Smartphones are way too complex and have no instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I'm not even sure where to begin with this topic.

I keep hearing and seeing people say they can do everything with a mobile phone, yet I fail to see how.

So far, phones are extremely limited.

Take gmail for example, mobile devices are extremely watered down shells of gmail. The computer version has things like: trash, attachments, delete, I can create folders, move emails around, archive them, I can even log out.

but on a mobile device every single option I just listed above that's on a computer, doesn't even exist on the mobile version.

Another example is people keep mentioning various other things that there is no way to do. Such as change the back ground picture on their phone, or move around icons Sorry but those are not possible on a mobile device. and i mean teh options for doing that don't even exist on a phone.

On a computer I can right click and select a myriad of options. You cannot right click on a phone.

If I make a mistake on a phone contact, say I misspell a persons name or out the wrong digit, there is no edit option. Instead I have to delete the contact and start over, and hope I don't make a mistake the second time.

There is no way to download any picture from anywhere and save it unless the website the picture is on, allows for it.

I have no alarm, no music, no way to change anything. none of the features people claim a mobile device is supposed to have

The most annoying part about this is whenever I bring up this subject matter, I'll get asked really stupid questions such as did you do (insert whatever) and I'll have no clue what they're even talking about. They act like I'm supposed to know wtf things and statements such as long press, and swipe mean. I don't wtf they're rambling on about how about. I've been told something I was mentioning is in the settings..To which i replied my phone doesn't have a settings option, at least that I am aware of. I then get told it's in your app drawer...It's then i stop listening to them because i realize they're just going to continue on mentioning things as if I have any clue to wtf they're talking about. No I don't know wtf an app drawer is.

Also people keep saying something about google play store (whatever that means) and they say everyone gets their apps from there..I have to stop them because I don't, the one thing I did download was from the website of the place itself.

How about people ask me if I'm aware of something or do i know what (insert word means) instead of just saying random things to me and having me ignore you.

People look at me and say you're a troll, everyone knows how this stuff is done and then I get blocked.

People need to stop assuming things.

The biggest part about this whole mess is there isn't a single instruction booklet anywhere.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just because you lack a basic understanding of technology that the majority of the world has used for over a decade now doesn't mean people are trolling you or being fake. Touch controls are rather universal, things like swipe and long press have been around for 10 plus years now. Almost everything you claim a phone can't do has been possible for years. You can literally watch videos of phones doing all these things online.

You want equivalents to windows right? Notifications are swipe down from the top on Android, swipe from the right on Windows, but it's the same gesture. Looking for settings? It's the same gear icon on both platforms, located in the notification panel. Trying to right click? It's a long press on both to open a menu. Change your wall paper or background? Long press on the home screen/desktop to get options to change that. Need to move an icon on the home screen? Touch and drag it, same as windows.

As to the app drawer, you said you don't know what that is. The equivalent on windows would be your start menu, the app drawer on Android is where all of your installed apps are listed. Some phones have a short cut on the home screen to open it, others require you to swipe up from the bottom of the screen.

I'm surprised you don't know what the Google Play Store is since it is the primary way to get and install apps on your phone. It's Googles equivalent to the Microsoft Store which you've probably used at some point on Windows. Basically it's a store front to make it easy to find the apps you want while Google ensures that the apps are virus free and safe to download.

Phones can certainly scan QR codes, it's been around a long time but different phones handle it differently. It's only in recent years manufacturers added QR code scanning to their camera apps allowing you to interact with them, older phones and possibly some new ones from smaller manufacturers still require a separate app to do it. Samsung phones will read the code without an additional app, I don't know about your phone for that particular feature.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to block you now. I refuse to deal with someone who is perfectly fine with the the sarcasm and snide remarks from one side, but no one is allowed to say anything back in the same manor.
If you dont' say anything to everyone about this, then you don't say anything to anyone.

Favoring is a sure fire way to cause problems on a forum.

it probably isn't a good idea to talk to Mustang like that lol

You complained at the start of all of this that people were not explaining things in simple, basic terms so I tried to explain the term long press in simple and basic terms and then you accuse me of being sarcastic?

