weird sound!!! something loose inside my phone?

zendless

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!
I just got my HTC one about a month ago, recently I found that there's a weird vibrate sound every time I put my phone on a hard surface "gently". It sounds like there's something loose inside the phone. So I tried tapping the upper part of the backplate on my palm and I heard that sound every time I did it. But when I tried it with the bottom part of the backplate, it just sounded like a solid piece of metal. I always baby my phones, this phone has never been dropped, smacked or anything. The weird thing is that I asked my friend who has an HTC one to test it and he told me his had that weird sound too. I'm just wondering if this is normal? Or it's just me and my friend are so unlucky. The sound really makes my phone like a piece of junk that's gonna fall apart soon. Could some HTC one owners try what I did and see if yous have the same issue please?

thank you so much guys!!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
DAMMIT!!! I just saw this thread and read it. So I took my phone and hit the top portion with my hand lightly and there it was. A rattle, up near the camera. So thanks! I appreciate this thread...I'm going to throw up now.....

**update**

I decided that since my phone works great and I have it in an otterbox defender case, I'm not going to worry about it to much.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys!
I just got my HTC one about a month ago, recently I found that there's a weird vibrate sound every time I put my phone on a hard surface "gently". It sounds like there's something loose inside the phone. So I tried tapping the upper part of the backplate on my palm and I heard that sound every time I did it. But when I tried it with the bottom part of the backplate, it just sounded like a solid piece of metal. I always baby my phones, this phone has never been dropped, smacked or anything. The weird thing is that I asked my friend who has an HTC one to test it and he told me his had that weird sound too. I'm just wondering if this is normal? Or it's just me and my friend are so unlucky. The sound really makes my phone like a piece of junk that's gonna fall apart soon. Could some HTC one owners try what I did and see if yous have the same issue please?

thank you so much guys!!

It's the focus mechanism / shutter of the camera. It's normal. I had it also on my HTC One X phone. Went to an att store to check others and they did it as well. Same goes for the HTC One. Nothing to worry about. There are also threads about this for other htc phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

zendless

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
hm... thx for your reply. But if it's normal... how come some of us have this problem and some don't... is it still considered a defect?

It's the focus mechanism / shutter of the camera. It's normal. I had it also on my HTC One X phone. Went to an att store to check others and they did it as well. Same goes for the HTC One. Nothing to worry about. There are also threads about this for other htc phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

zendless

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
lol... no prob man. I'm kinda picky about my phones, i had an iphone before this HTC one and it was just so solid. I choose HTC one over Galaxy S4 cuz it just looks so much nicer with that sleek aluminum body, like high quality. But now the sound just makes my phone seem so... crappy... low quality. sigh.....

DAMMIT!!! I just saw this thread and read it. So I took my phone and hit the top portion with my hand lightly and there it was. A rattle, up near the camera. So thanks! I appreciate this thread...I'm going to throw up now.....

**update**

I decided that since my phone works great and I have it in an otterbox defender case, I'm not going to worry about it to much.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
this is completely normal.

if there is no sound when you shake it then there are no loose parts inside nor is it going to "get worse in time".

my previous iPhone 4S also made a similar sound.

if you cant live with it (first world problems can be a pain, after all!) just go back to the scuff and dent prone iphone 5.

good luck in finding a replacement that makes you happy.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys!

thank you so much guys!!

Man it's called OIS Optical Image Stabilization it makes the lense in the camera pretty much float. That is the rattle in your phone. Completely normal it's straight hardware.

Posted via Android Central App

zendless

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
First of all, thx for all the replies. I'm not saying I don't believe u guys. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong with my phone. No one wants to have a brand new phone that's a defect. I went to a store today and the guy there checked their demo and it had the same sound or even worse. Now I'm just wondering why some of them don't make any sound at all if u guys are saying this is completely normal. Thank you all again for your replies. appreciate it!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
First of all, thx for all the replies. I'm not saying I don't believe u guys. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong with my phone. No one wants to have a brand new phone that's a defect. I went to a store today and the guy there checked their demo and it had the same sound or even worse. Now I'm just wondering why some of them don't make any sound at all if u guys are saying this is completely normal. Thank you all again for your replies. appreciate it!

Well, maybe the ones that's NOT making a noise is broken? :)

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm only guessing here... Could the discrepancy from one phone to another be dependent on where the moving parts of the image stabilization bits part themselves after your last pic?

ash95608

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I just got my HTC one from sprint and it makes the same sound when taping it, it doesn't bother me to much except when the vibrate goes on it causes the same sound as well so sound like something is loose in there. I'm sure HTC will come up with a future fix.