I want to root my HTC One. I'm new, and I have some questions and concerns.

Squidlyson

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have recently just bought a CSpire HTC One. I am new to smartphones in general, but I am very tech savvy. I mainly just want to start off by rooting my One so I can have apps that require root access.
I would like to root my HTC One, but I have a few questions.

- Will just rooting/unlocking my device pose a chance of it being bricked?
- Will installing something like Cyanogenmod pose a chance of it being bricked?
- Can you unroot/unlock a rooted/unlocked phone?
- What is the best, reliable, safe tutorial for rooting/unlocking my One?
- What is the best, reliable, safe tutorial for installing a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod on my One?

If someone could answer these that would be fantastic! Thanks ahead of time!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have recently just bought a CSpire HTC One. I am new to smartphones in general, but I am very tech savvy. I mainly just want to start off by rooting my One so I can have apps that require root access.

- What is the best, reliable, safe tutorial for installing a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod on my One?

Welcome to Android Central :)
1. As long as you download the correct files and make sure you unlock the bootloader if it is needed the chances are slim
2. Again, as long as you download the right file for your specific model it shouldn't be an issue
3. Yes, you can unroot your phone if you need it to send back to the carrier/OEM
4. I'd look on the xda-developers forum for your specific carrier and phone
5. Installing the ROM is pretty easy, just boot into the custom recovery flashed on your phone and install the ROM. You should have it saved on your phone in a zip file, the phone does the rest :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
The best thing to do is to try finding videos on YouTube about rooting the One. Just watch these, just to get a feel for the steps. Now be advised: Some carriers have different rooting procedures than others so it may be even better to try to find videos on how to root your device. (Searching by model number might help in results).

To answer your questions:
#1. No. It does void the OEM warranty on the OS.
#2. Loaded question. Possible? Yes. However, if all proper files are downloaded, and correct procedures followed, then no.
#3. You are using terms interchangably that aren't to be used that way. A locked phone being SIM locked or locked to a carrier. Rooting is something different (Think Administrator rights on Windows). You can have a carrier locked phone (Meaning you can't take it to another carrier) and still root it.
#4. Unknown (I don't use/have a One)
#5 Most flashing (install) procedures are the same. Usually done through a custom recovery (Crucial tool needed to flash ROMs. Backup ROMs can be created in case something goes wrong)

richard_325

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
After unlocking and rooting my HTC One from C Spire, I am now wanting to return to stock so that I can receive the OTA's. I can't seem to find the RUU Files for a C Spire HTC One. I know that it can use some Sprint ROMS and recoveries, but I'm almost positive that flashing a Sprint RUU on a C Spire HTC One wouldn't go well. Please help if you know where I can find the RUU files.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
After unlocking and rooting my HTC One from C Spire, I am now wanting to return to stock so that I can receive the OTA's. I can't seem to find the RUU Files for a C Spire HTC One. I know that it can use some Sprint ROMS and recoveries, but I'm almost positive that flashing a Sprint RUU on a C Spire HTC One wouldn't go well. Please help if you know where I can find the RUU files.
Did you create a backup before flashing your new ROM.

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You need to check out the XDA forums, this link in particular, it will tell you all and guide you through what you want. Also try to find the Hasoon All in one toolkit. With this you can get the unlock code, unlock, flash a custom recovery (suggest TWRP ) and in the forums find a particular custom rom for your needs. I like the Elegancia for battery life and custom installs [Tutorial] Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM - xda-developers
Found this link in another post http://rootzwiki.com/topic/105129-t...ne-toolkit-v31-7-28-2013-perm-rootnoob-proof/

richard_325

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I did not take a backup before flashing SuperSU. So the furthest back I can go is Unlocked bootloader, rooted Stock ROM. If i accept the OTA Update will it just get rid of my root? I'm on 4.2.2 and the update is for 4.3. I've heard that by accepting the OTA it will either get rid of the root and update like normal, or it will screw my phone up completely.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried to accept an OTA while rooted and it just failed to run the update, but YMMV. I've heard from others that doing this messed up their device requiring wiping and reflashing a ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer