EAS actually works on the Hero?! (kinda)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Let me start by saying I used to carry 3 phones around all the time. 1 personal, and 2 are for work. I have gotten rid of 1 work phone, mostly, thanks to Google Voice. The other work phone i could not ditch because the Sprint Hero doesnt support EAS (or so i thought). Here's the weird part ....

My companies EAS policy is as follows,
1) The phone must be password protected. That password must be a strong password which would include, atleast 8 digits long, must contain uppercase, must contain lowercase, must contain a number, must contain 1 symbol/character.
- The Hero does not have a password setting (that im aware of). It has a pattern setting ...
2) The phone must time itsself out after a maximum of 30 minutes of not being used and require the strong password to be entered.
- Again because the Hero uses a pattern and not a password, it does not meet this rule
3)Phone must support remote wipe (kill pill) in the event of company termination or lost phone.
- Hero does not support this function.

Because of all the stuff listed above, my company has avoided Android devices until proper EAS support is included. With that in mind, I never tried setting it up on on my companys server. Just for S's and G's i decided to give it a go the other day just to see what would happen and wouldn't you know it .... IT WORKS!!!!!

I am able to; get mail (all folders), Delete mail, accept meeting requests (cant send response), sync calendar, sync contacts, and access the company directory. The major downfall is I cannot send emails which is apparently a known issue thats addressed in 2.x

I called one of my friends in Windows Server Engineering just to see if the policy had been changed and it hadn't. When i showed him my device was android, not password protected, and he couldn't remotely wipe it (yes, we tried lol) he was baffled. Luckly he's my boy and he's not going to say a word but we has stunned and the only thing he could figure was the Hero was somehow spoofing these functions which allowed it to communicate with the server.

Anyway if you've been avoiding setting your Sprint Hero up on EAS I say give it a try, you might be surprised!!

TheReclinerJockey

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You are aware that there are multiple apps that support remote wipe correct? I don't know if EAS is a specific remote wipe system that is needed to run correctly on the phone, but in case you were wondering try searching wipe in the market.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You are aware that there are multiple apps that support remote wipe correct? I don't know if EAS is a specific remote wipe system that is needed to run correctly on the phone, but in case you were wondering try searching wipe in the market.

Yes i know but they do not work with EAS. Those only work for their specific product and cannot be controlled by an EAS server so for a major corporation like what i work for those are not suitable. The ones your referring to are for personal use, not to control 13,000 cell phones.

chapaj

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, my exchange server allowed me to connect and read but I couldn't send. I use TouchDown for full EAS support. It's only $20 and worth the price.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, my exchange server allowed me to connect and read but I couldn't send. I use TouchDown for full EAS support. It's only $20 and worth the price.

I don't use any special apps for EAS support. With TouchDown does it let you send emails or is that still a no go? $20 is kind of steep but i guess if it works, cant argue with that ....

I heard 2.x has full support for EAS so i would hold off cause my Hero will be 2.x sometime in 1h 2010.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
$20 is "steep" ? And for a business phone??

Well ... when i could easily spend $20 at a bar enjoying social interaction ... or maybe taking a female out to see a movie, the idea of spending $20 for a piece of software for a mobile device that will in the near future support the function as a native part of the OS (reference Andy Rubin article), yes $20 is quite steep.

Also as I stated above, this is my personal device. Started with 3 phones (2 work 1 personal) was able to get rid of 1 work due to google voice leaving 1 personal, 1 work. Trying to get EAS to work on Hero to eliminate the remaining work phone making the Hero the personal device ;)

chapaj

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't use any special apps for EAS support. With TouchDown does it let you send emails or is that still a no go? $20 is kind of steep but i guess if it works, cant argue with that ....

I heard 2.x has full support for EAS so i would hold off cause my Hero will be 2.x sometime in 1h 2010.

Yep, with TouchDown you can send and receive emails. It supports the password security feature. It's totally worth the price. You can try out the demo for 15 days on the market.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yep, with TouchDown you can send and receive emails. It supports the password security feature. It's totally worth the price. You can try out the demo for 15 days on the market.

Thanks for the heads up man! I'm gonna check it out today.

I was speaking with the director of communications for the company i work for while at lunch and when i was asking her about the integration of Android into our company she mentioned that currently our company considers any person with OMA and an Android device a security threat. That person can access company information on a device that's in no way locked, and can't be wiped by the company in the event of termination or lost device. All they can do is delete the persons OMA account which will stop them from syncing but not remove the data already loaded onto the device :eek:

I have my fingers crossed for native EAS support soon!!!!

chapaj

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up man! I'm gonna check it out today.

I was speaking with the director of communications for the company i work for while at lunch and when i was asking her about the integration of Android into our company she mentioned that currently our company considers any person with OMA and an Android device a security threat. That person can access company information on a device that's in no way locked, and can't be wiped by the company in the event of termination or lost device. All they can do is delete the persons OMA account which will stop them from syncing but not remove the data already loaded onto the device :eek:

I have my fingers crossed for native EAS support soon!!!!

According to the website, TouchDown supports remote wipe, but I've never tried it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch