Phone is in a loop of turning off and on every few seconds. Help?

Sep 18, 2023
Visit site
My P20 was working fine today, then suddenly I heard it vibrate, as if turning on. The screen was black, then it vibrated and I got the simple "Huawei - powered by android" screen, which is white letters on a black background. That screen stays on about 5 seconds, then turns black for a couple of seconds. Then this repeats. It's now been doing this for about 6 hours.

When I hold the power button down, it has no effect, no matter how long I hold it. The same for holding the power and volume up buttons at the same time.

I can't turn it off, nor can I turn it fully on. It just keeps on going through this cycle.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to stop the cycle?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sounds bad. :( Reminds me of how the old Nexus 6P (the only Google phone made by Huawei) tended to die. The fact that the phone doesn't even respond to the universal shutdown method (pressing and holding Power for about 20 seconds) is ominous.

You'd probably have to leave the phone alone until the battery drains. Then charge it back up and hope the loop doesn't start again. But if it does, the phone is probably finished.