1.1gb Ram in use??

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have had this phone for about a month now. I have recently noticed in Apps > Running section that 1.1gb RAM is in use. Do you guys think it's a bit too high? I have closed some unnecessary apps and the RAM in use is still 1.1GB.

I saw that LockerPro Free takes up over 600mb of RAM! Is it normal for a notification app to take up so much RAM?

Please let me know what you guys think.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have had this phone for about a month now. I have recently noticed in Apps > Running section that 1.1gb RAM is in use. Do you guys think it's a bit too high? I have closed some unnecessary apps and the RAM in use is still 1.1GB.

I saw that LockerPro Free takes up over 600mb of RAM! Is it normal for a notification app to take up so much RAM?

Please let me know what you guys think.
That is definitely not normal for an app. I think the most resource heavy RAM user (from what I've seen) is the gallery and that takes up about 100. No reason why that one should be using 600. Very fishy...

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Even though our phones come with 2GB of RAM....500MB of it is dedicated to the OS and UI, to ensure things run smoothly. The other 1.5GB is available for apps and such.

Typically on my phone...of the 1.5GB of usable RAM I have around 1GB free at most times. (+ or - 100MB)...with about 500MB in use for apps and background services.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Even though our phones come with 2GB of RAM....500MB of it is dedicated to the OS and UI, to ensure things run smoothly. The other 1.5GB is available for apps and such.

Typically on my phone...of the 1.5GB of usable RAM I have around 1GB free at most times. (+ or - 100MB)...with about 500MB in use for apps and background services.

Yes, but one app should never be using 600 MB of RAM...

Posted via Android Central App

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
careful... if your apps reach the 2GB of RAM usage your phone will start a 5 second countdown and auto-destruct itself...

on a serious note why do you care if your phone has 1GB or 500MB of free RAM? free RAM is wasted RAM. your phone will make RAM available to apps that need it when you are running them, and take away RAM to those that you've ceased using for a while.

do you keep concerning yourself with how much RAM your computer is taking up when you have it on standby too?

the only advantage of having more physical RAM is to cope with apps and an OS that needs it when you launch them - not to have most of it free so that it goes to waste.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
careful... if your apps reach the 2GB of RAM usage your phone will start a 5 second countdown and auto-destruct itself...

on a serious note why do you care if your phone has 1GB or 500MB of free RAM? free RAM is wasted RAM. your phone will make RAM available to apps that need it when you are running them, and take away RAM to those that you've ceased using for a while.

do you keep concerning yourself with how much RAM your computer is taking up when you have it on standby too?

the only advantage of having more physical RAM is to cope with apps and an OS that needs it when you launch them - not to have most of it free so that it goes to waste.
Not sure if this is true or not but I've noticed that when my RAM is lower the idle drain also seems to be better, when the RAM is full it drains about 2x as fast. In the computer's case I don't worry about the RAM because it is plugged in so battery life is not an issue...

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
What exactly did the app do? Maybe there is a similar alternative that won't use so much RAM

The app is called LockerPro Free. It's a lock screen notification app. I have been looking for alternatives since I removed the app, but none of them are as good as LockerPro. Any suggestions?

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I am aware that 1.5 is available. However, I was concerned that one app was using almost half of the available RAM. I now have around 800mb RAM free.

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Haha.

I only care because the phone was appearing slightly slower (before uninstalling the app) and the battery was draining faster than it is now.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The app is called LockerPro Free. It's a lock screen notification app. I have been looking for alternatives since I removed the app, but none of them are as good as LockerPro. Any suggestions?
Yes, what exactly did it do. Was there a specific thing that you needed it to do or a specific thing that you liked about it?

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, what exactly did it do. Was there a specific thing that you needed it to do or a specific thing that you liked about it?

I liked the way notifications appeared on the lock screen; like the iPhone. I know they are 2 different OSs and I should be happy with what I have, but that feature is very convenient. I mainly use whatsapp, gmail, yahoo mail and facebook. I have tried at least 6-7 other apps (dynamic notifications, dashclock, screen notifications, nils etc) but LockerPro was the best of them.

I look forward to your suggestion (s).

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I liked the way notifications appeared on the lock screen; like the iPhone. I know they are 2 different OSs and I should be happy with what I have, but that feature is very convenient. I mainly use whatsapp, gmail, yahoo mail and facebook. I have tried at least 6-7 other apps (dynamic notifications, dashclock, screen notifications, nils etc) but LockerPro was the best of them.

I look forward to your suggestion (s).
There was one I downloaded that mimicked the Moto X's active notifications if you're interested in something like that but it's still in Beta so I'm not sure how much it's improved since I downloaded it. It's called Active Notify, the only issue I had with it was that it required you to press your power button like if you normally would, and sometimes it would unlock into your normal homescreen for a second or two and then it would open the active notify lockscreeen. That's the only one I've tried, cool concept if it works right :)

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
It's called Active Notify, the only issue I had with it was that it required you to press your power button like if you normally would, and sometimes it would unlock into your normal homescreen for a second or two and then it would open the active notify lockscreeen.

I just downloaded it and tested it for 10-15 minutes. It's alright but you're right, it still unlocks on the normal homescreen. Even if I wait for a while, the active notify screen doesn't come up.

I guess I'll have to research more or maybe just pay and buy a good notifications app. Thanks heaps for your help!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded it and tested it for 10-15 minutes. It's alright but you're right, it still unlocks on the normal homescreen. Even if I wait for a while, the active notify screen doesn't come up.

I guess I'll have to research more or maybe just pay and buy a good notifications app. Thanks heaps for your help!
You might have to mess around with the settings to find it, after that it should work. Like I said, not sure if the slight delay has been fixed since but it shouldn't be taking more than a couple seconds :\
I've heard that Notifier Pro and Floating Notifications are pretty good but I've never used them since I usually open the actual app instead of waiting for a notification :p

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
You might have to mess around with the settings to find it, after that it should work. Like I said, not sure if the slight delay has been fixed since but it shouldn't be taking more than a couple seconds :\
I've heard that Notifier Pro and Floating Notifications are pretty good but I've never used them since I usually open the actual app instead of waiting for a notification :p

I'll mess around with the settings later tonight. I'll give NotifierPro and Floating Notifications a go and reply. Cheers!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty