Closing applications

Luisgb

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
so aside from downloading Task Manager 1.10.7, how do you actually close down an app without having to check the task manager to see if it closed?... obviously the home key doesnt do it and only a few apps give you the option when you hit menu in them....

Tuk

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
From what I've read the Android O/S will automatically monitor programs and processes as it needs memory. The task manager simply lets you manually do it. If the app you are running does not give you the option to close it down through the menu options than it will simply sit in the background until the phone decides it's resources are best used elsewhere or you close it with a task manager program. Hope this helps...

anon(697)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
If the app doesn't have an option to close it then normally the phone's Back button will do it - use that rather than Home. Some apps don't close though unless Android thinks it needs the resources - Browser, Phone, People etc.

Dave

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
i always seem to see sprint navigation running, i never use it. does this make sense?
Mine is running after a reboot and i shut it down using taskiller but every once in a while i see it has started up for some reason. Doesn't bother me just curious as to while it loaded back into memory.

Maybe i got a text or picture mms/email that was geotagged and it just got it ready should i need it lol

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Taskiller was recommended to me as a must-have app. But so far I'm not convinced that I can do a better job of manually managing things than Android does by itself. I figure that if the phone gets too sluggish -- which it has yet to do in 2 days of heavy use -- then a reboot will get things back under control. (And the reboot takes only a fraction of the time the Pre requires.)

Wiseguy158

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
My hero seems to do a decent job of keeping things in control. Another option is when in a program, rather than just pressing 'back' or 'home' - press the 'menu' key and see if the program its self has a close or exit program option. A lot of the ones I've tried out do...Aside from that, I just use Task Manager 1.10.7, which I found to be my favorite out of a couple high rated task manager programs.

RhinoDoc

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I am afraid I have had too many bad experiences with WinMo not shutting things down. I am anal about opening task manager to shut things down as soon as I am finished with them. I will need to learn to just let things go and see what happens.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree the Hero seems to do a good job managing apps but Ive had It slow down a bit on occasion but nothing major.