Are Facebook App Permissions Safe?

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
How many of you have the facebook app installed an working on your htc one or android device? I was going to use it but it has LOTS of permissions it needs access to from your calls,texts,changing things on your phone an alot more!

How safe is it to use know all the things it has access to? To me its uncalled for because it doesnt need all those things.

Heres a list-read your texts,draw over others apps,add or modify calender events and send email to guests without owners knowledge,phone calls, record audio.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is facebook safe?

How many of you have the facebook app installed an working on your htc one or android device? I was going to use it but it has LOTS of permissions it needs access to from your calls,texts,changing things on your phone an alot more!

How safe is it to use know all the things it has access to? To me its uncalled for because it doesnt need all those things.

Heres a list-read your texts,draw over others apps,add or modify calender events and send email to guests without owners knowledge,phone calls, record audio.

According to Facebook, 1 Billion people use the Facebook app. It seems relatively safe to me. Usually those permissions are there to give the app its functionality.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Is using Facebook safe? meh. Their app is not really any worse than the service in general for privacy, but there's nothing to indicate that they're doing anything untoward via those permissions.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

just don't give them special permissions to your bank statements or credit card information :)

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Thanks everyone! Yeah i was confused a bit when it was time for me to test out the app an it showed all these permissions. I see how it makes sense when it comes to functionality on the phone etc.

I take it, its the same as other apps as well right? Like i was using dynamic notifications an always wondered about the permission stuff.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks everyone! Yeah i was confused a bit when it was time for me to test out the app an it showed all these permissions. I see how it makes sense when it comes to functionality on the phone etc.

I take it, its the same as other apps as well right? Like i was using dynamic notifications an always wondered about the permission stuff.

It's similar in other apps as well. Again, some permissions like that are needed to give the app some of its functionality.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Take a look at these two articles. :)

Android 101: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central
Facebook's new permissions aren't any scarier than using Facebook in the first place | Android Central

Do take note of the "Phone calls -- read phone state and identity" part. It's the "and identity" part that you should be aware (but not necessarily suspicious) of. Following the link in that section leads to the this great example of how interpreting permissions isn't black and white:

Security firm details privacy concerns; developer tells us its side of the story | Android Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87