Higlights?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
all phones have a few shortcomings. I have the One and GS4 and they both have several shortcomings. He didn't anywhere state that it is a bad device. I think we all know what his preference is but I don't think that his original post in this thread was meant to bash the One.

As for making highlights from dropbox photos. I don't see it as a workaround. The highlight feature isn't just meant to work with photos taken on this device. Obviously, the phone will only automatically compose highlights based on the photos that are in your daily event folder but it is easy enough to import photos from any source and create a highlight. Like said in other posts, I really wish HTC would market this feature more. Having young kids it is a huge selling point for me over the GS4 although the GS4 camera is more to my liking. But in the end I find myself still using the HTC camera more due to the speed and HTC features.

I agree it is a great feature, but it is a workaround when you have to create folders from the original event in order to put only the pics/zoes that you want into that highlight. The select feature does not work. And, IMO it should not be there if it does not work. That's an annoyance and that's not marketable since it doesn't really work! It would be so much nicer if i could select my photos and the length of my Highlight based on the photos that i have chosen. That would be awesome! The workaround is having to create folders from an original event just to get the pics in that highlight that you want! I agree that it would not be a workaround to create highlights from pics you pulled from your computer. However, i do consider anytime you have an album thats accessible in your HTC One gallery(Dropbox) where you have to first download the pics into a new folder, and then create your highlight is absulutely a workaround in the purest sense of the word! You should be able to choose pics in Dropbox and create your highlight directly from within the album/event. If an album is in your gallery, you should be able to highlight whatever you want at whatever length you want without creating 20 new albums! i'm sure i have at least 100 different events in my Dropbox account...does it really seem feasible to create even 40 new albums on my phone just to create highlights? To me, that is cumbersome. If an album or event is in my gallery, i should just be able to open and select my pics and create my highlight....That is the update i'm looking for with Highlights. IMO, it's not marketable in it's current iteration and that's probably why you haven't seen it marketed as of yet. It is unfinished! You've seen Boomsound and Blinkfeed marketed because they are fairly polished and marketable!

Also, I do consider it a bash to say something has "many shortcomings!" I don't think any one person would be comfortable with another stating that they have "many shortcoming!" i think we can all accept a few shortcomings, but i wouldn't buy an HTC One based on the OPs statement. This is my reframe of it ... take it as you will---- the HTC One has"many shortcomings" with the exception of highlights, however, i can't get highlights to work with dropbox!

Before you respond, really consider whether or not you would want this phone based on his OP!??

And, i have read the ops history.. he has gone back and forth about the quality of the HTC One and it's camera in depth. I do not believe his request for help was sincere knowing his history. I just think he wanted to drop the "many shortcomings" to detract from the prowess of the phone. He could have easliy asked his question without the "many shortcomings" comment!!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
In future incidents, if you have an issue with something a member has posted, feel personally offended, or believe their post to be trolling, please, either report the posts for the moderaters to handle, or private message myself or another moderator with your concerns. It applies to everyone who may have an issue or needs assistance.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2
I want to apologize for my rant/insult to the OP, It was in bad taste and hope that you all can let bygones be gone... I must have had bitter coffee this moring,,LOL!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I want to apologize for my rant/insult to the OP, It was in bad taste and hope that you all can let bygones be gone... I must have had bitter coffee this moring,,LOL!

No arguments from us. ;) Today I learned that it is, in fact, possible to include externally-captured photos in Highlights.. which is cool.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We like to see members handle such situations on their own without the need for an external push. Just keep in mind in the future some of the things we discussed and things will be fine :)
And this makes me wish zoes worked on the Rom I'm running :(

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
We like to see members handle such situations on their own without the need for an external push. Just keep in mind in the future some of the things we discussed and things will be fine :)
And this makes me wish zoes worked on the Rom I'm running :(

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

A powerful argument AGAINST the Google One is the lack of Zoe's/Highlights.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No arguments from us. ;) Today I learned that it is, in fact, possible to include externally-captured photos in Highlights.. which is cool.

