No 4.2.2 update In US, waiting. Who is w me?

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I am not expecting the release of 4.2.2 anytime soon in the US but if it is not released by the beginning of August I may have to decide to dump the HTC One.

You're going to ditch a perfectly good phone that you've only had for a handful of months simply because 4.2.2 is being delayed a wee lil bit? Really?

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the device is great with just about any firmware installed, however those people paid good, hard-earned money and they deserve software updates just like lesser and cheaper devices get; after all, the HTC One is by no means a cheap device.

What lesser and cheaper device has 4.2.2??

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
You're going to ditch a perfectly good phone that you've only had for a handful of months simply because 4.2.2 is being delayed a wee lil bit? Really?

I'm responding to my own post... please disregard, as I saw the user's earlier post explaining that he/she had a certain period of time to return/exchange the phone before being charged full price. That, certainly and without a doubt, makes perfect and absolute sense.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I feel it is my right as a paying customer to receive these updates. I kept up with my part of the deal by purchasing HTC's premium product over Samsung, LG, Google, BlackBerry, and Apple. So it's only fair that HTC (hell let's throw AT&T in there too) keeps up with their end.

Sent from the One...the HTC One.

Although Android is trying to mitigate this somewhat, this is still the status quo for an OEM android smartphone. 4.2.2 has been live for 4 months now. By the time it gets through carrier testing the average wait will be about 6 months (basically 25% into a 2 year contract). I honestly don't see this ever ending simply because it's more profitable for them. You basically have 4 choices if you don't want to keep buying a new phone frequently: accept it, live with screwing around with ROM's, go Nexus, or go Apple.

I wouldn't go that far. What I would do, and did, is take note of my current experience and decide whether I want to go that route on my next phone.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have question. I hope someone can clarify it. I have a factory unlocked HTC One. I am not dependent upon a carrier for an update I assume. If the update is available in UK, why can't I pull it via WiFi from a server in UK? How are software updates seen by the phone? Are there paths to update servers hard coded into the OS?

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have question. I hope someone can clarify it. I have a factory unlocked HTC One. I am not dependent upon a carrier for an update I assume. If the update is available in UK, why can't I pull it via WiFi from a server in UK? How are software updates seen by the phone? Are there paths to update servers hard coded into the OS?

The One is region-locked. Each version of the phone has a numerical ID tag that denotes which country that One is localized to. U.S. phones can't pull the European update OTA because it hasn't been cleared for Ones with the U.S. tag.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
The One is region-locked. Each version of the phone has a numerical ID tag that denotes which country that One is localized to. U.S. phones can't pull the European update OTA because it hasn't been cleared for Ones with the U.S. tag.

Thanks KineticMD! One follow up question. Am I correct to assume that since my phone is tagged as a US handset, it will receive the US update no matter where I am in the world as long as I have WiFi available?

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks KineticMD! One follow up question. Am I correct to assume that since my phone is tagged as a US handset, it will receive the US update no matter where I am in the world as long as I have WiFi available?

That I'm not sure about. I would assume yes, but somebody with more knowledge than me could probably answer that better.

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to 4.2.2. Not entirely sure what's going to be so great about the update for the HTC One, but software updates are always nice, and hopefully when we get 4.2.2 that nasty security flaw fix will be included in an update :D

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
you can root your phone with Revone (? I think its called, its been awhile), then go to the international One forums over on XDA, and install any one of the custom roms out there that are on 4.2.2, Personally I run Android Revolution HD 12, with the updated firmware as well, SuperCID and S-off

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to 4.2.2. Not entirely sure what's going to be so great about the update for the HTC One, but software updates are always nice, and hopefully when we get 4.2.2 that nasty security flaw fix will be included in an update :D

Nothing so great from what I have seen. We get quick toggles, I already use power toggles. Much more functional and better looking than the giant ugly Windows Phone squares.

I'm also not so worried about the security exploit. I'm going to wait until 5.0.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Updates are based on your CID and MID. you can use SuperCID to change the CID but changing your MID is really a pain. As long as your MID is a US model, you'll get the US OTA update.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The hard deadline has to do with last date I can swap the HTC One for another phone without having to purchase a new phone at full price. I am currently test driving both the GS4 and the HTC One. The lack of 4.2.2 and the fixes - especially the black screen consuming bars maybe enough to push the S4 over the line. Both phones have their pluses and minuses and it is a tough choice between the two.

Awe come on....if the only thing that's roughing up your decision against the GS4 is the black menu bars, then the ONE should be a hands down winner...right? We all know the update is coming and if the One is in a deadheat without the update, then the update should put the ONE over the top. A little patience won't be misguided here!! Just Sayin'!

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
That is not the only reason. The screen size and camera on the GS4 are two big reasons I am considering changing phones. The fast battery charge is also nice and battery life on the S4 is a little better for me. Once 4.2.2 deploys I will like everything else about the HTC One better. I originally thought it was a no contest and the HTC ONE was going to be the clear winner. After using both phones I am finding it a tough I have been able to address complaints about both phones through the use of apps.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Question. Since the update is hitting over seas do you think the US carriers already have it and are working on it?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty