myTouch 4G Wi-Fi tethering is free?

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I got the myTouch last night (loving it by the way) and have unlimited data on it. I decided to try and see if I could tether. I did, and was able to without any hassle at all. My concern though is that I thought the myTouch 4G needed a tethering plan to be able to do it? I just don't want to tether and get a bunch of hidden fees on my bill. Anybody know what's the deal? Thanks.

Last edited:

tazzy695

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
yes it is free with tmobile as long as you have the unlimited data plan I use it for my main internet at home and on the road tis awsome

as a matter of fact tmobile seems to be the only major carier that dosn't charge for tethering

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
yes it is free with tmobile as long as you have the unlimited data plan I use it for my main internet at home and on the road tis awsome

as a matter of fact tmobile seems to be the only major carier that dosn't charge for tethering

Ah nice, this will be very useful. And yeah I know, T-Mobile may not have the best cell reception but they certainly have the best prices.

david20817

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.... I hate to throw out any bad news, but I do think Tmobile is charging $15 for at least the WiFi tethering even if you have an unlimited data plan, I'm not sure about USB tethering.

Are you able to tether WiFi without the plan? Just curious if you have already gotten the 1.17 update or are still on the 1.14 software release. I saw on another board a rumor that the 1.17 update locked the tethering so you needed the provisioning of the aforementioned $15 tether plan where maybe before it was open. I wound up calling Tmobile to get the plan added before even trying it so I can't help much on the data. I'm still on the 1.14 software, still waiting for my update (sobs on another thread).

-Dave

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.... I hate to throw out any bad news, but I do think Tmobile is charging $15 for at least the WiFi tethering even if you have an unlimited data plan, I'm not sure about USB tethering.

Are you able to tether WiFi without the plan? Just curious if you have already gotten the 1.17 update or are still on the 1.14 software release. I saw on another board a rumor that the 1.17 update locked the tethering so you needed the provisioning of the aforementioned $15 tether plan where maybe before it was open. I wound up calling Tmobile to get the plan added before even trying it so I can't help much on the data. I'm still on the 1.14 software, still waiting for my update (sobs on another thread).

-Dave

Dave, I am on the 1.17 update and yes, I am able to WiFi tether. I had no problems at all with it and it worked flawlessly, which is why it seems as though its free for me. Thanks for the help.

skidooman93

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Dave, I am on the 1.17 update and yes, I am able to WiFi tether. I had no problems at all with it and it worked flawlessly, which is why it seems as though its free for me. Thanks for the help.

You can tether for free as long a you are on a t-mobile tower. If you are on a different carriers tower you will get a "R" for roaming next to the signal bars. You will not be able to tether if you are roaming. Data on your phone will work but you will get sent to message page from TMO saying you dont have a tether plan to allow you on your computer.

However there is a way around this. Use firefox and download the "user agent" add on. Change the user agent to Iphone 3G. And then your phone will think it is a device using data not a laptop or computer. Works for me I use this method a couple of times a week, because I end up on "roaming tower" often.

It isn't roaming like it use to be 10 years ago when you had to pay extra for calls and txt. But TMO just shuts down tethering to a computer. All data used by your device is still free.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile Tethering Plan = $14.99

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-launching-14-99-tethering-plan-november-3rd

Its free if you dont start using tons of data like downloading netfix or something.
(if they dont know its free)
High data usage triggers red flags and you will get a text message and 30 seconds
later all forms of tethering are blocked.

T-mobile Blocking all forms of Tethering. - xda-developers

So if you are just doing email or surfing you are good.
They cant charge you without adding a service and they cant do that
without your approval.

;)

mcwuppy

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Can someone post a link on tutorial on how to tether via usb to my laptop, I've never done tethering before and I'm kinda lost. Do I just simly plug in my mytouch 4g to the laptop and play with it's wifi settings?
Thanks

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone post a link on tutorial on how to tether via usb to my laptop, I've never done tethering before and I'm kinda lost. Do I just simly plug in my mytouch 4g to the laptop and play with it's wifi settings?
Thanks

When you plug in your phone to your laptop just drag down the notification bar and select the USB notification. Then you'll see three options, charge only, disk drive, and tether. Select tether and you should be good to go.

going_home

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

If your laptop is wifi capable just turn on the MyTouch 4G wifi hotspot and use that.
Thats what I do, although I do plug the phone into the usb just to keep
it charged since the hotspot does use the phones resources.

;)

mcwuppy

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If your laptop is wifi capable just turn on the MyTouch 4G wifi hotspot and use that.
Thats what I do, although I do plug the phone into the usb just to keep
it charged since the hotspot does use the phones resources.

;)

Thanks for the reply but how would I prevent someone from using my cellphone's wifi?:D

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but how would I prevent someone from using my cellphone's wifi?:D

2 ways to do this. Encrypt the connection by adding a passkey and limit the number of devices that can connect. Both are very simple to do and once you enable the hotspot, go into the settings and perform these functions. The passkey can be done upon initial startup, but you'll need to go back into settings once it's active for the other (limiting the number of users.)

going_home

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

When I used the hotspot on my (Craigslist) MT4G the first
time it asked for a password.
I had to go into the hotspot settings to find the default password lol.
(which is 1234567890)

;)

cserrah

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same situation, where I can use the Wifi hotspot feature no problem. I just bought my phone the other day. However, I was afraid of getting charged for it so I didn't tether for long. But the in store reps told me that If i used that feature I would t-mobile would automatically charge me on my bill. Can they really add that 14.99 plan without my approval or are they just saying that to deter me? I'm assuming if you use the tethering long enough, you'll also get blocked.

Also, if I rooted my phone, could I just use a wifi tethering app without tmobile knowing?

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same situation, where I can use the Wifi hotspot feature no problem. I just bought my phone the other day. However, I was afraid of getting charged for it so I didn't tether for long. But the in store reps told me that If i used that feature I would t-mobile would automatically charge me on my bill. Can they really add that 14.99 plan without my approval or are they just saying that to deter me? I'm assuming if you use the tethering long enough, you'll also get blocked.

Also, if I rooted my phone, could I just use a wifi tethering app without tmobile knowing?

So far I have been using it and tmobile has not charged me or added a plan on or anything. My bill cycle ended a couple days ago so I'll check the bill when I get it to make sure. I don't think tmobile would block you eventually though because I dont think that free tethering was accidental or a slipup or something. I think tethering is free for people with an unlimited data plan and that some tmobile reps know that and some don't. And yes, if you root your phone you could use a tethering app.