car blue tooth, spotify

Rob Walker 3rd

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So my fiance asked me to check out why she couldn't get her one to sync up to the car to play her music. I searched through the forums a bit, found some okay discussions but still haven't really seen a good guide or help topic.

2011 Toyota Camry

feeling like a scrub because we both love our phones, and I'm the tech nut but I guess these are the ropes switching to an android!

Tl:dr- paired HTC one to the cars blue tooth, go to play music through spotify and awkward silence. Stereo and volume are on (I always try to test the obvious.)

Ideas or experiences?

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Volvo w/bluetooth (2012 C70), and I've noticed that some apps seem to work better than others with it. I had some troubles with Spotify too, and found that if after the phone & car had paired if I toggled bluetooth on the phone off then on again it would start playing.

The odd thing is I haven't had any troubles with the new Google music service, so far (knock on wood) it's started playing right away every time, and even has the correct song titles show. (Something Spotify wouldn't do even when it was working.)

XontheP

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2010 Kia Soul, and phone Bluetooth is great, but it won't stream music through Bluetooth. Turns out that the version of Bluetooth used in my radio will not allow streaming. For my car, one year later, 2011, and it's supported. I'll bet you have a similar issue. If that's the case, it's possible a firmware update will take care of that in your Toyota. Otherwise you can buy a newer radio, you can probably find a used one on eBay for less than $100.

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with Sync/My Ford Touch. If I try and use the USB cable to play Spotify music it refuses because it's "protected content." It plays fine through Bluetooth but does not have any song or artist data at all. Pretty lame. Not sure if the issue is Android, our specific phone or the Ford software.

Rob Walker 3rd

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2010 Kia Soul, and phone Bluetooth is great, but it won't stream music through Bluetooth. Turns out that the version of Bluetooth used in my radio will not allow streaming. For my car, one year later, 2011, and it's supported. I'll bet you have a similar issue. If that's the case, it's possible a firmware update will take care of that in your Toyota. Otherwise you can buy a newer radio, you can probably find a used one on eBay for less than $100.

would i contact the dealership about a firmware update?

XontheP

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'd look for a message board for your car model and search that. There will be others with the same issue. If Toyota has a technical support number you could try that also. You can try the dealership, but they may not have that information.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with Sync/My Ford Touch. If I try and use the USB cable to play Spotify music it refuses because it's "protected content." It plays fine through Bluetooth but does not have any song or artist data at all. Pretty lame. Not sure if the issue is Android, our specific phone or the Ford software.

I suspect it is a combination of Spotify and the way they handle music in their app, as well as Ford's software which always seems to have issues and be in need of updating. I really wish car makers would be a little more proactive with their software and work with phone companies more closely. It seems like there are always issues of some sort. It should be seemless. And things should work with every device out of the box. It would help if the Bluetooth protocol wasn't a moving target too. But such is life.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just Google your radio to see if it has A2DP...that's the protocol that's required to stream music. Your radio probably doesn't have it.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez