requiring me to roll back.

If you don't have root then the only way i know to,is choose don't download update whenever it pops up.

lexcoupe2100

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
So folks with the .5 will they be getting an update for the .6? and if there wont be a 2.2 what other updates should we expect to a non rooted hero?

twoaday

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd like some of the core phone and camera programs sped up, myself. I have shortcuts to people on one of my screens ( call wife, call parents, call friend X, call friend Y, call sister, etc). At times it takes literally 10 seconds from me pushing an icon and the the phone starting the call.

Likewise with the camera, it's a solid 3 seconds between me hitting the trackball to take the picture and the picture being taken.

To the ROMs out there speed up the responsiveness of any of these items? I personally care less about new features as I do performance improvements.