Ive rooted my htc one x now what?

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys i finally rooted my htc one x, i have two htc one x's and so i figured the one i dont use i would root it... Now that its rooted i would really like to flash a custom rom to it like i see everyone eles doing. Im looking for a stock JellyBean experience with google now and the whole nine if thats even possible. If anyone can lead me to the right direction in terms of what rom to flash and also how to flash lol im kinda clueless. Ive tried to go onto XDA forums but honestly theres a million posts and it can get very confusing over there so if anyone can just help me find a tutorial as well as the rom im looking for it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I would start here if you want a relatively stock experience on JB.

[ROM][OFFICIAL CM10] CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for HTC One XL - xda-developers

There are other ROMs that use the same source as CM, so this will give you an idea of what is out there. Make a good backup of your stock setup through recovery so you can go back if desired. Also, if you find the camera to not be what you are looking for, search this thread for the 4.2 camera- it is much nicer than the one currently in CM, though the end pics are not too different.

You can also try one of the Sense custom ROMs here-

One X Android Development - xda-developers

This second link is where we will find the Sense JB roms once they make it out. Sounds like it might be soon.

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for all the information. I ended up flashing CM 10 and the 4.2 camera as well. i gotta say its awesome i was going to but the nexus 4 buy im pretty sure im going to keep my htc one X's... I did run into a problem though i flashed Gapps for JB and all the Gapps are on there but in the google play store i dont have a menu button on the top right corner to see my apps and what not did i flash the wrong gapps or am i missing something?

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No, you are seeing the effects of the hardware keys. CM removes the menu button from apps, and re-purposes the app switcher button.

Go to MENU-SYSTEM-HARDWARE KEYS

You can change what the button does to suit your needs, but I recommend leaving the tap for multitasking like stock, and long press to bring up the menu. You are true to the STOCK way of doing things, which should make transitions to new phones easier going forward. This issue is a side effect from when Google changed the design to expect on screen buttons, but manufacturers use real/capacitive buttons instead. Probably a transition period issue, but time will tell. But since our phone cannot simply redraw the bottom button panel to give us what we need to see (menu in your example), most apps devote a huge gray bar across the whole screen with three dots on it... which is teh suck. So CM (and HTC for that matter) let you set alternate uses to the existing buttons to cover this problem... and they remove the menu from the screen entirely.

In the end, the only time it still presents a problem (for me), is on a new app when I am not sure there is a menu there or not. Not hard to long press to find out, but the lack of visual is last bastion of annoyance :).

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks man for the answer I was going crazy not being able to have the menu button. I did as you suggested and I now have a long press to bring up the menu on the multitasking button. This cm 10 though is pretty sweet and I've noticed my battery life has improved yesterday was the day I flashed it so naturally I was messing around with it all day and at the end of the night I had 4 hours and 5 minutes of on screen time and I still had 15 percent left. This is coming from a 100 percent charge. Also the 4.2 camera is insane with the photosphere it may not come out perfect but hey just another feature to rub in my friends faces that rock an iPhone.

I do have one other question if I want to flash a different ROM do I lose everything? Can I do a flash without doing a factory reset and just wipe the cache?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You will have to factory reset as part of the deal. Even between Sense versions, the differences are apparently non-trivial. That is why I suggest the backup for your "Best Sense Rom" and "Best AOSP Rom" at least. Despite any decision you make, you will eventually want to try to see if the grass is greener on the other side and switch. With CM (or AOKP, etc) you can easily just restore your backup and flash the latest version on top with no fuss. Not so with Sense stuff, you need to reset not only between each ROM even if derived from the same original source... but you will often have to do so on the same ROM between versions. Which is where you will end up flashing, getting a first impression and either sticking with it or restoring a backup of one you like.

CM does still have some issues that get me to bounce back to Sense sometimes. The camera is not as good. The 4.2 Camera is closer, but Sense is known for a good Camera, so that is not a big surprise. Apparently new model Toyotas without the Nav option do not like Pandora over bluetooth... that is the most annoying for me, as well as currently there is issues with Nav crashing. The best part of butter is still not working yet, and I hope that my graphical issues get resolved when it does get turned on. It is still noticeably faster than Sense though, and the multitasking is great.

I recently tried the Venom Sense ROM, and after recovering from settings overload, am putting in a little time to get it setup to make as my Sense ROM. I had been using CleanROM dev 4.5 for that, but the new Sense is a little quicker, and I was having a couple issues that were only going to get solved with a factory reset... I didnt want to put in the time on an old build. I had been trying to wait for JB, but oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty