Does anyone recommend Lollipop?

weepatc

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I always do a factory reset before I install a major update. I did this on iOS and I do it on Android. And I've never experienced the lag/FCs/battery drain that people commonly complain about after a major OS update.

So I don't have any hard evidence... just my experience.

Have to agree. After factory reset everything running perfectly smooth here. I'm really liking Lollipop on the M8. Looking forward to Sense 7 when it hits.

Posted via the Android Central App

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Wonder how quickly m8 users will get sense 7 with update with updated version of lollipop. Obviously HTC are concentrating now on m9 system. Hope it's not too to long that we see lollipop/sense 7 update for m8 after m9 is released.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with it and pleased to finally get lollipop yesterday. Only real problem I've noticed is the sms app lags on a contact I have lost and lots of messages with. No biggie though as I intend to do a factory reset this evening and start over with no backup so that should get everything back on track.

Battery life seems fine.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I like it. I've liked it since I first installed it on my Nexus 5 months ago. On my M8, I really like Smart Lock with my Moto 360. Under 4.4 the M8 was very laggy, especially in Chrome. That's all gone now, I have no lag so far. Everything feels smoother too.

Haha I take it back. Battery drain is pretty ridiculous so far. 32% in 3 hours doing nothing but streaming music on Bluetooth.

kv7ak

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Wonder how quickly m8 users will get sense 7 with update with updated version of lollipop. Obviously HTC are concentrating now on m9 system. Hope it's not too to long that we see lollipop/sense 7 update for m8 after m9 is released.

I might be noobing here, but please explain what you mean? I'm genuinely lost. Do you mean they are updated sense 6 to lollipop and wont push out sense 7 when the new flagship arrives, or just that they are waiting to do that until it goes on sale?

Question is i suppose, would it be better to wait for the sense 7 + lollipop upgrade over the recent sense 6 lollipop upgrade?

mavericket

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I always do a factory reset before I install a major update. I did this on iOS and I do it on Android. And I've never experienced the lag/FCs/battery drain that people commonly complain about after a major OS update.

So I don't have any hard evidence... just my experience.

Your advice was helpful..thank you ..so far no issues with update

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset seems extreme. I always power off to clear things out before installing an update. Mine and my wife's are both perfect and bug free as they were before. Battery great, speed better. I'm loving it.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Did the cache wipe and everything seems OK again. Battery is back to normal now. After the update yesterday the phone was running a 104 degree fever and going thru battery in about eight hours.

Factory reset is too much of a hassle especially considering you're limited to four device deactivations a year if you use Play Music All Access or if you BYOD at work and have to install a custom certificate.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Seeing a lot of negativity on here about Lollipop - battery life, notifications, lag etc. Does anyone actually prefer it to KitKat and recommend the upgrade?

After using last weekend on a Nexus 6 I can honestly say that it is not anything special or memorable to me. It had nothing that I preferred to the Kit Kat running on my other devices.

• from the i6+ 🐜

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
After having had it for a while now, I must say that I'm disappointed. I had been looking forward to it for so long but the battery hit and lag has made the transition less than I had hoped for.

Perhaps it's just a case of HTC not having had the time to optimise properly. In retrospect perhaps they shouldn't have made the 90 day promise.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset after installing and decided to stick as near as stock as possible for a bit to see how I get on. So I'm using BlinkFeed launcher and the HTC keyboard.

I font know if it's lollipop or the fact that I did a reset of just BlinkFeed but this phone is seriously fast! HTC don't seem to have bothered with animations when opening and closing apps which makes the phone feel so fast and fluid. Much better than nova was running on kitkat. I like it and intend to stick it out for a bit. Just miss the gestures.

I actually quite like the HTC keyboard too. The only thing I'm missing it if u realised you have a word wrong and put the cursor next to it, no predictions show up. All other keyboards would given you some different autocorrect options but the HTC one doesn't seem to. I thought it used to but then I'd didn't use it that much.

Overall I'm pleased with the improvments. It's really given my phone a new lease of life. Still a bit early for full battery comparisons though

Ricky McLain

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
No problems for me with lollipop. I did a factory reset before I upgraded. I don't like the new notifications, but that's just me. I turned them off. Battery life is fine for me.

Attachments

• 1146.jpg
    1146.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1148.jpg
    1148.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1149.jpg
    1149.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 1147.jpg
    1147.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I might be noobing here, but please explain what you mean? I'm genuinely lost. Do you mean they are updated sense 6 to lollipop and wont push out sense 7 when the new flagship arrives, or just that they are waiting to do that until it goes on sale?

Question is i suppose, would it be better to wait for the sense 7 + lollipop upgrade over the recent sense 6 lollipop upgrade?
Well at the moment sense 6 is the latest version. But sense 7 will debut with the m9 phone. But it's likely m8 will only get the sense 7 update much later in the year sometime which hopefully will come bundled with lollipop updates too.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well at the moment sense 6 is the latest version. But sense 7 will debut with the m9 phone. But it's likely m8 will only get the sense 7 update much later in the year sometime which hopefully will come bundled with lollipop updates too.
Considering some US carriers don't even have the lollipop update you can expect sense 7 to drop probably around the middle of the year. And of course US carriers will get it around August.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Seeing a lot of negativity on here about Lollipop - battery life, notifications, lag etc. Does anyone actually prefer it to KitKat and recommend the upgrade?

Yes. 100%.
It was a fairly painless upgrade, and it works perfectly on my Unlocked M8. (non carrier model).
I had early battery drain problems that went away after one day.

Never come to a User Forum to find out if something works. ONLY those having problems show up in forums. People who are NOT having problems rarely visit forums. I stumbled into this topic only by accident.

If this update was killing EVERY HTC phone it would be front page news. Its not.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd go back to kitkat in a second I hate the notifications on ur lockscreen ****n stupid n kitkat did run smoother

Posted from the almighty htc m8

Set it not to show them at all

Attachments

• 58471.jpg
    58471.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 29

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
After a week or so on lollipop, I like it but battery life is definitely worse and the phone gets really warm during constant use, say 10 plus minutes web browsing.

Hopefully 5. 0.2 will sort it out

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Considering some US carriers don't even have the lollipop update you can expect sense 7 to drop probably around the middle of the year. And of course US carriers will get it around August.

I don't think it'll be quite that long. Updating from Sense 6 to Sense 7 will require less testing by the carriers as the underlying software (Android Lollipop) will be the same.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it'll be quite that long. Updating from Sense 6 to Sense 7 will require less testing by the carriers as the underlying software (Android Lollipop) will be the same.
Not to sound like an a**, but when lollipop was released (actually released, not dev preview) many thought the m8 would have it by the end of 2014, which was true for the GPE M8, but I speculated Verizon would twiddle their thumbs until the middle of March.

If we see the m9 debut and release in March, the global m8 will have the sense 7 update by late April to mid may, US carriers in June, and Verizon in late July or early August, Give or take a month depending on how fast HTC gets it out the door. It is indeed a smaller update in terms of major android versions but the carriers pretty much test them all the same way.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Not to sound like an a**, but when lollipop was released (actually released, not dev preview) many thought the m8 would have it by the end of 2014, which was true for the GPE M8, but I speculated Verizon would twiddle their thumbs until the middle of March.

If we see the m9 debut and release in March, the global m8 will have the sense 7 update by late April to mid may, US carriers in June, and Verizon in late July or early August, Give or take a month depending on how fast HTC gets it out the door. It is indeed a smaller update in terms of major android versions but the carriers pretty much test them all the same way.

Don't worry, I completely understand being a bit pessimistic about carrier updates.

After doing some digging on how long it took the One M7 to get the Sense 6 update, it seems you may be partially right. The developer edition of the M7 got it about 2 months later. However, the carrier versions quickly followed. TMo, Sprint, and Verizon got it about 2 weeks after the DE. AT&T took about a month after the DE. In any case, HTC met their 90-day deadline by a pretty large margin.

So, if HTC and the carriers follow this same route (no guarantee, of course), we should hopefully see Sense 7 on the carrier models by late May/early June.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87