Zoes and automatic uploads ...

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So a heads up for folks (like me) who like to auto-upload images to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever ...

When you take a Zoe picture, you'll actually end up with 19 jpgs and one mp4. And those will all upload to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever. So basically my upload folders are a freakin' mess right now.

zoe-doropbox.jpeg

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
That's just fantastic. You have fun with that. Meanwhile, the possible delay will give me time to get my upload settings figured out and folders prepared accordingly. I hope they keep Zoe going for the long-term. If they do then eventually they can correct for these kind of messes, maybe even work on the file format/file conversion.

Matthew Merkle

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
On the one hand, that's annoying. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want it any other way. Using a proprietary format for Zoes would just mean another dead format. This way, you have everything they use to make a Zoe without having to use proprietary software to use it.

However, based on the naming system you show in that screenshot, it looks like Zoes are using the exact same system that previous HTC devices (like the One X) used for their burst fire mode. And the result is similar, 20 photos being uploaded to Dropbox before you have a chance to do anything about it. Again, annoying, but I can deal. Doesn't take that much effort to "select all, delete".

integralus

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So a heads up for folks (like me) who like to auto-upload images to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever ...

When you take a Zoe picture, you'll actually end up with 19 jpgs and one mp4. And those will all upload to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever. So basically my upload folders are a freakin' mess right now.

Does it stick them in individual folders like the 100BURST mode on the One X, or throws them all in the directory quick and dirty?

Sent from my Nexus Potato 10 using internets.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Does it only upload them all to Dropbox whilst on wifi? If not, I can see it eating through data and most of us, bar a couple of carriers, here in the UK don't have unlimited data plans

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's up to Dropbox (currently has an option to enable or disable camera uploads over mobile data).

I better check the settings on my Dropbox account then. Currently neither of my phones do but I was wondering if it was a setting on the phone rather than on Dropbox. Thanks for clarifying.

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
This might be old news but it wasn't for me, found a pretty good solution for this on XDA after becoming annoyed again about not having auto-upload after showing my mam how to use it on her S2.

Download the free version of Dropsync from the Play Store
This lets you choose one folder to be auto-synced to a folder on Dropbox, as usual - choose DCIM/100MEDIA which is the standard camera folder, and Upload only.
Then in settings, choose "Exclude Name Patterns" and enter the following: **/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG*_ZOE???. jpg

It will then upload everything in your current 100MEDIA folder to Dropbox, as well as future stuff obviously, but because of what you've excluded, it will only upload the Zoe video file and one JPG - the one taken when you pressed the shutter button. Easy to set up and works great.

XDA thread is here: Zoe and Dropbox. - xda-developers

Hope this helps anyone who misses their auto-upload or puts up with a ludicrous amount of ZOE images in their Dropbox!

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the (free) version of dropsync is that it caps at 8MB file size, so while you don't get 100 million zoe shots, you also don't get your videos. Maybe that works for you (it doesn't for me). The paid version removes this restriction.

iamstillvince

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched to flicker, it only uploads the first zoe shot. However it doesn't do video, have it synching nightly to my home nas to backup the rest.

Posted via Android Central App

jgreeson25

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think this was a problem per se. Dropbox's app just automatically uploads everything if you have that function checked, meaning that all of the individual stills of a zoe are uploaded. This is my understanding, so I don't see how an upgrade to the operating system could change how dropbox manages its "auto upload" feature.

However, a change in the way that HTC's Sense 5 manages the way that zoes are stored on the device could prevent Dropbox's app from uploading every individual still shot that forms a zoe.

Tim Fennis

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Phil,

Do you have any idea to make this function appear again? Whenever i use auto upload in Dropbox it only saves the first Zoe picture, and the rest as a video. I do, however, want to have access to all the different jpgs from the Zoe (as you picture above).

Any idea how to accomplish this? i dont feel like going through all my zoes on my computer and separate/split each frame individually with an external application.

Cheers

cleveland216

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Open the Zoe in Gallery. Let it play for a moment. When it is done playing, drag the timeline to a stillshot you want to keep, then press the 3 dot menu. Click Save Frame. It will appear next to the Zoe in Gallery

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11