How to tell if 3G, 4G, LTE?

Giffen23

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering how to tell if your data is using 3G, 4G, or LTE. I barely use data at all as I'm always connected to wifi but I'm just curious as to how I know what I'm getting if I were to use it when I'm in town and what not.

Thanks,

Luke :cool:

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
You can look in settings about device..status and it will how you the type signal and so will the notification area at the top of the phone

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Typically, carriers "bake" indicators that show up in the notification bar of most smartphones. I see a "3G","4G" or "4G LTE" in my status bar if my mobile data is turned on and I am NOT connected to Wi-Fi.

Most phones are designed to automatically connect to a Wi-Fi network when available, overriding a mobile data connection.

From my LG Optimus G E970

Giffen23

May 29, 2013
Visit site
You can look in settings about device..status and it will how you the type signal and so will the notification area at the top of the phone

Yeah I did this, I see the two arrows up and down with a 'H' above them. Looked and found out it was HSDPA. What the heck is that?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering how to tell if your data is using 3G, 4G, or LTE. I barely use data at all as I'm always connected to wifi but I'm just curious as to how I know what I'm getting if I were to use it when I'm in town and what not.

Thanks,

Luke :cool:

All I ever seen my HTC One
Is
2G= Edge
4G=HSPA+
4G with LTE at bottom =LTE
Like this
hydehu4u.jpg

Funny I never did see a 3G status
On my HTC One yet

Sent from Da Coconut Wireless HTC One

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
This really depends on the carrier. Us Sprint users will show either 3G or 4G on the network. The 3G means EVDO or less, the 4G means LTE. Those on gsm phones will have other things since 3-4-5G is a term to describe a speed range and not a certain technology. Do a quick wiki search to learn more about the terms. If I remember correctly for gsm "edge" was considered 2.5G, HSPA 3G and HSPA+ 3.5G. The "G" simply stands for the generation the speeds attained by the technology kind of fall in. For instance, if for some reason some company released a new cellular data protocol this year that only was able to get 1mbps bandwidth it would be 3G technology. I hope that helps.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
On most/all of the more recent phones (past 1-2 years) on T-Mobile, you will not see a 3G indicator, they consider HSPA 4G so phone will go from 2G to 4G to 4G LTE. I have never seen a 3G on either my One S or One, nor on the Windows Phone 8X..

sramabadran

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have briefly seen 3G flicker on the screen with T-mobile. I have an HTC One (International unlocked). It shows "H" most of the time. I have never seen "4G" or "4G LTE". I assume that's because this phone HTC One cannot operate on the frequencies that T-mobile uses for real 4G in the US.

Skidhillbilly

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Download this app at the play store,
LTE discovery
It looks like the four signal bars at the top of your phone.
It will tell you if youre receiving a LTE signal or not, it will tell u what signal u are getting and easily search for nearest towers for best signals.
I have an older galixy 2 and use family mobile (tmobile walmart plan) which does not support hotspot anymore but Im grandfathered in so I still get hotspot with HSPA+ , Its fast enough to stream YOUTUBE and PS3games without too much lag or loading.
However cannot receive an LTE signal on my plan which sucks because LTE is like twice as fast as HSPA+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra