Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 overheating rumors completely debunked...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Say whaaaattttt????? But I read on the internet that they was being sued because their chips burned down a test lab. I looked at some numbers and other users comments that said it was prone to overheating. Also I don't care how many facts and technical details there are in that article, I believe in my heart that the 810 is a defective chipset and Samsung didn't use it because it kept burning up, so I don't care if I have no understanding. I'm going to argue anyway to save face.

In all seriousness, I'm glad that there are those with integrity out there and this shows that not everyone with Technical writer/reviewer in their title has common sense.

Posted via the Android Central App

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't necessarily mean its debunked. It gives an explanation as to the overheating. Lets wait for more reviews

I offer a friendly challenge you to identify what part of his analysis doesn't debunk the assertions that have been spreading. In fact I challenge you to find a review that contradicts this one (in addition to the Anandtech article) that's written with this same level of granularity that proves the initial word of mouth propaganda to indeed be legitimate.

If after reading this article, someone still says they don't believe it, but cannot identify the areas of ambiguity that they can prove to be incorrect, then I question their agenda.

"i still don't agree with this...I can't explain why, but I just don't, therefore it's wrong"

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't necessarily mean its debunked. It gives an explanation as to the overheating. Lets wait for more reviews

Correct me if I am wrong but what has LG said about the Sd810. Sammy just wanted all their profits in house and that's fine but dang don't try to destroy the competition in the mean time. Just compete but there is no money in leaving competition out there

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's just desperate lmao I'm starting to hate samsung. I'm sticking with my m8 untill I've seen in depth reviews of the m9 first just so if i upgrade I won't regret it

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow that's just desperate lmao I'm starting to hate samsung. I'm sticking with my m8 untill I've seen in depth reviews of the m9 first just so if i upgrade I won't regret it

That's best bet I would say

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I offer a friendly challenge you to identify what part of his analysis doesn't debunk the assertions that have been spreading. In fact I challenge you to find a review that contradicts this one (in addition to the Anandtech article) that's written with this same level of granularity that proves the initial word of mouth propaganda to indeed be legitimate.

If after reading this article, someone still says they don't believe it, but cannot identify the areas of ambiguity that they can prove to be incorrect, then I question their agenda.

"i still don't agree with this...I can't explain why, but I just don't, therefore it's wrong"

I like a friendly challenge :D
Now as a disclaimer, I am not trying to bash anyone, and my arguments might not be correct, but I like to look at all sides of the arguments, and not take any article as conclusive

I probably won't be able to find an article as articulate as this one, and ultimately, I am saying that this article doesn't automatically destroy the overheating fact unless another HTC M9 (not any other phone) is put to the test, but I make my judgement on this:

- The article was made BEFORE Tweaker tested the HTC One M9. This implies that Tweaker is lying about testing the device and resulting in the high temperatures? or that there tests were not done properly? Could be or Maybe not...I'm not the one to say

- They seemed to have done a lot of their testing on the LG G Flex 2, a different device from the M9. Sure it has the same Qualcomm chip, but I think a more accurate test would be testing the M9

-
"All of these rumors also had another common thread, all but Samsung dropping the 810 were quickly denied by Qualcomm. All of the ‘overheating problems’ were found not to be true by many testers on dozens of production devices both at trade shows like CES and in the wild. You can buy an LG G Flex 2 now and it doesn’t overheat, it wasn’t underclocked as rumored, and has none of the ‘reported problems’.
- I think there are a lot of things that may contribute to overheating, such as the material of the device being tested, and what conditions its was placed in.

-
"It almost seemed like someone was trying to trash the 810’s reputation and knew how to manipulate the press to keep the echoes from fading into obscurity. This was either a set of desperate web sites in a slow news cycle or a really sophisticated FUD campaign."
- So this is pretty much saying that the Press is the blame for the over heating rumors? Or the rumors is part of some conspiracy?

-
"The grain of truth SemiAccurate found early on was the first silicon dev boards actually ran a bit hot, not overheating but hotter than final silicon was meant to run. To a layman this many sound bad but in the grand scheme of silicon development, running a little hot is not a big deal if you know how the process works."
- This may be true, but to me, the fact that the M9 gets that hot, when other devices are not as close, could cause an alarm to those who don't know how chips work. I think it would be a problem for anyone if the phone was too hot to hold, whether it was from overheating or from running too hot. Also might imply there is a flaw with HTC's internal design's or Qualcomm's chip

-
"It is quite normal to find bugs after you get first silicon back, the number of complex chip designs that don’t need a few silicon change level bug fixes is likely in the low single digits, the author can only think of two that did not need bug fixes in over a decade of covering the subject. This is how the process works, silicon comes back and the added testing speed uncovers a bunch of things which are then quickly fixed in the first spin."
- This could be possible debunker for the overheating rumors, but it all depends on what testing procedure the phone went through.

...All in all, I am saying that this article's is one person's testing which came to gratifying results, but this is not the "kill-all" article to debunk them all. Lets wait for other reviews of the M9. If other reviews show that the M9 doesn't overheat, I will believe it, but if they show otherwise, then something is up with the device. I feel though that a software update can fix this problem.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. So does it have a problem or not?

Posted via Android Central App

Something is fishy with this uh oh thing do you think that HTC could be pulling a fast one on us? Rumour of qhd screen or some other variant well we shall know tomorrow.