HTC ONE X - WiFi Experience on 2 new phones - AT&T

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

So since the 1.85 update on my HOX that i purchased on May 22, 2012 has been running pretty good with exception of when i Lock the screen and WiFi is turned on the alerts are delayed. Sometimes they come in within seconds, but most of the times can take 1-5 minutes.

I called AT&T and HTC and had AT&T send me a new HOX phone. My old phone starts with sn# HT23 and my new one starts with sn# HT26. My new HOX which is supposed to be my replacement phone came with the 1.85 update already loaded and after testing i'm encountering the same results as my original HOX. If I leave WiFi off and use my Mobile data i get all alerts for GTALK, GMAIL and other Apps that i receive alerts on. If i enable WiFi and lock my screen i then start having those delays again.

So today i discovered something interesting. After testing for 2 straght days both phones and performing various of Factory resets, I notice that all of a sudden I was getting all my larts 100% in real time within 1-5 seconds of me sending a GTALK/Email message from my PC using another gmail account to my main Gmail account that i have setup on my phone.

Turns out that I had my USB Charge connected from the phone to my laptop. I then unplugged the phone from the USB charge and the delays started again. Then I connected the charge back again and guess what???? That's right the alerts were in real time once again. I performed the above steps on both phones at least 5-6 times and worked every time.

It seems as if the phone is connected via USB cable that the WiFi connection stays alive 100% the way it should be, but if you don't have it connected to the USB charge then the delays happen.

HTC stated for me to send them my phone and they would repair it with a 2 week wait, so I'm going to send the "new phone with sn# HT26" to HTC have them repair that and once I receive the phone back if all is well I will send my old HTC phone back to AT&T via their shipping label/box they sent me and keep the newer phone. Meanwhile I will continue to use my normal HOX phone.. Let em know what your thoughts are and if you are experiencing anything similar to this. I will update this thread in 2 weeks when I receive the repaired phone back, updates to follow. Thank you.

-Mo

ANDROIDinOZ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I too had the HT24 and returned for a HT26. my new phone however does work good but I am experiencing some network issues as I work on the fringe of service and things get goofy for cell carriers in these grey areas. Keep us updated on what you find out and hopefully one day we all will have a 100% reliable HOX to keep us in touch and entertained!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't sent it yet try this:

Make sure Settings / Wifi / Advanced / Keep WIFI on during sleep is set to ALWAYS.
Then try turning on Bluetooth and leave it on even if you have no use for it. (No it doesn't draw down your battery.)

Also check if you have "Stay Awake while charging" set to ON in developer options.

Another test you can do is ping the phone using your computer. Keep pinging it while it falls asleep and see if the pings stop, or slow down.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You're right. WiFi does NOT stay on 100% of the time. From what I've seen the One X and Galaxy Nexus (CDMA) do not keep WiFi on all the time. I'm thinking it's an ICS thing. WiFi is set to Always stay on.

My router at home is slow to let anything connect to it, so I see it all the time. If my phone is locked for more than 5 minutes and I unlock it, I can watch the WiFi connect. It will gray out when I first unlock, then after a few seconds it will go a solid color.
If I'm quick enough, I can get to settings and see it saying "Obtaining IP address."

The iPhone and Windows Phone (7 and 7.5) both do the same thing. BlackBerrys are the only smartphone that still stays connected to WiFi 100% of the time. It's a huge battery drain, so I'm not surprised it turns off after a few minutes of the screen being off.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
@Bergeronjc:

It can't be that it turns completely off, otherwise NO wifi notifications would come thru at all. But as Movadoevo8 says, they just come thru late.

The explanation given on other forums is the wifi chipset goes into a deep sleep mode. Its is still there, and it can still detect if it needs to wake up and do something. But its very slow to do so. In fact its very slow to answer pings from another machine. But answer them, it does.

On three of my Android devices leaving Bluetooth on makes it wake faster. (Bluetooth is built into the same chip as the wifi).

The furry of traffic you see when you wake your phone is the phone refreshing some data elements (weather, Google Talk status, etc) that it does not bother with when it is asleep.

And its NOT a huge battery drain. Wifi takes less battery then 3G. The radio only has to reach 100 feet max, not 5 or 10 miles. Its a misconception that leaving wifi on takes power. It SAVES power, because all those sockets that are open for notification can go thru wifi instead of firing up the more power expensive 3G data link. If you can just keep wifi from going into total deep sleep it will be much more responsive.

If I text a google talk text message to myself from another account I get instant notification on every device I am signed in at. (A computer, a Nexus One on wifi only, an Acer a700 and my HOX. Its instant.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a firewall issue I had on an old Netgear router. Just forward TCP port 5228 and you'll be good with push notifications.

That only works for Google Talk, and jabber. Not all services use that port.

Besides, nobody needs to do that these days, since the phone makes outward connections to the push server and maintains an open socket. No inbound firewall ports need be open. Which is a good thing because the average user is behind at least 3 NAT firewalls these days.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha, life is short. Don't need to be interrupted constantly with trivial messages. Just group it all and give it to me when I feel like checking my phone. :p Just being silly.

Kind of lame that the only reason modern smartphones get any decent battery is because they are cutting corners more and more in things like connectivity, brightness levels, etc. They really should've stuck a 2400mah battery in there. I wouldn't mind the extra 1mm.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't sent it yet try this:

Make sure Settings / Wifi / Advanced / Keep WIFI on during sleep is set to ALWAYS.
Then try turning on Bluetooth and leave it on even if you have no use for it. (No it doesn't draw down your battery.)

Also check if you have "Stay Awake while charging" set to ON in developer options.

Another test you can do is ping the phone using your computer. Keep pinging it while it falls asleep and see if the pings stop, or slow down.

Hi,

I do have Keep WIFI on during sleep set to "ALWAYS" as it was default, i even tried to toggle it on/off. I do not have "Stay Awake while charging" set to ON under developer options, so that is not the reason why i get alerts with the USB cable connected.

I will try to ping/bluetooth tests as you mentioned above to see what i discover.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a firewall issue I had on an old Netgear router. Just forward TCP port 5228 and you'll be good with push notifications.

I don't think it's a firewall issue as i have no restrictions configured on my netgear router currently. Also this happens at my work, home and friends house. Additionally even if it was a firewall issue then that means when i have the screen unlocked I would have the same delayed issues receiving notifications. This only happens when the screen is locked/sleep.

-Mo

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Haha, life is short. Don't need to be interrupted constantly with trivial messages. Just group it all and give it to me when I feel like checking my phone. :p Just being silly.

Kind of lame that the only reason modern smartphones get any decent battery is because they are cutting corners more and more in things like connectivity, brightness levels, etc. They really should've stuck a 2400mah battery in there. I wouldn't mind the extra 1mm.

For me it's a big problem as I am a Google Apps Deployment Engineer and I rely on my GTALK notifications and Google e-mail to communicate with co workers/clients. Especialy when I travel, so I need to continue to receive real time notifications... :)

-Mo

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So you get instant updates when plugged in top your laptop?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So you get instant updates when plugged in top your laptop?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Yes i do.. and if im using mobile data...

-Update... weird today i'm getting all my notifications in real time on my original phone with no issues. I have also tries restarting the phone to confirm it is still working and it is.. uhmm the only thing i did was enable BlueTooth.. Going to turn off bluetooth and try restarting the device and test then.. this is so strange! (This is while i am at work, but the pass few days it's been a mess with the delays at work or home). uHmm...

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
7-15-12 Update:

Hey guys so I have my AT&T HTC ONE X phone the newest one i just received form AT&T on Monday which also had an WIFI issue like my original phone when locking the screen i got delayed notifications, except on the new phone it seemed to be delayed perm, would not receive them unless i unlocked the phone.

So it's all boxed and ready to ship out to HTC tomorrow, however i received a call from HTC today from a higher tier tech support agent and he stated for me not to send it in as it is not a hardware issue and it is a software/programming issue. HTC Confirmed that they are working on a new update to fix various WiFi and other bugs. They made note of the notification issues and are going to escalate the issue so it can be addressed in the next software update. Currently 1.85 is the latest and they could not confirm an ETA when the next firmware will be updated. I guess I will just have to keep the newest AT&T phone since it's newer and my older one has a tiny cratch on the body and send that one back :p.. I will continue to use DATA connection when my phone is on sleep mode and only turn on wifi if i need to stream or download apps or browse the web. Whenever I hear anything If i hear anything I will update this post, thanks.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Wait, it takes less battery to run wifi and bluetooth than it takes to use cell data.

You said yourself that it makes it instant, as I suggested, so why burn up your data plan?

Sent from my HOX

Reactions: purpleclad

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Because if i don't use data vs wifi i won't get my alerts in real time currently until HTC release a software fix.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
What about the other Advanced wifi option to increase performance? Maybe that keeps it awake and you'd get your notifications instantly all the time?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
7-16-12 Update

Guys so i'm still using my new phone aka 2nd HTC and it is working 100%. Not sure what happened, but i did find out that when i turned off "best wifi performance" i started to have issues again, and by keeping "best wifi performance" on i get my notifications in real time for Gtalk and Gmail in real time within 1-2 seconds for gtalk and 2-10 seconds for gmail.

The strange part is i tried enabling that feature in all my other tests and no luck so it's strange. I even tried rebooting my phone 4 times to make sure it would still continue to work and so far so good. I will report back after testing for a few more days to make sure it is working good.... I did notice my battery drain a lot quicker, although i was testing all day so the screen was on and off a lot so that could be also why it drained quicker. Updates to follow, thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo