MyTouch 4G Boot Loop When Charging

alizarr

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Have gone through tons of threads and no hope in sight so decided to
start one myself: MyTouch 4G (rooted and using Cyanogen) suffered a
bit of a fall (14 stories) and survived seemingly intact (no damage at all
to screen, a scratch or two on the outside). It turns on and off with no problem
whatsoever and works like a charm except for one pretty big issue: now when I connect
it to the USB, on wall charger or the computer it reboots automatically and
gets locked into a boot loop. Leaving the phone off and trying to charge it
this way causes the phone to turn on by itself and once again boot loop.
I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware failure (for obvious reasons), but
wanted to know what exactly was wrong and if there is any sort of solution.
Thanks in advance for any help!

mjneid

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Have gone through tons of threads and no hope in sight so decided to
start one myself: MyTouch 4G (rooted and using Cyanogen) suffered a
bit of a fall (14 stories) and survived seemingly intact (no damage at all
to screen, a scratch or two on the outside). It turns on and off with no problem
whatsoever and works like a charm except for one pretty big issue: now when I connect
it to the USB, on wall charger or the computer it reboots automatically and
gets locked into a boot loop. Leaving the phone off and trying to charge it
this way causes the phone to turn on by itself and once again boot loop.
I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware failure (for obvious reasons), but
wanted to know what exactly was wrong and if there is any sort of solution.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Update your Clockwork Recovery image to the newest one. or use 4EXT

alizarr

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the quick response! And you mean Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in Rom Manager? Did that, no change...

mjneid

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the quick response! And you mean Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in Rom Manager? Did that, no change...

Really odd. I know the old version of CWR had problems that you are describing. XDA and Cyanogen had post after post about this problem. but Koush fixed it in the latest release of his CWR.

I'm sorry that didn't work but it's the only thing i could think of.

dmitrymt4g

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I found a tip on this site:
MyTouch 4G Boot Loop Fix (kind of) - Android Forums
If the trick works, the real solution would be to take the phone apart and put it back together better.
To get it to boot, press the power button, then pick the phone up with both hands, holding the narrow ends, not pressing any buttons and twist it lightly. If that doesn't work, try applying pressure in various spots to see if it will go.

nitagro

May 15, 2012
Visit site
guys...surprisingly twisting the phone does work and it exits the boot loop. But its not a practical way of handling the problem. There's got to be some connection problem within the circuitry which gets fixed when we apply stress.

Has anyone tried to troubleshoot it further to find a more permanent solution? Its annoying.

rhandel

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with an 18 month old phone. Constant reboots when trying to charge. I have pressed many buttons at once to get it to respond.

T-Mobile is very unresponsive to replacing the phone. I will probably never get another HTC phone or use T-Mobile once my contract is up.

Has anyone else found a better solution? Or contacted HTC?

If it truly is a loose or bad soldier joint/connection has anyone tried to tear one apart to determine where it's located? I am wondering if it is very near the USB/power connector. Also, I presume that this will get worse with age and at some point fail permanently.

Any help would be appreciated.

RAH

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Go to fry's or radio shack and get some compressed air in a can. open the phone up with the proper tools and blow out ALL and any dust from EVERYWHERE!!! this should help. Whats going on is that the dust (lint from your pants pocket, or from you book bag or where ever you store it mostly) is conducting current and throwing it everywhere where its not supposed to go, thus shorting your circuit board. once you do this, it should go away. if your phone is still boot looping then your phone is dying :'( I'm going to do this tonight with my MT4G, and come back nd tell yall how it goes. If this does not work, then im going to get a new phone. preferably the HTC one or Galaxy s4. but before i do that im going to re flash my rom in hopes that i dont have to get a new phone :mad:

EDIT

wow i just realized that this is a really old thread. so no one might ever come back to this. anyway i did the above^^^ and it didnt help. even flashed CWM and that didnt help either. so now im going to re flash the rom.

Last edited:

Ale Victor

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution to d constant bootloop issue....very annoying by the way. So this is Hw I did it. While yhur phone is ON, get a really flat screw driver or smthin, Den go to yhur charging port ,use d screw to bend the top of d charging port downwards so it doesn't have contact wit d phone casing, do d same 4 d bottom but dis time bend it upwards. The bending shld nt b too strong.......afta dat as we all know twist yhur phone either by yhurself or wit sm1 while d screen is ON den plug in yhur phone while twisted wen u c it is charging let go and gently remove d charger now n c Wat happens.... I really hope this works for every1 who try it....N if it does Gud 4 Yhu, u jst successfully released yhur mt4g from the dreaded bootloop issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38