no "One Browser to rule them all" ??? :(

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
i'm sorry for being an Android downer but i just have to complain about this.

i spend all week checking out all the browsers i could find (besides buying the payed ones),
and it just feels like a mess of miss-hits all over the place.
each browser can do stuff the others can't,
when i find a browser with ad-block, it lacks other important functions.
a browser with a dedicated 'back' button, doesn't have a quick refresh button,
one has more features but is slow and stuttery,
one is super fast but has too many bugs.
i tried all of the leading ones, read enough reviews and various forum threads, and simply cannot settle with the best all around browser.
i will definitely not start using different browsers for every action i need, i find it ridiculous.
even the stock browser is more clean and fluid than the rest. but it's hardly satisfying.

i know it's a common question arising now and then, but still, i ask this for those of you who ditched IOS and Safari (not saying Safari is perfect, but i never felt i needed to change it), and spent enough time to be able to "settle down".

so, if you HAD to choose ONE browser combining most of these features:

reliable
fast
clean
precise
simple
smart UI

which would you choose? (i will happily pay for the best option).

thanks.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
With iOS and Safari you didn't have much choice. With Android you have a ton of choice and that in and of itself may be part of the issue you're experiencing.
I use Firefox and Dolphin (rarely do I ever release the Dolphin). I am not longing for ANY feature.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
With iOS and Safari you didn't have much choice. With Android you have a ton of choice and that in and of itself may be part of the issue you're experiencing.
I use Firefox and Dolphin (rarely do I ever release the Dolphin). I am not longing for ANY feature.

you may be right regarding the mental aspect of "the only option".
however i still think that designers tend to think harder and find finer and finer tweaks when designing a browser that serve as an only option.
that goes for en entire OS of course.

Dolphin feels too heavy and cramped with all sorts of extras i feel unnecessary.
Firefox is ok, but a bit slow. still missing very essential little things i desire.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have just gone back to using the stock browser for the same reasons you listed. It is just cleaner and smoother.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I use Dolphin only wish it had ad blocker. Should maybe one browser that you downloaded for longer so you have time to get used to it before you decide.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Next browser for quick searches. It's really intuitive and probably better than Chrome. I use Dolphin for heavier web browsing because I have all my passwords saved on there.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I use Next browser for quick searches. It's really intuitive and probably better than Chrome.

yea, checking Next browser ATM. looks nice and clean. but the news tab reminds me a bit of blinkfeed :(
and no ad block. but it's quick though.
funny, Firefox has Ad Block but loading slower than Next WITH the ads.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
HTC's stock browser has actually been really sweet. and fast. As for "c!ean" it doesn't even have a UI. For add blocking I've turned off Flash. And I leave it in "desktop" mode so that compatible sites' text rewraps for easier browsing.

Not to knock Sammy too hard, but, my coworker's S4/5/whatever has one that would make me seek out 3rd party browsers

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's always stock for me. I absolutely LOVE the pie controls in the "Labs" section. Unless I missed something, no other browser has that feature. Not even chrome!

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
HTC's stock browser has actually been really sweet. and fast. As for "c!ean" it doesn't even have a UI. For add blocking I've turned off Flash. And I leave it in "desktop" mode so that compatible sites' text rewraps for easier browsing.

Not to knock Sammy too hard, but, my coworker's S4/5/whatever has one that would make me seek out 3rd party browsers

That's what I said, I might have to stick to the stock :p

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Had this issue as well. I've used stock, chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin. I'm not a heavy browser. I'd rather use my apps on my phone and hotspot to my chromebook if I need to browse.

I keep Dolphin with desktop user agent for those times I do need to browse the old fashioned way. It works pretty good on the Note 3.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why do you feel the need to use just one?

The great thing about Android is that you have choices. Just don't set a default browser and use the one that works best depending on the circumstance.

I primarily use Chrome because of the synching across devices but it doesn't have Flash so I use the stock browser for that. It takes a second to switch so I don't understand the need to lock into one browser...

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
It's always stock for me. I absolutely LOVE the pie controls in the "Labs" section. Unless I missed something, no other browser has that feature. Not even chrome!

Same here. I'm all about the 'pie controls' Once you get used to using them, it's really hard to go back to anything else.

If only I could find a way to get them onto my Nexus 7...

Posted via Android Central App

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Why do you feel the need to use just one?

The great thing about Android is that you have choices. Just don't set a default browser and use the one that works best depending on the circumstance.

I primarily use Chrome because of the synching across devices but it doesn't have Flash so I use the stock browser for that. It takes a second to switch so I don't understand the need to lock into one browser...

this is a matter of personal needs.. you cannot ask me "why". for the life of me i cannot understand how you manage to enjoy using 2 browsers.
i just like things tidy and simple. same way i treat my PC browser. why should i go into the hassle of opening another one?
all those things preventing me from using a dedicated single browser for all my needs are just limitations and inconveniences.
a rich environment to explore and test apps is welcomed, but in the end when you need practical stuff that just works,
well.. that's when i feel it's totally unnecessary.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I'm all about the 'pie controls' Once you get used to using them, it's really hard to go back to anything else.

If only I could find a way to get them onto my Nexus 7...

Posted via Android Central App

oh, yea, just found out the quick controls :D
a bit strange at first but seems like a very good compromise to get quick and swipy feeling.
amazing thing, that we have like 10 rich and crafty free browsers out there but the Sense stock is most efficient!
i'll give it a serious go from today.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
this is a matter of personal needs.. you cannot ask me "why". for the life of me i cannot understand how you manage to enjoy using 2 browsers.
i just like things tidy and simple. same way i treat my PC browser. why should i go into the hassle of opening another one?
all those things preventing me from using a dedicated single browser for all my needs are just limitations and inconveniences.
a rich environment to explore and test apps is welcomed, but in the end when you need practical stuff that just works,
well.. that's when i feel it's totally unnecessary.

Hey, if you have a reason so be it, just asking. I use multiple browsers on my PC as well so it's no different on my phone and tablets there.

I just find it more of a hassle to lock into a browser with deficiencies than is is to use more than one and have all tasks covered well.

*shrug* to each his own