HTC clock widget bug?

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a minor issue where the HTC clock/weather widget on the home screen runs an hour behind (ie: current time 4:51pm, widget shows 3:51), while the correct time displays in the notification bar. I've reset my home city, tried to fake it out by selecting a major city in the same time zone, shut off gps, turned off network defaults and set manually, reset my profile, rebooted, and thus far, nothing helps. My home city displays in the menu screens with the correct time, but there is always a "current" location with a one hour lag just above it at the top of the list. The current location cannot be deleted, and the widget defaults to "current", which is always an hour behind. Any ideas? TIA

esanger02

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I am not too sure. I have been playing with my Hero since the 9th when i got it from BB and i havent encountered a single problem anyone else is having (i know right? i actually got lucky for once!). The easiest thing to do is call Sprint technical support at this time and explain the issue, they may be able to assist you further. Sorry i cant really help out.

thither

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen this behavior myself, but if you're one hour off is it possible the phone thinks you're in daylight savings time?

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not too sure. I have been playing with my Hero since the 9th when i got it from BB and i havent encountered a single problem anyone else is having (i know right? i actually got lucky for once!). The easiest thing to do is call Sprint technical support at this time and explain the issue, they may be able to assist you further. Sorry i cant really help out.
Thanks, Sprint Level 2 TS gave up and pawned me off on HTC. I haven't called them yet; decided to go the forum route first.

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen this behavior myself, but if you're one hour off is it possible the phone thinks you're in daylight savings time?
I don't think that's the case, because the system phone on the notification line shows the correct time. I'm leaning towards wondering if it's because just above my city in the hometown list, there is another city with the same name as mine, but in a another state and time zone that just happens to be one hour behind. I wonder if there is a bug that it defers to the first city of that name rather than mine.

wysiwyg

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a similar issue.

The "Network" clock displays correct time. The "Flip" clock display is one hour ahead. BUT when I drive to the next town 10 miles south of me the "Flip" clock displays the correct time.

I live in St Peter MN, IMO it thinks I'm in St Petersburg FL?

c4sp14nx

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem in Grove City, OH (near Columbus), except that the time here is 3 hours earlier than it should be. If I drive around town, the time displays fine in other localities, both larger and smaller. Also, the problem seems to be only with the HTC clock widgets...the Android clock widget works fine.

I posted about this on the Spring forums: Wrong time only on HTC clock widgets...?

I should say, too, that the problem isn't with my phone...my wife and I both got new Heros, and both are doing the same thing.

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem in Grove City, OH (near Columbus), except that the time here is 3 hours earlier than it should be. If I drive around town, the time displays fine in other localities, both larger and smaller. Also, the problem seems to be only with the HTC clock widgets...the Android clock widget works fine.

I posted about this on the Spring forums: Wrong time only on HTC clock widgets...?

I should say, too, that the problem isn't with my phone...my wife and I both got new Heros, and both are doing the same thing.
I just read your linked thread where you mentioned you wanted it to work properly while traveling to Chicago. Bad news: I'm in a Chicago suburb and the widget reads an hour slow. I haven't gone into the city with the phone yet, but I'll let you know what happens when I do.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a minor issue where the HTC clock/weather widget on the home screen runs an hour behind (ie: current time 4:51pm, widget shows 3:51), while the correct time displays in the notification bar. I've reset my home city, tried to fake it out by selecting a major city in the same time zone, shut off gps, turned off network defaults and set manually, reset my profile, rebooted, and thus far, nothing helps. My home city displays in the menu screens with the correct time, but there is always a "current" location with a one hour lag just above it at the top of the list. The current location cannot be deleted, and the widget defaults to "current", which is always an hour behind. Any ideas? TIA

I have this same issue and tried for a while to correct it without any luck. Seems like an odd bug to have right out of the box. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

jayroc80

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I had this same issue to Arlington, VA. My phone clock was displayed correctly, but the widget clock had the incorrect time, it was running behind by one hour.

I emailed AccuWeather support (support@accuweather.com) and they responded immediately. They asked my what version of AccuWeather was being used by my device. Hopefully they are working on a solution.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. When I'm at work my widget shows me 3 hours behind what it should be.

I emailed HTC support and haven't heard anything back.

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Good news: The alarm appears to be linked to the system time, not the widget. If you tap on the time widget and set the alarm to the actual time that you want, without compensating for widget error, the alarm will still ring at the correct time.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
HTC wrote me back yesterday and stated that

"we are aware of this issue and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We understand how exciting it is to buy a new device and how disappointing it can be when you discover a 'bug'. Rest assured we will have this resolved in the near future."

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Panama City Beach currently. The HTC clock widgets don't display the correct time consistently. Sometimes the widget is 1 hour ahead. PCB is just barely in the Central time zone, so maybe it's a location fix problem.

FrankBlack

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I experienced this for the first time today. I was thinking exactly the same thing you were regarding the city name. In general, the HTC Sense interface has been lovely and one of the best parts of owning the Hero. But today, as I drove through Arlington, the weather widget changed to show "Arlington" as the correct location. The trouble is, I think it may have thought I was in Texas, so the clock went back an hour. When I got home it fixed itself. The phone time itself (located in the upper right corner of the display in small characters) is correct. The large "clock radio" style time was the one that was off, so I'd lean toward an issue with Sense or the weather widget.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I experienced this for the first time today. I was thinking exactly the same thing you were regarding the city name. In general, the HTC Sense interface has been lovely and one of the best parts of owning the Hero. But today, as I drove through Arlington, the weather widget changed to show "Arlington" as the correct location. The trouble is, I think it may have thought I was in Texas, so the clock went back an hour. When I got home it fixed itself. The phone time itself (located in the upper right corner of the display in small characters) is correct. The large "clock radio" style time was the one that was off, so I'd lean toward an issue with Sense or the weather widget.

Yeah during the email (part i didnt post) HTC mentioned that my phone was mistakenly thinking i was in Ontario, California rather than Ontario, NY.

Either way it sounds like we'll be getting a firmware/OS update sometime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez