Wifi obstructed by holding it a certain way.

Is this happening to you too?

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I found a little bug. It seems if you cover the top of the phone with your palm, you can greatly reduce your WiFi reception-to a point that sometimes you can cut it out completely. I've been frustrated by spotty wifi at the house. One time I noticed that I often drop Wifi when I hold it sideways. After some testing, it was clear that if the top of the phone is covered, Wifi reception drops immediately and dramatically. On a wireless "g" network, at 40 ft away, I still have full power. However, if I cover it with palm I can COMPLETELY cut off Wifi.

Is this happening to you too?

RTV

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I was able to reproduce your problem, however, I got the impression that the WiFi on the phone is pretty good (provided you don't hold your palm on top :)). I tested two Lenovo W500 laptops and the MT4G sitting next to each other, all on WiFi and I tested them with speedtest.net, and the phone beat both laptops by a huge margin.

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
RTV, if I watch youtube or read forum, I often hold the phone in horizontal position so it's really easy for me to lose wifi. Maybe I should just upgrade to wireless n.

Justified

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
While i don't have the MT4G, same thing happens with the DROID Incredible and happen's on my friends EVO, so maybe it's a HTC thing?

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback fredmr. What kind of network are you running (wireless b/g/n) and how far away from it were you when you did this?

Fwiw, wife's G1 phone didn't seem to be affected much by this method.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the special ATT Uverse 2wire modem is. Signal was about 150 feet away, through the tv, walls, and I was also on my second floor (modem on first). I've never once lost a wireless connection with this modem though, so it may just be well made.

Reactions: littlegreenguy

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You say it's a wireless g network, but nothing about the equipment itself... what equipment do you have??? Unless you are only talking to fredmr.

I prefer Linksys... I'm using one in the middle of my house without any issues, up stairs, down stairs, even in my garage... it's worked great with two past owned Blackberry's and my current myTouch4G... I've even put a death grip with both hands on my device... still no change in my bars.

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a D-Link wireless G network. I'm thinking of replacing the dated (4 years old) "G" network. If it does improve, I'll post it. Wife's G1 phone doesn't seem to be affected by this despite being on the same network. There could be other variables involved.

What are you running Fatboy97?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What are you running Fatboy97?

I'm using a Linksys WRTU54G-TM T-Mobile Hot Spot @Home Wireless G Broadband Router... I have the home phone service from T-Mobile, which I might go with someone else this year... or retire the service totally and go strictly mobile. If I did I'd probably replace it with a Cisco/Linksys wireless-N router. I've had very good luck with Linksys routers in the past.