It's funny because I was initially confused with the thread. After importing some pictures from my EVO 3D I noticed the phone had placed those photos in events and made highlight videos so I assumed everyone had run across this. Then I realized that some people may not have imported previous pictures and they would have no idea that this feature works like this so I posted my reply. I'm glad to have helped. Fun fact, if photos are geotagged and the location and time data is similar the One seems to put these in an event even without being in a separate folder. I was pretty impressed when I noticed this.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's funny because I was initially confused with the thread. After importing some pictures from my EVO 3D I noticed the phone had placed those photos in events and made highlight videos so I assumed everyone had run across this. Then I realized that some people may not have imported previous pictures and they would have no idea that this feature works like this so I posted my reply. I'm glad to have helped. Fun fact, if photos are geotagged and the location and time data is similar the One seems to put these in an event even without being in a separate folder. I was pretty impressed when I noticed this.

I started clean on my One except for my dropbox folder. I can't wait to play with this an bring life to my pre-One pics. Everytime I post a highlight reel to Facebook the response is huge.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
A powerful argument AGAINST the Google One is the lack of Zoe's/Highlights.

This is the single biggest reason I've decided against the Google Edition One or S4. The OEM's have much more powerful camera features. I do miss the heck out of Photosphere, but even with Photosphere the stock camera app is no comparison to the one on the One or the S4.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is the single biggest reason I've decided against the Google Edition One or S4. The OEM's have much more powerful camera features. I do miss the heck out of Photosphere, but even with Photosphere the stock camera app is no comparison to the one on the One or the S4.

Aren't there 3rd party apps that give the ability to Photosphere?

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Slightly O/T but one thing re: imported old photos that is incredibly irritating is that the phone doesn't seem to be able to interpret portrait photos properly that weren't taken on the phone itself. For example, I have pics from a friend's wedding last year that I have imported and put into a separate events folder - great. It dates them and places them in order amongst my other imported albums. But all photos that were originally taken in portrait appear in the wrong orientation and when I go to try and edit > rotate, two things happen:

a) the photos don't even rotate once saved, it simply doesn't work
and b) the album then appears amongst my new albums, as having occurred on the day of edit.

Incredibly annoying.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to read through the thread and figure out how to incorporate "other" pics with the highlight videos soon---but there is one thing that has perplexed me about the highlight videos that no one is talking about. If "Islandia" is used as the format, there are all kinds are vertical and squiggly lines in the video. If any of the other formats are chosen, they play with no vertical or squiggly lines. Is this something HTC should fix in an update? Since Islandia seems to be the most popular format, it is a shame that this situation exists.

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to read through the thread and figure out how to incorporate "other" pics with the highlight videos soon---but there is one thing that has perplexed me about the highlight videos that no one is talking about. If "Islandia" is used as the format, there are all kinds are vertical and squiggly lines in the video. If any of the other formats are chosen, they play with no vertical or squiggly lines. Is this something HTC should fix in an update? Since Islandia seems to be the most popular format, it is a shame that this situation exists.

I'm pretty sure that's meant to be a visual effect!

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's meant to be a visual effect!

Hm. It's just a mess to me. Kind of like a a video done in the 30's. If that is the case, it should be a visual effect on Eifel. I've never shared an Islandia highlight on Facebook, but I'm pretty sure they would ask if I were using a really old camera.

Edit: Well, I just called HTC and you are absolutely right. It is a visual effect.

Last edited:

oneblackhand

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, you make me feel old!

Anyways, highlights have definitely been a big surprise for me. Easily one of the best features. I shared a highlight ( yes, Islandia) of a 5 year old birthday party last week and had about 3 different parents ask me if they could do that on their iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, you make me feel old!

Anyways, highlights have definitely been a big surprise for me. Easily one of the best features. I shared a highlight ( yes, Islandia) of a 5 year old birthday party last week and had about 3 different parents ask me if they could do that on their iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App
That's amazing! From the beginning I have thought it was a defect because it reminded me of the old time movies. Well, now that makes ME feel really old! The parents are probably so young they have never even seen an old time movie. I am going to share one on Facebook to see what they say.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Zoe's are software and part of Sense so it's hard to see how it will survive.

Pretty much. If it's not in stock Android I can't imagine it'll be in either of the new Google edition phones. "It" meaning any feature from the manufacturer not already baked into Android.