10-21-2016 02:23 AM
267 1234 ...
tools
    Ok, so I have the phone. First android ever from BB Bold

Cool things. Swiping when the phone is off to do stuff, being able to activate the camera from a locked phone very quickly, the voice recognition is very very good, i never swipe typed but this is ALL i do and it works great even for someone with 2 days of experience, its fast as hell! Has an IR blaster, i can control my tv without having to take the remote from my wife, the TV feature is cool because it gives you live score feeds of all games in all sports in real time in the channel menu, so far the battery is barely cutting the mustard, but i have the phone totally stock and am beating on it to get a real life gauge on the battery. Unplug at 7am and went til about 10pm before it 1% last night with tons of apps, web, talk.

Just hate the height of this thing but im getting used to it.

The bluetooth audio works great with my alpine radio, pandora comes on fast and connects without having to **** with it like i did on the BB. Voice dialing works great, so far about 95% accurate on first hit dialing

Thats all i can think of right now. Hope this helps
    03-29-2014 08:58 AM
    The phone is brilliant, I received mine from Vodafone UK yesterday and it came with a free case.

I like the feel of the brushed metal finish, the screen is bright and the sound is crystal clear. HTC have certainly put a lot of effort into the phone, the speakers really do the phone justice and as for the inclusion of the SD Card space, this is a major bonus.

The rear facing camera is still only 4mp, but with the Ultrapixel sensor it does take some brilliant photos.

If you want a premium smartphone then this is the one.
    03-29-2014 09:28 AM
    I got my phone on Thursday, and coming from an EVO 4G LTE on Sprint. I absolutely LOVE this phone. I know a lot of people are making a big deal about tall the phone is, but it quickly became unnoticeable. Same thing w/the weight, the phone just looks and feels so premium, that I appreciate the thought of how HTC made this phone. I went to go look at the Samsung Galaxy 5 at Best Buy, and the whole dimpled thing on the back wasn't that bad, it just looks really horrible in photos. But still, the Galaxy felt kiddish, plasticky, & clunky, at least, in my opinion.

The M8 is amazingly fast. I haven't had a crash yet, but I wouldn't consider myself a super-user. The display is gorgeous and playing videos is amazing. The phone doesn't get hot at all for me, except when I'm charging and playing around with it. Also, I know alot of people have gripes with the camera, but there is an Android app called Snapseed, that allows you to correct various things with the picture, it literally takes like 20 seconds to fix contrast, sharpness, color, etc. I don't have any problems with the camera.

Also, LTE on this phone is FAST. I use Sprint, but I live in JAX, Fl & that is a Sprint Spark location.
    03-29-2014 09:50 AM
    I got my phone on Thursday, and coming from an EVO 4G LTE on Sprint. I absolutely LOVE this phone. I know a lot of people are making a big deal about tall the phone is, but it quickly became unnoticeable. Same thing w/the weight, the phone just looks and feels so premium, that I appreciate the thought of how HTC made this phone. I went to go look at the Samsung Galaxy 5 at Best Buy, and the whole dimpled thing on the back wasn't that bad, it just looks really horrible in photos. But still, the Galaxy felt kiddish, plasticky, & clunky, at least, in my opinion.

The M8 is amazingly fast. I haven't had a crash yet, but I wouldn't consider myself a super-user. The display is gorgeous and playing videos is amazing. The phone doesn't get hot at all for me, except when I'm charging and playing around with it. Also, I know alot of people have gripes with the camera, but there is an Android app called Snapseed, that allows you to correct various things with the picture, it literally takes like 20 seconds to fix contrast, sharpness, color, etc. I don't have any problems with the camera.

Also, LTE on this phone is FAST. I use Sprint, but I live in JAX, Fl & that is a Sprint Spark location.
    How is your RF performance on the M8? Specifically the signal range and ability to hold on to a signal. I currently have the Evo 4G LTE, and the M8 is on my short list of replacement options. Living in a fringe area for all cell phone service providers, signal strength is going to be a major factor for me. Thanks in advance.
    03-29-2014 12:07 PM
    @hachsa - I too have an EVO 4G LTE and it has been an excellent phone with no issues. The odd thing about the M8 is that the usable screen space is actually less than on the EVO. That just seems odd. A longer phone and less screen. But everything else looks good. I did not get to play with the camera really to see what all the fuss is.

I'm still not sold on the M8 since the EVO has the larger usable screen and mine works perfectly.
    Jeff Harris likes this.
    03-29-2014 01:34 PM
    So I got the Amber Gold M8 from my job to play with. Been using it for a couple of days and the battery seems a tad better than my iPhone 5s. Camera is so-so. It can take really good shots, but it falls on to face to often. Sense is pretty smooth and very clean looking. Don't care for the Sense Launcher and I'm a bit OCD on some of the color themes HTC put into place. I wish it was a little more custom as to what type of apps have what coloring as opposed to being stuck in the 3 themes with their own color groups in each.

Oh, and the Amber Gold is actually really nice in person. I have no problem with the color, but it's actually quite feminine. Its sorta a copper look versus the champagne look on the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-29-2014 02:00 PM
    How is your RF performance on the M8? Specifically the signal range and ability to hold on to a signal. I currently have the Evo 4G LTE, and the M8 is on my short list of replacement options. Living in a fringe area for all cell phone service providers, signal strength is going to be a major factor for me. Thanks in advance.
    In my case, everything is going good. I've only driven and spoken to someone on the phone once or twice though, so I haven't experimented much outside of that.

With Sprint, I think you can try out the phone for 2 weeks & return it, if it doesnt seem feasible to you.
    03-29-2014 02:07 PM
    @hachsa - I too have an EVO 4G LTE and it has been an excellent phone with no issues. The odd thing about the M8 is that the usable screen space is actually less than on the EVO. That just seems odd. A longer phone and less screen. But everything else looks good. I did not get to play with the camera really to see what all the fuss is.

I'm still not sold on the M8 since the EVO has the larger usable screen and mine works perfectly.
    I HAD to get my EVO 4G LTE replaced since I dropped it last year and there's a crack across the screen that sometimes made my phone glitchy. I was originally trying to my phone replaced with the Nexus 5 but my contract was too early. I wanted to see what HTC does with next iteration of the One & I love it. I was at BB the other day & I love the M8 over the original one, the OG feels so blocky.

I think with the all the complaints about the Camera, the bezels, & the size will prompt HTC to design the best form of the One next year though & if you hold it out until then, I'm sure it'll be great.
    03-29-2014 02:13 PM
    Does anyone else with a Verizon M8 have barcode stickers on the back? Kind of feels like they don't want to come off. Never had this on a new phone before. Thnx.
    03-30-2014 12:45 AM
    I have the barcode stickers as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    03-30-2014 01:17 AM
    Does anyone else with a Verizon M8 have barcode stickers on the back? Kind of feels like they don't want to come off. Never had this on a new phone before. Thnx.
    Mine Verizon model had these too. They peeled off pretty easily though.
    03-30-2014 06:57 AM
    Traded in my M7 for the M8 opening day at Verizon, cannot say enough about this platform, honestly nothing I don't like yet and seems to do everything better, faster and with a bigger screen than the M7, very happy indeed.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-30-2014 04:35 PM
    Can't wait to get mine! The guy at the Best Buy Mobile store in the mall had a gold one for us to see. But we ordered 3 phones and are only keeping 2 but this way my husband can see Gunmetal and Gold together. After we left the store we went to Verizon and saw Gunmetal and silver which is what we wanted but I'll take gold he's still undecided.

So I got the Amber Gold M8 from my job to play with. Been using it for a couple of days and the battery seems a tad better than my iPhone 5s. Camera is so-so. It can take really good shots, but it falls on to face to often. Sense is pretty smooth and very clean looking. Don't care for the Sense Launcher and I'm a bit OCD on some of the color themes HTC put into place. I wish it was a little more custom as to what type of apps have what coloring as opposed to being stuck in the 3 themes with their own color groups in each.

Oh, and the Amber Gold is actually really nice in person. I have no problem with the color, but it's actually quite feminine. Its sorta a copper look versus the champagne look on the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-30-2014 11:30 PM
    I love hearing people rave about the new M8 that had the M7. My husband said I love my phone do we really need to upgrade? But I really wanted too and since we were due and Best Buy will give us 125 for our M7's and I should get the extra 50 from phone freedom so it wont' cost us much.

Traded in my M7 for the M8 opening day at Verizon, cannot say enough about this platform, honestly nothing I don't like yet and seems to do everything better, faster and with a bigger screen than the M7, very happy indeed.
    03-30-2014 11:31 PM
    I love hearing people rave about the new M8 that had the M7. My husband said I love my phone do we really need to upgrade? But I really wanted too and since we were due and Best Buy will give us 125 for our M7's and I should get the extra 50 from phone freedom so it wont' cost us much.
    I would think your M7 would be worth more. Try selling online first and see what kind of $$ you could get.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    icenija likes this.
    03-31-2014 12:16 AM
    I have it listed on craigst list for 200 with a brand new I bolt car dock but now my i bolt broke so I am selling phone only and of course I have a case and it has a screen protector on it. Someone offered me 150 if I sold it the other day that day and it wasn't worth 25 bucks more when I would be without a phone for a week or so. But 125 is better than Sprints 85. But yes if someone offered me 175 or so the day I was getting my new phone or the day before I would take it. Cause I am not sure if I am getting the extra 50 for phone freedom or not. I know I signed up but they said it doesn't show up till you activate new phone. And I am like 90% sure I did but will see.

I would think your M7 would be worth more. Try selling online first and see what kind of $$ you could get.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    03-31-2014 08:04 AM
    I was originally an iPhone guy and subsequently got fed up with the small screen size. After using the iPhone for 2 years, I switched to a Droid DNA to get a bigger, 1080p display. I became a huge fan of the Android OS during that time. However, the one issue I had with Android phones was the crummy build quality. I loved the dual glass sides and solid feel of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 felt like a premium device every time I picked it up. I cannot tell you how amazing the HTC One M8 feels in the hand-- this phone oozes a premium feel.

I can say without any hesitation that this will be a phone I actually hold onto and praise for the next couple of years.

I am also impressed by the low light camera shots. I take better pictures of my daughter in a low light living room than my wife does with her Galaxy S4.

Also, as a general note, this phone has great battery life. I made it from 6am-10pm yesterday and still had 53% of my battery life left. The phone was used moderately from 9am-4pm and lightly for the other hours (it basically acted as my tv remote, roku remote, and web browser from 6-10pm.

I highly recommend this phone. If it is a toss up for you between this phone and a plastic gold ball dimple, Galaxy S5, then I would recommend this phone any day. There will be a very distinct difference in build quality, and re-releasing the plastic S4 with a gold ball dimpled back is not a major aesthetic overhaul between the S4 and S5.
    crawfojj, joe_kartel and psychcub like this.
    04-01-2014 08:56 AM
    Wow, tall,, easier to hold in landscape. I miss the position keys (on the side of the keyboard) while texting or typing. I need 2 or three more days to make a judgement on keeping it. It's nice with the Media Link for those special times. Kit Kat is fast, no bumps,yet. The 'bezel' is a nice hand hold in portrait. 9 mo' days!
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    04-01-2014 08:58 AM
    Correction, 12 more days before I have to make a decision, so far so good, love the resizing of fonts when I go to a web page but that's only on HTC phones that I've used. I need those arrows back for the keyboard, though. Really helps w/texting. Gotta check for SVDO, also.
    shadwellal likes this.
    04-01-2014 03:07 PM
    This is the phone that made me switch back to android (fantasy, charge, galaxy nexus, iphone 5) and now HTC One (M8). The metal housing is what caught my attention, but once i got into the store and tinkered with it I had to get it. I used my iphone 5 since release date and yes it is a big change to the M8, but a good one. I've seen some phones out there that are huge, but at the same time i don't feel like i am making a call from my ipad mini. The iphone 5 felt or appeared odd length wise at first but I guess I adjusted to it. I love the screen even with a screen protector on the size and clarity are just right. The solid build quality is something I had not experienced in an android device until now . I don't see any concerns with the camera either. Pics are coming out great and i actually like having all the features for different types of shots. The sound well that is a highlight! I recently bought a bluetooth speaker for listening to music while getting ready for work or what not because the i5 simply couldnt cut it. The M8's sound is loud and crisp over the water and fan running. I ordered a cruzerlite case as I liked the grippiness, style and light feeling so i know this will enhance my experience as I have a temporary otterbox on it now. Also it came with 32gb plus expanded storage! This is just my opinion, but there will never be a perfect phone that 100% of users will agree upon. If this was reality there would never be a need for change or diversity. As I have wrote in my experience a change is a good thing. I'm still running on the same amount of battery time as my i5 lasted, so I think that is a good feat esp since M8 has so much more going on. We are not in the days of flips where we charged once a week and i have accepted that! Hope this helps from an Android to iOS to Android user once more!

ADDED! +My brother and I both got one with the BOGOF Deal and got credited $200 on our plan! I believe the BOGOF goes on for a couple more weeks, but the $100 line credit expired yesterday. There are some online coupons if you search dropping it to $139 or $149 for both as well (that's if you are patient for mail delivery). Just thought I'd through that in!
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    04-01-2014 09:29 PM
    2 days now with my new M8 ordered from UK. Former Iphone user, Samsung S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3.

First off, the design just feels really comfortable in the hand. Fits the hand perfectly. The tapered edges make it feel really thin. Of course,I came from the Note 3 which was huge. Immediately, I notice how smooth HTC is compared to my Note 3 which used to crash (yep). UI seems to be very user friendly too compared to previous samsungs Ive owned. The rear dual camera is OK. I can see where it comes short. Extremely brightness in the background gives you washed out look. But on the other hand, it focuses very fast, and low light is amazing,which my samsungs all had a problem with. For my everyday use, it is just fine. The features in the camera are endless and I can see me using the Ufocus (refocusing after the shot) a lot. S5 and Z2 also offer it, but where this stands out is, you can do it to all pictures AFTER the shot (except night mode and zoe). With the S5, you have to first put it in refocus mode BEFORE the shot. Sometimes, I dont really know which shots I want to refocus so this is a better implementation of the idea. The lockscreen gestures are very usefull. Boomsound is AMAZING!

My complaints:
    1) You can unlock straight to camera by holding volume in portrait mode and turning to landscape. However, I find I also like to take shots in portrait, so it would have been nice to have it work regardless of orientation to quickly open camera

2) The 3 buttons (back, home, recents) on the screen take up space. They should have been capacitive buttons where the black plastic is.

3) In camera mode, it is hard to get out of it. very small buttons to tap to get out of camera mode quickly.

4) is there a limitation to the video highlights as to number of pics or vids shown? It seems there is. maybe longer highlights would be good. For now, AutoAwesome by Google works around this.

5) I prefer a menu instead of recents. So inconvenient to click the 3 dots.

6) App drawer cannot be removed from dock ???

7) I dont have extreme power saver. Im waiting for the update on this. For now, I have a power saver option (turns off mobile data when off, etc..)

8) No File browser built in so I used Astro

9) I couldnt move a lot of files to SD card. I used to move almost all in Note 3 kitkat. Stayed on device ( Flipboard, NBA Gametime, NILS, Sidebar Launcher, Todoist, WhatsApp). Can you guys move this to your SD Card?

10) When using front camera for using selfies, you cannot tap on screen to focus. It just automatically detects face. Granted its a selfie, but I was trying to focus in the background to adjust the lighting.

11) Weird Icon on notification bar upper right that looks like " N " and it wont go away

12) LED notification light could have been bigger

13) Camera should have video button instead of having to choose before hand whether it is a pic or vid. just have both buttons available!
    That pretty much it for now.
    04-02-2014 09:21 AM
    I have the stickers as well. However, I'm waiting 14 days before I pull them off. I purchased mine off-contract (didn't want to lose my unlimited data on Verizon) and I want to make sure this is the best place to park $600 for the next couple of years. I actually thought about spending an additional $100 plus $35 restocking fee and getting the Google Edition of this phone. All this being said, I really think I'm going to stick with this one.
    04-02-2014 11:25 AM
    The big N is most likely NFC, turn that off and it should go. Don't have the phone... yet, so I'm just making an educated guess for now.
    04-02-2014 12:30 PM
    The N is your NFC turned on it can be turned off in settings somewhere.. That was on the old HTC One and we didn't know what it was at 1st.

2 days now with my new M8 ordered from UK. Former Iphone user, Samsung S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3.
    My complaints:

11) Weird Icon on notification bar upper right that looks like " N " and it wont go away

That pretty much it for now.
    04-02-2014 12:32 PM
    5) I prefer a menu instead of recents. So inconvenient to click the 3 dots.
    You can set the Home button to press and hold for menu. It's under Display,gestures & buttons>Buttons>Home
    04-02-2014 04:22 PM
267 1234 ...