I am going to be travelling to the Bahamas in a few weeks. What would be the best way to use my phone over there without roaming the entire time on Sprint's network/.
    09-09-2014 10:59 AM
    check with Sprint to make sure your M8 is unlocked and will accept a local prepaid SIM card. turn off mobile data and your phone when you board the plane. then buy a local carrier prepaid SIM card when you get to the Bahamas at the airport or local store and install/use while you're there.

have fun and good luck!

phones
    check with Sprint to make sure your M8 is unlocked and will accept a local prepaid SIM card. turn off mobile data and your phone when you board the plane. then buy a local carrier prepaid SIM card when you get to the Bahamas at the airport or local store and install/use while you're there.

have fun and good luck!

phones
    09-09-2014 11:52 AM
    I recently travelled to Italy with my Sprint M8 (unlocked) and no trouble with a local SIM card. Other than understanding the guy in the cell phone store ;-)

You can pick up a cheap SIM right in the arrival hall in Nassau or Freeport.
    dty06 likes this.
    09-09-2014 08:59 PM
    An easier solution might be to check with Sprint if they have a reasonable international roaming plan for the period you're away.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-11-2014 12:36 PM
    An easier solution might be to check with Sprint if they have a reasonable international roaming plan for the period you're away.

Posted via the Android Central App
    From my research I've found that international roaming is almost always significantly more expensive than buying a prepaid SIM. Especially if you want to do data, the roaming rates are basically robbery.
    09-11-2014 01:20 PM
    I recently travelled to Italy with my Sprint M8 (unlocked) and no trouble with a local SIM card. Other than understanding the guy in the cell phone store ;-)

You can pick up a cheap SIM right in the arrival hall in Nassau or Freeport.
    Oh nice, I'm going to Italy over my Thanksgiving break this year, might I ask how much you paid and for what (Data, voice,text allotment) for your SIM?
    09-11-2014 01:27 PM
    From my research I've found that international roaming is almost always significantly more expensive than buying a prepaid SIM. Especially if you want to do data, the roaming rates are basically robbery.
    I pay exactly zero for international data roaming and $0.20/minute for calls, while outside the USA, or zero/minute if on WiFi.

My point was, no one even suggested the OP could simply roam. The responses made it sound like SIM swapping was the only option.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-11-2014 08:11 PM
    I pay exactly zero for international data roaming and $0.20/minute for calls, while outside the USA, or zero/minute if on WiFi.

My point was, no one even suggested the OP could simply roam. The responses made it sound like SIM swapping was the only option.

What carrier are you on?
    09-12-2014 12:09 PM

my point was OP is on Sprint.
    09-12-2014 02:38 PM
    my point was OP is on Sprint.
    Maybe Sprint offers something for roaming the OP finds enticing. My point is all the responses made it sound like SIM swap was his only option. It's not.

09-12-2014 05:30 PM
    Maybe Sprint offers something for roaming the OP finds enticing. My point is all the responses made it sound like SIM swap was his only option. It's not.

what???

OP asked for the "best option". International Roaming on the Sprint network is not the best option. GET IT? we're all ten steps ahead of you.

Sprint
    International Roaming in Bahamas
    Pricing Information International Dialing
    Voice Pricing: $3.49/minute
    Special Voice Pricing: $1.29/min. with SWW Voice add-on
    Data Pricing: 1X/EV Data: $0.005/KB; GPRS Data: $0.019/KB
    Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Received: $0.05/msg
    09-12-2014 06:45 PM