HOW-TO root your Sprint Hero (condensed and easy to read version)

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I can't get past the "Find New Software" portion of the tutorial. The option just isn't appearing on my computer. I have the USB Debugging selected and I'm using Windows XP. Please help.

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
The command line is the black box with white type in it, right?

Here's what my tools folder looks like.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1658/toolshelp.png

Which one do I click on? And most of them only flash open for a second before closing, then the ones that do stay open I can't type anything into them.

EDIT: Does having HTC Sync have anything to do with my problem?

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The command line is the black box with white type in it, right?

Yep. That's the one

Here's what my tools folder looks like.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1658/toolshelp.png

Which one do I click on? And most of them only flash open for a second before closing, then the ones that do stay open I can't type anything into them.

MY bad. The SDK Setup in in the SDK folder, and not the tools.

EDIT: Does having HTC Sync have anything to do with my problem?

If you have the HTC Sync app working properly then you have all the drivers installed.

Where exactly are you stuck? I assumed you can't get the SDK setup to open and download the driver, but now it sounds like you're having issues installing the driver you downloaded.

Did you get past the part where you need to download the extra components through the SDK window?

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I have all of the components downloaded and I can open the SDK window just fine. The part I'm stuck is right here...

Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows.

Select "Locate and install driver software."

Select "Don't search online."

Select "I don't have the disk. Show me other options."

Select "Browse my computer for driver software."

Now browse to the SDK folder, and point Windows to the folder named usb_driver. Click the image below to enlarge it and see the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK.

From this page http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my#comment-23635

The Bolded part is what's not happening and I'm stuck there.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
And HTC Sync is working?
If so you have the driver already installed. That's why it's not asking for it.

If HTC sync is NOT working -

Unplug the phone from the pc
Turn OFF USB debugging
Plug the phone back into the PC
Turn USB debugging ON while it's connected.

If that doesn't work, unplug your phone from the PC and reboot the PC. Plug back in and try again.

If that doesn't work, uninstall any version of HTC Sync you have installed. Download the newest version and try again.

I don't think there is anything special that needs done to get it working with XP, you're just having a string of bad luck :)

For reference, here's the skinny direct from Google about installing the USB driver in XP:

Windows XP: Perform a fresh installation

To install the Android USB driver on Windows XP for the first time:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port. Windows will detect the device and launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
2. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click "Next."
3. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"; un-check "Search removable media"; and check "Include this location in the search."
4. Click "Browse..." and locate the folder where you copied the installation package.
5. Click "Next" to install the driver.

Windows XP: Upgrade an existing driver

To upgrade an existing Android USB driver on Windows XP with the new driver:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.
2. Right-click on "My Computer" from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select "Manage."
3. Select "Device Manager" in the left pane of the Computer Management window.
4. Locate and expand "Android Phone" in the right pane.
5. Right-click "Android Composite ADB Interface" and select "Update Driver..." This will launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
6. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click "Next."
7. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"; un-check "Search removable media"; and check "Include this location in the search."
8. Click "Browse..." and locate the folder where you copied the installation package.
9. Click "Next" to install the driver.

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Okay. HTC Sync ironically didn't work when it worked a few hours ago when I started rooting this. I restarted my computer and it works, so I synced my device. I'm guess that does the same thing as
Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows.

Select "Locate and install driver software."

Select "Don't search online."

Select "I don't have the disk. Show me other options."

Select "Browse my computer for driver software."

Now browse to the SDK folder, and point Windows to the folder named usb_driver. Click the image below to enlarge it and see the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK.

Leave "Include subfolders" checked, and click "Next." Windows might ask you if you're sure. Say yes if it does. When windows does it's thing, and asks you if you want to install the "Google ADB interface driver" say yes.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay. HTC Sync ironically didn't work when it worked a few hours ago when I started rooting this. I restarted my computer and it works, so I synced my device. I'm guess that does the same thing as

Correct. If you have HTC Sync working, you can skip past the entire section about installing the driver and pick up at the next step.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
*Sigh*

More problems...

Right at step five is where things go wrong. There's the example in the link.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6046/sfhss.png

hmmm. My last guess would be to uninstall HTC sync and try installing the regular Android driver.

Problem is, if it doesn't work then you might not even have HTC Sync running.

Anyone else have issues with XP and the USB driver? Could use some input here lol.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
When I run the adb pull command I get zero files copied. If I choose a system folder or sdcard I get files. Any ideas? Here is my output:

D:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT9B2HF04201 device

D:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb pull /data/app/ d:\android\apps

pull: building file list...
0 files pulled. 0 files skipped.

D:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools>

ccapasso

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
hmmm. My last guess would be to uninstall HTC sync and try installing the regular Android driver.

Anyone else have issues with XP and the USB driver? Could use some input here lol.

I have not seen a problem with XP yet. Usually if HTC Sync installs ok, your device is recognized. I wonder if he happens to have USB Debugging Disabled.

If all else fails, install PDAnet. That will 100% for sure install the correct drivers. I am on win 7 64 and had problems. I uninstalled HTC Drivers, installed PDAnet and no problems :)

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site

I never used the htc sync that came with the hero. This is how i had it working on XP. HTC Hero - HTC Sync upgrade for HTC Magic, Hero &Tattoo
I installed the euro sync,copied the driver folder from it, uninstalled sync. When i plugged my phone in it asked to look for the drivers for this device,I chose to find them myself.Then chose for it to install the drivers that i had copied.I never had problems after that.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
So does flashing your phone with a new software (I flashed the DamageControl ROM) unroot your device? I've noticed my phone freezes on the SU Request black screen. So how do I know if I'm still rooted?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
So does flashing your phone with a new software (I flashed the DamageControl ROM) unroot your device? I've noticed my phone freezes on the SU Request black screen. So how do I know if I'm still rooted?

Your still rooted. As far as I know only way to unroot would be to run stock ruu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress