4G issue (Sprint), please help

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have Sprint (ugh), just wondering if this is normal. I do have 4G coverage in my area but it always seems to display "busy" under the 4G toggle button.

Is this draining insane amounts of power?

I also don't have any options in the 4G settings to set.

Anyone know anything about this? thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-23-09-32-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-23-09-32-34.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2013-05-23-09-46-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-23-09-46-44.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Sprint (ugh), just wondering if this is normal. I do have 4G coverage in my area but it always seems to display "busy" under the 4G toggle button.

Welcome to the world of Sprint! This is why I left them last year. However 4G will drain some extra battery. Some say up to 20% more battery? Also it really depends on your signal strength. Do you get 4G in other areas of your town? Also check out the Sprint forums here on AC. You can find some good information there as well.

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Well that's the thing...it never connects to 4G but I know I have it in my area because my last phone connected to it. It just keeps saying "busy" but never gives me 4G, that's why i'm concerned about the battery drain.

Thanks for the input, i'll check those forums.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
In the settings, under mobile data, do you have yours set to cdma and lte?
4yvavynu.jpg

dyryhadu.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that's the thing...it never connects to 4G but I know I have it in my area because my last phone connected to it. It just keeps saying "busy" but never gives me 4G, that's why i'm concerned about the battery drain.

Thanks for the input, i'll check those forums.

What was your last phone? Was your last phone connecting to 4g wimax? This phone only connects to 4g LTE. There is a difference.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What was your last phone? Was your last phone connecting to 4g wimax? This phone only connects to 4g LTE. There is a difference.

This is just what I was gonna ask. WiMax is the older 4G. Also where do you live? City and state and you can see if LTE is in your area on Sprint's website.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This is just what I was gonna ask. WiMax is the older 4G. Also where do you live? City and state and you can see if LTE is in your area on Sprint's website.

So if I read you right those of us in NYC, where there is only WiMax, will just have to suffer through 3G until Sprint decides to upgrade the network?

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Possibly yes. Check out sprints map for lte.

Sent from my HTC One

I am guessing you are right as 4G used to always come in when I was in NYC with my archaic Epic 4G. Now it rarely comes on and when it does I don't see any noticeable difference between 3G speeds. I did check out the map and no LTE anywhere near NYC. However, according to one of the Sprint Social Care folks at the Sprint Community website, Sprint is "working aggressively to roll out 4G LTE in NYC. Look for significant improvements within the next 3-6 months." Hope that is the case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at Sprint's web site. NY city has no LTE there. Unless its turned on and they are testing it. Looks like just WiMax and 3G coverage.

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov

Sprint's Website is the worst to check for coverage. Look at Jacksonville FL. It will say we have nothing for LTE ... Then go look at sensorly.com and you see we have lots of LTE. It just isn't "official".

Sprint's website will only show launched officially networks. Sensorly.com is user driven so users picking up LTE (that Sprint isn't reporting yet) will show. Always use sensorly first :).

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Can you change the settings for that toggle widget? #1 sprint 3g is not hsp, that's at&t, sprint is cdma....#2 since Jellybean came out turning off GPS doesn't really save you any battery, if you leave it on, apps will only use it when needed, the rest of the time it's idle...you also don't need to turn off wifi anymore, google now needs to show you cards, and it doesn't save any real battery power anymore....plus with them off you need to turn them on everytime an app needs them...leave them on all the time and they will come on when needed and save you from switching them....#3 make sure as Cattails said your settings are set to LTE/CDMA, then you don't need that toggle either...when it sees LTE it will connect automatically, again, doesn't really make a difference battery wise....

Now that being said....my One wouldn't connect to 4G LTE when I first got it either, so I went to an LTE area that I had LTE on my EVO 4G LTE and did a PRL update, then a profile update and it's been toggling on and off perfectly since then....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez