What are HTC One (M8) users using for text?

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit it; I'm an old fart and the last person in the world that rarely texts.
If I get this M8, I will be texting.
I know on iPhones there's this cutesy but effective way to track texts.
Is there anything stock on the M8/Sense or part of KitKat that enables this sort of tracking?
Is texting typically done in a stock on-board app?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: What are M8 users using for text?

Verizon has it's own messaging app which is quite good, never used it until this phone came out.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

The native messaging app is pretty good but I use Google Hangouts. I got the unlocked M8 and use it on AT&T. The unlocked version has a 300k size limit on MMS messages whereas the AT&T branded version allows for 1000k size limit for MMS if I'm not mistaken. This causes downsizing, compression and limits to what can be attached in multimedia messages for me, so I use Hangouts instead. I've gotten pretty used to Hangouts from my Nexus 5 since it is the native messaging app on that phone. There are lots of third party apps in the Play store that are quite good as well so there are lots of alternatives if you choose to go that route. Hangouts though is a bit of an all-in-one app that offers more than just messaging. You can of course text with it, but it also offers instant messaging, Hangouts and video calling within the same app. As for tracking, Hangouts does give you a date/time stamp within each message (sender and recipient) and you can set it to request a delivery report for texts. Lastly, I really didn't care for the native keyboard. It's fine really, but just not what I'm used to, so I switched to the Google keyboard.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Tracking? What do you mean?

I use Hangouts for texting

Tracking...having a visual record on the text thread so they are not random texts but appear in context as a conversation (if texts are going back and forth).

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

OK, another noob question:
Do you approach SMS and MMS a different way? Or is it transparent, so that as soon as you attach a picture, video or sound file in your texting app, it seamlessly flips to MMS mode?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

OK, another noob question:
Do you approach SMS and MMS a different way? Or is it transparent, so that as soon as you attach a picture, video or sound file in your texting app, it seamlessly flips to MMS mode?

It's pretty much a transparent transition. SMS is nothing but typed characters, while MMS may be typed characters with multimedia (pictures, video, sound, etc) added, just multimedia or group messaging. The app handles the switching depending on what you intend to send.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

@BlackdogAC--I've been using Handcent for the last 3 or 4 years. It's flat out RIDICULOUS, when it comes to customization, which is what I love to do. The stock messaging app will be fine for you, though.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the good info people.
So if you type a text that goes over 160 characters, the app will flip to MMS or will it get broken into two SS?

khughes6

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

When I send from hangouts to another hangouts user, I can send more than 160 characters and it appears in 1 box to myself/them.

As for keyboard, I use SwiftKey. It appears to limit the mistakes I make while maintaining a relatively quick typing speed.

Posted via Android Central App

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I've always used Handcent and I have it on this phone but haven't set it up yet. I know when I type in Handcent you also see it in the stock messaging app. I was trying Hangouts yesterday and I noticed it was set as default I kept trying to send a text through Handcent and it wouldn't send. But I don't know much about Hangouts but I love on Handcent the different color envelopes for people so if I see one at the top I know who texted me and when my sound is up I love how you can have a different text tone for each person. So I am probably going to stick with Handcent but Hangouts seemed ok too. I haven't fully set anything up yet but yesterday I was seeing duplicate notifcations and one kept popping back up even though I read it. I need to fix my settings I know. I have so much to do on this phone.

When I send from hangouts to another hangouts user, I can send more than 160 characters and it appears in 1 box to myself/them.

As for keyboard, I use SwiftKey. It appears to limit the mistakes I make while maintaining a relatively quick typing speed.

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't have my M8 yet but I usually use Hello or HoverChat.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Never heard of Hello Chat! But if I was to use Google as default than text will only come through to it right? And does the other person have to be using it too?

I don't have my M8 yet but I usually use Hello or HoverChat.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Never heard of Hello Chat! But if I was to use Google as default than text will only come through to it right? And does the other person have to be using it too?

You asking about using Google Hangouts as default? If so, then the answer is no the other person doesn't have to have it when used for text messaging. Under those circumstances it works the same as any other messaging app. If you want to use it for instant messaging or video calling, then yes the recipient must be using the Hangout app for that to work or be signed into Google+ on their computer it works there too.

hsmithmier

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Textra is my favorite. It's very simple and clean. May be just me though.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I used to use Swype until Swiftkey came along. Swiftkey is the cat's meow! The prediction on this keyboard app is PHENOMENAL!! :)

deeler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I've got the GPE, I'm using Handcent. Still trying to get used to the limited colors of the notification light after coming from a galaxy nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non