HTC Hero Tips, Tricks, and Easter Eggs

Angelo921

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
One I stumbled upon - if you're in an app that uses location and you've moved enough that your location had to reset (looks to be about 8-10 km before it looks for new data, at least in the HTC weather widget), often times it will get stuck and not refresh. Rather than reset the phone, open Gmaps and update your location.

Does the Hero use more battery by having the HTC weather widget look for your location rather then just display just one location?

sparda07

Android Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
found out today that u dont need the ringdroid app there is a built in ringtone editor in the music app on the hero..
Just open the default music app,select a song, hit menu, then tap set as ringtone,tap trim ringtone.save and done
means one less app u have to download and more space on the phone...

Last edited:

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
found out today that u dont need the ringdroid app there is a built in ringtone editor in the music app on the hero..
Just open the default music app,select a song, hit menu, then tap set as ringtone,tap trim ringtone.save and done
means one less app u have to download and more space on the phone...

True but.... you can only do this with the MP3 files. Notice it's hit or miss when you go to trim as to if it allows you trim a ringtone or goes straight to "set as ringtone" for options. I have many different files for music not just MP3 so that is why I still use and love ringdroid.... plus ringdroid allows you to set the ringer for everything (alarm, text...) not just a notification or contact ringer like the stock app does. I agree the stock app is cool, used it before I discovered ringdroid. But Ringdroid allows you more control over what to do with the ringer once it's cut and what files it allows you to trim.

sparda07

Android Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
True but.... you can only do this with the MP3 files. Notice it's hit or miss when you go to trim as to if it allows you trim a ringtone or goes straight to "set as ringtone" for options. I have many different files for music not just MP3 so that is why I still use and love ringdroid.... plus ringdroid allows you to set the ringer for everything (alarm, text...) not just a notification or contact ringer like the stock app does. I agree the stock app is cool, used it before I discovered ringdroid. But Ringdroid allows you more control over what to do with the ringer once it's cut and what files it allows you to trim.

there is an app i found called ringerextended you can use it as a default app to assign ringtones anywhere you want.

soulfulzeta

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
If you have a ringtone folder already (e.g. from your sd card used on a previous phone). Move the folder to media then audio and change the file name to ringtones (With lowercase r) and the ringtones you already have will show up under the settings to change your default ringtone instead of going through the music application.

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
tips from a new android guy with a htc sprint hero. First hold the menu button to pull up keyboard, hold the search button to do voice search, hold end key for just a few seconds to bring up these options: power off, silent mode, vibration mode, airplane, or mobile network on/off. Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family

marktaylor22

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
tips from a new android guy with a htc sprint hero. First hold the menu button to pull up keyboard, hold the search button to do voice search, hold end key for just a few seconds to bring up these options: power off, silent mode, vibration mode, airplane, or mobile network on/off. Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family

THANK YOU for that tip! I didn't know their was voicedialing available! A+. Why is there no Thanks button on this forum? :)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This thread is for Tips, Tricks and Easter Eggs. Please do not post questions in this thread, as they will be deleted.

If you have a question, please search for an answer or start a new thread.

Fabrian

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
This is a minor tip, but normally when you type and use a period, you should tap the spacebar twice (any proper or formal writing). If your typing in text and end your sentence, instead of pressing period then space to start your new sentence, just tap the spacebar twice and it will put the period in for you.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
" Also hold send key to pull up voice commands (example: "call suzie"). So thats a few from my time with my new hero. Btw I'm an ex-blackberry guy and loving the android family " I knew this phone had to have this basic option... Thanks so much for this information.... With glove weather upon us it makes it easier to be able to call with less touches of the screen.

thither

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It took me a while to realize that you can have multiple windows open in the default web browser. When you're looking at a web page, if you long-press a hyperlink, you'll get a popup menu which allows you to open that link in a new window; then hitting menu / windows will allow you to switch between them. It's also much easier to navigate web pages by moving the trackball around than by hitting little text links with your thumb or finger - as you move the trackball different links are highlighted, and then you can press / long-press the trackball itself to open them.

Oh, one other thing: the trackball functions as arrow keys when you're typing, so you can use it to go back and correct mistakes.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
He meant you don't have to even type the period. Double space equals implied period.

Great tips! I'm 5 days into my Hero :)