Well, I am pretty sarcastic lol. But trust me, you haven't even seen the beginning of it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@Randy Boggs, I was trying to break down your initial long list of concerns by first addressing your Gmail questions above, but didn't see any follow-up post from you about my response. When a user lists a long litany of questions or complaints, it can be very unwieldy to try to answer everything all at once. So let's back things up and focus on your Gmail questions first.

The terminology I used should be fairly familiar to anyone with a good amount of experience with PCs, but if anything is too confusing, just say "I don't understand [xyz], can you explain this a bit more?" instead of something like "wtf are you talking about speak english." Think about it, if you were trying to teach someone about a topic you were knowledgeable about, and the person you were trying to teach responded with this kind of attitude, would you (a) be able to teach effectively, and (b) even want to keep teaching that person?

Let's keep things calm and polite. Otherwise the thread will be closed and you'll be at risk for being banned -- review the community guidelines: Community Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
it probably isn't a good idea to talk to Mustang like that lol

You complained at the start of all of this that people were not explaining things in simple, basic terms so I tried to explain the term long press in simple and basic terms and then you accuse me of being sarcastic?

Well, I am pretty sarcastic lol. But trust me, you haven't even seen the beginning of it.
What are you both, 3?

You said that but yet it's perfectly ok for him to not only talk to me like that, but also defend someone else talking to me like that, all the while telling me not to do the exact thing they're both doing.

Right!

As I said favoring is a sure fire way to create problems on a forum, and so is defending the people that are the ones doing it.

Unfortunately for both of you, I'm not one of these people you're going to be able to irk into an argument via the situation you both obviously set up in order to create an argument.

I'll just block you!

I came to this forum to explain a situation and maybe get tings straightened out, not to get into a rules debate with people who cannot follow their own rules while telling others to follow the rules they're ignoring.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What are you both, 3?

You said that but yet it's perfectly ok for him to not only talk to me like that, but also defend someone else talking to me like that, all the while telling me not to do the exact thing they're both doing.

Right!

As I said favoring is a sure fire way to create problems on a forum, and so is defending the people that are the ones doing it.

Unfortunately for both of you, I'm not one of these people you're going to be able to irk into an argument via the situation you both obviously set up in order to create an argument.

I'll just block you!

I came to this forum to explain a situation and maybe get tings straightened out, not to get into a rules debate with people who cannot follow their own rules while telling others to follow the rules they're ignoring.
Randy we giving you a chance to redeem yourself

If you continue down this path instead of honestly getting help, further actions will be taken , No more warning!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Randy, we've already given you WAAAAAAAY more leeway than any other member even deserves. You're on very thin ice. Get back on track with what I was asking you about, and can it with the attitude.

Randy Boggs

Banned
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Let's keep things calm and polite. Otherwise the thread will be closed and you'll be at risk for being banned -- review the community guidelines: Community Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Don't tout rules at me that you yourself and others don't follow. You're telling me to knock off what you literally did to me yourself, and then you have people actually defending your actions. To top it off you have the balls to point to rules which you follow up with threats of a ban. All for what? Because you cannot handle having done back to you, what you did to me...LOL

BTW Threats of a ban don't bother me because they always come from people like yourself, who you antagonize people into saying something by being a wiseass themselves, and if they say anything back to you, you then throw that reply at them.

That's really going to get someone to listen to you.

If you cannot handle being told you're going to be blocked for starting problems, then I suggest you don't create problems with people. But I'm not going to sit here and tolerate this ganging up on me all because I said something back to you which you did to me.

As I said, favoring is a sure fire way to create problems on a forum.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You definitely seem very familiar to me, and I'm pretty sure we banned you previously for this kind of awful behavior. We gave you another chance, but I guess it's hard for people to change.

Good luck getting any help from anyone anywhere with an attitude like that -- not just in tech forums, but in life in general.

Also, don't bother trying to make another account -- we'll be able to tell it's you. And posting as a guest will be pretty clear, since your toxicity will show through clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa