HTC one m8 turns off

ashlok

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys, I charged my HTC one m8 battery for many hours using my laptop. few hours later the phone suddenly goes off when using the camera.... later it started turning off suddenly, to often.... now I cant turn the phone on for more than 7 seconds without the m8 turning off.
but here's the funny bit. I can enter recovery mode and keep the phone on the whole day till the battery runs low.
Please help me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Was the battery low when you charged it? The USB on most laptops is quite low...I would try plugging into the regular wall charger for a few hours before trying to turn it on.

ashlok

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Battery was at 20%. It happened two weeks ago. I have been charging for many hours every day. cos thats the only way I can use the phone at work. Yet still when I unplug the charger, it immediately goes off.

ashlok

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I've thought so myself, but I'm baffled by the fact that I can keep the phone on in recovery mode on for many hours without the phone turning off

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking the battery is bad too.

The reason you can keep it on in recovery is likely because the phone isn't really doing anything and is putting minimal load on the battery. As they get weak, they suffer from greater voltage sag. All batteries will show a dip in voltage when a load is put on them, then recover when the load is removed. With a weak battery, that voltage will drop a lot more, everything else being equal. This usually shows up with the device shutting off when the gauge at something more than zero. I.e. 20%. The phone sitting idle in the recovery screen is putting no real load on the battery because it's not running apps, turning on the radios, minimal graphics, etc.

jp0782

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking the battery is bad too.

The reason you can keep it on in recovery is likely because the phone isn't really doing anything and is putting minimal load on the battery. As they get weak, they suffer from greater voltage sag. All batteries will show a dip in voltage when a load is put on them, then recover when the load is removed. With a weak battery, that voltage will drop a lot more, everything else being equal. This usually shows up with the device shutting off when the gauge at something more than zero. I.e. 20%. The phone sitting idle in the recovery screen is putting no real load on the battery because it's not running apps, turning on the radios, minimal graphics, etc.

i have the same problem and i realdy replace my batt but still have the same prob. need help here anymore suggestion ? thanks in advace

Kbedford

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I don't think this is a battery issue. I've had my HTC One M8 for two years with no problem & this issue started happening with my phone yesterday. It's not like the battery degraded overtime - one day it worked fine, the next it shuts-down as soon as its unplugged.

I have done a factory reset, but the issue persists. I've also scanned it for malware, but it appears to be clean.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Hello guys, I charged my HTC one m8 battery for many hours using my laptop. few hours later the phone suddenly goes off when using the camera.... later it started turning off suddenly, to often.... now I cant turn the phone on for more than 7 seconds without the m8 turning off.
but here's the funny bit. I can enter recovery mode and keep the phone on the whole day till the battery runs low.
Please help me.