Viperone M8 2.0.0 Slow boot time/ sunshine not compatible

oldgreg101

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, so I was eventually gonna make the change from Viper ROM, and then 2.0.0 just came out so now I simply MUST check this update out before moving on (excellent ROM btw people).

Anyways here's the minor/ moderate issue: slow boot time.

I've looked into this and it's because my firmware is an older version for the viper one m8 2.0.0, so in order to do this I need to update my firmware.
Anyways so I go to do this by downloading the latest firmware, renaming it 0P6BIMG.zip and plopping it in my Ext SD "android" folder.
Go into bootloader, it searches for it, cannot find it :(.

So someone tells me I am to gain S-off. So I get to pushing firewater on through Adb, it gets to the first bottle and it just goes whelp on me.
Anyways few hours later of trying out other ways for free :p, I submit to the $25 sunshine option.
But this isn't working either!

Conclusion: I want 6 hours of my life back!

But anyways, sunshine says "can not be used on your current rom/ kernel combination, you will need to flash a stock sense based rom and try again"
anyone got any hot tips?
i was trying to get my bootloader to a version compatible with firewater, anyone know where to go? I've been throughout google and xda hunting and no luck thus far.
If someone could name a rom that sunshine worked with on their international m8's (Aus) that'd be good, or if they managed to get sunshine to work with their viper 2.0.0 do tell.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Sunshine needs to be used on a stock ROM or something close to stock.

There are flashable stock roms on XDA to do this

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

bigdogbo

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. If you had researched, you would have seen that firewater/sunshine both work from STOCK. Depending on your circumstances you can download an RUU (for CDMA variants) or FUU (for GSM variants) and put that on your phone then gain s-off. And I'd also suggest more research before flashing anything, or else you might end up witn a very expensive paperweight.

aStryker

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Make a nand, flash to stock, run firewater, change to SuperCID (might as well if you're using adb), restore from nand, flash new firmware, then you can dirty flash 2.0.

oldgreg101

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
ahh poo, I tried a CID same as my phone, tried to flash it with TWRP recovery, as they say to do this first, and it failed, one thing to note: phone "main-version" came up blank. Does anyone know if this will affect the ability to flash the .zip file?
I also tried to unzip this file and place it in a twrp/backups folder, however this was not successful.
What a mission!

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
ahh poo, I tried a CID same as my phone, tried to flash it with TWRP recovery, as they say to do this first, and it failed, one thing to note: phone "main-version" came up blank. Does anyone know if this will affect the ability to flash the .zip file?
I also tried to unzip this file and place it in a twrp/backups folder, however this was not successful.
What a mission!
You change your cid by writing it with fastboot. You should be able to copy the nand over with your pc by copy & paste No clue why it fail.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Would u have a link or any basic run down on how to write it with fast boot?

Posted via Android Central App
With your phone booted into the bootloader and in fastboot mode "fastboot usb" highlighted. With a command prompt opened from your fastboot folder on the PC type this "fastboot oem writecid xxxxxxxx" as x is your cid

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Guys.. his problem has nothing to do with CID (regardless of the fact that he CANNOT go SuperCID without gaining S-OFF FIRST!).

@oldgreg101 I am assuming you used this: COLLECTION of Stock backup's | HTC One (M8) | XDA Forum in order to find an appropriate Nandroid Backup for your device? If so, have you tried wiping everything off the phone (excluding Internal Storage) and then restoring from TWRP? These are not flashable zip files, they are backup FOLDERS which are supposed to be placed inside the appropriate folder in order for the recovery to locate them. If you found a TWRP backup, for instance, you'll have to place the Nandroid Backup folder (which you obtained from the thread) into root/data/media/TWRP and the same goes for Philz Touch Recovery (I don't remember the backup folder exactly but I think it was on the SD card partition itself, not the root directory).

Those are the steps you'll have to be taking, regardless of the CID and S-ON/OFF status. Afterwards, you'll be able to use either Sunshine or Firewater (I was able to use firewater for free after doing what I just mentioned :p) because although I wouldn't mind paying the developer for his hard work on Sunshine, I'd still rather get the advantage of using a free software if it's already available and does the exact same thing (and pretty much has the same requirements).

Bear in mind that after restoring the nandroid, you'll have a stock recovery as well (which is crucial), so make sure you have a stock recovery before attempting to S-OFF the device.