Yay I got my one x finally

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got my one x and have been screwing around. Really like it so far. I was initially pretty crestfallen at first since it had some noticeable blemishes and shiny scratches, but after a while I stopped noticing them. They only appear at a certain angle and do not show up when looking directly at it. Just holding the phone causes various places to get shiny so meh don't care too much anymore.

Day one observations:

Great screen. It's pleasant to look at, especially for photos and videos, unlike the 256 color windows 3.1 look of all the SuperAMOLED phones I've owned. It was much less flattering in the AT&T store, but using it indoors with a good brightness makes it look great. Screen also has a good hardness to it and feels nice and premium.

This is the first time I've had a phone I've honestly don't mind just plopping on a desk or hard surface. Nor am I afraid of crushing it in my pants pocket. I've had phones big and small and I've always been wary of breaking or scratching it somehow. The hardness and solid feel of the phone yet slightly flexible and rubbery feel give the best of both worlds. Solid metal phones I've always worried about denting or permanently warping in my pocket. Plastic phones would be crushed. This phone, however, gives a peace of mind that few other phones can match. This also extends to handling the phone. There is enough surface on the edges to grip comfortably, along with a hard non-flexible frame and no material breaks along the side. Always hated the rubbery rim around the screen on many phones that always had uneven gaps and tons of dust stuck inbetween. The One X doesn't share this deisgn and instead looks very flush and secure and clean looking. The body is all convex and round and substantial and grippy, so good ergnomics all around. I was concerned with the build quality initially since all the One X phones at the AT&T store had a lot of flex and give in the back. The back on mine is hard and gapless. This is probably due to the store demos being subjected to direct sunlight, full screen brightness, and various other heat generating things that make it loose and expandable.

Other smaller things I notice is how nicely the microusb cable snaps into the port. May not seem like a big deal for most, but certain other manufacturers either have a cheap feeling rusted connection or require a sledgehammer to pop it into place, so I can tell the difference. The shade animation just opens and closes properly, unlike my GSII which kind of hangs with my finger and stutters about and sometimes doesn't open or close when I want it to.

One issue I had was how unsightly the pictures looked to me from the reviews and forums. I asked before but no one really took any pictures with lower exposure and lower saturation. Now that I actually have the phone, changing those options make a dramatic difference in how I perceive the quality of the photos. The video recording still pales in comparison with the GSIII and even my GSII, but at least it has better audio than the GSIII and the nightshots are much brighter than my GSII, which was unusable in dark situations. One very annoying aspect is it will constantly make clicking noises at times adjusting focus and a lot of times it will play this zooming in sound instead of taking a picture when I tap the button. It can be very hit or miss, and filled with funny noises.

Am not a speed demon so don't really care too much about lag here or there. I'm usually in no hurry when using my phone anyway. I hate the dialer. It's ugly and cramped. LED notification not very useful since I can't see it since its so small and only out of a small pinhole. Does it get brighter? I've only seen the chargin light. So far no real issues with wifi even in my terrible reception room so we'll see.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You gotta take the battery to the limit, dude, for at least a few times to get it calibrated...Most important advice I can give you.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Congrats!

There's a few dialed apps you can dl and try. Not sure about the brighter led but you can set the screen to turn on for certain notifications, that'll be much brighter but a battery drainer.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Now that day one honey moon phase is over and I've down updating the firmware and installing apps. Things are getting a little less rosy. I play three games primarily, scramble, words, and drawsomething. Words hangs alot when picking games. Scramble crashes a lot, hangs for a long time when first loading, gets stuck on ads and score countdowns with just the button showing, and worst of all, has a very high latency when swiping letters and misses a lot. It was laggy on my GSII too, but don't remember it being that bad, and didn't get stuck or crash. Drawsomething can get stuck while loading also, and sometimes crashes when I pick one of my games, or doesn't respond when I tap the game. I was looking for a doodle app and found something called Draw. It works, but crashes with two finger drawing. Yeah that may be the apps fault, but it was on top of the list of app searches with a good download count. Ah the pitfalls of Android.

One good thing is I find it more comfortable to read google play books on the phone than reading books on my ipad. The phone's battery is also much much better than my GSII. I was taking lots of pictures sporadically, updating the phone firmware and apps, playing games, reading books and emails, watching youtube clips, and doing various other things, sometimes next to a window with the autobrightness kicking in to full. Still kicking with 33% battery over wifi. My GSII would die within a day with no use just on wifi and standby, checking my gmail account and whatsapp. The tradeoff is, the HOX has delayed notifications.

Last edited:

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on the phone. The laggy stuff happens to me as well I just toss it up as part of android but the plus out weighs the naggy things. I think they all are gonna lag at one point even those beloved gs3's

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Congrats!

There's a few dialed apps you can dl and try. Not sure about the brighter led but you can set the screen to turn on for certain notifications, that'll be much brighter but a battery drainer.
How.do you.set the.screen to.turn on for notifications ?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
How.do you.set the.screen to.turn on for notifications ?

Sorry I meant apps can enable it. Like gosms for texts. Never cared to have it done for email or Facebook but I can't imagine there isn't an app or rom that would allow screen on notifications.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You gotta take the battery to the limit, dude, for at least a few times to get it calibrated...Most important advice I can give you.

Bad advice. The One X has a lithium Ion battery. They don't have memory like old Nickel–cadmium did so you can not calibrate them. Furthermore draining lithium ion batteries completely can damage the battery. They are healthiest if kept at at least 80% capacity.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh? iPhones have Lithium Ion batteries too, but we are often encouraged to drain them out once in awhile to get them working at their best?

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Bad advice. The One X has a lithium Ion battery. They don't have memory like old Nickel?cadmium did so you can not calibrate them. Furthermore draining lithium ion batteries completely can damage the battery. They are healthiest if kept at at least 80% capacity.

What are you talking about? The common advice that everyone says, and even battery experts will tell you, is to cycle a new lithium battery a couple of times. Charge it fully, let it drain to 10% or in most cases when the phone starts whining about being hungry, and then charge it fully again. You can drain it twice if you want, but at least once will do, to improve battery performance. This is not people getting confused about ni-cad memory issues and lithium. They are separate. The lithium, like you said, should not be drained to 0% or it will die, but most phones shut off before that happens. Just charge it when it starts overtaking your phone with popup messages.

@cashinout. I am seeing delays everywhere now. It shouldn't be a symptom of Android. This phone is new and I've only installed a handful of apps, with background notifications disabled for them. i am seeing HTC apps like Notes and personalization options that once loaded quickly spend a few seconds in limbo in a loading phase. Even if things are slow to load, at least it feels smooth enough with the transitions.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The advice about using the battery to the limit a couple of times isn't to improve the battery or fight some memory effect. It's to help the circuitry calibrate the battery charge so it can report battery levels more accurately.

This is what calibration is about, and while it doesn't improve a battery's charge or capacity, it may help if for example you have wildly terrible battery life - that could either be caused by a bad battery or by miscalibrated circuits... (or by excessive usage, but I'm ruling that out for this discussion lol)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert and this might have not helped, but i leery the phone die then charged or till the ledlight was green. Then turned the phone on and let it die again. Charged it while off overnight and powered on again.

This gives me closer to 12 hours of heavy use. ie auto sync 3 email addresses , fb, weather. Constant browsing throughout the day, 500+ texts, 60mins of calls and random gaming on my breaks and at home. My old aria barely lasted 5hours before hitting 5%. So to me, the hox is a bad arse whether or not the battery cycling works or not.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Other observations and annoyances. The browser lags a lot. My GSII was much smoother. When viewing pages unzoomed, it will lag every now and then when scrolling, when you first flick up or down to move the page, there is a half second lag. Once scrolling starts however you can play around with it and it won't lag. When zooming in, it gets a lot worse. After it reformats the text, flicking up or down there will be a good 1+ second delay, and that is for every single time you decide to scroll. LIke before, once you start scrolling, its okay and can even pan left/right without lagging. But if you are reading an article and have to scroll a little bit every few seconds, it basically seems to have difficulty starting up quickly. Same issues with pinch to zoom. If you do it the first time, its super laggy, but once it kicks to high gear, it can do it smoothyl, for a few seconds at least. Than it goes back to sleep and has to be waken up the next time you do any scrolling/zooming with a healthy amount of lag before startup. Yeah I don't know how other people's experiences are. I have desktop mode on and flash off. Have no mods or anything. Few apps running in the background, most are At&t stock ones.

Another issue is homescreen loading. It loads several times a day, usually after I'm done using the camera. Takes a good 5 seconds or more to load.

When taking pictures, I find that -1 saturation and -1 sharpness make a big difference. I've always hated the inky clipped blacks and shadows in HTC images. Lowering contrast helps eliminate it, but now the image looks all ghosty and pale, a bit brighter at least. I'll just leave it to 0 for now. The exposure is also annoying. When indoors, 0 is way to bright. -1 seems good. But outdoors, -1 is super dark, and 0 is also pretty dark. Another issue I had with the images I saw from the reviews. Even on the brightest sunniest days it looked like an overcast dark shot. Same issue with mine. It was super bright today, but the photos taken were more like evening shots, or thunderstorm is about to hit shots. Increasing exposure just makes the whole image cloudier and foggier, doesn't help it look any brighter like a sunny day. Another issue is half the time it will not take the picture when I tap on the shutter button. I have to tap repeatedly. Sometimes it refocuses. Sometimes not.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? The common advice that everyone says, and even battery experts will tell you, is to cycle a new lithium battery a couple of times. Charge it fully, let it drain to 10% or in most cases when the phone starts whining about being hungry, and then charge it fully again. You can drain it twice if you want, but at least once will do, to improve battery performance. This is not people getting confused about ni-cad memory issues and lithium. They are separate. The lithium, like you said, should not be drained to 0% or it will die, but most phones shut off before that happens. Just charge it when it starts overtaking your phone with popup messages.

@cashinout. I am seeing delays everywhere now. It shouldn't be a symptom of Android. This phone is new and I've only installed a handful of apps, with background notifications disabled for them. i am seeing HTC apps like Notes and personalization options that once loaded quickly spend a few seconds in limbo in a loading phase. Even if things are slow to load, at least it feels smooth enough with the transitions.

Battery Recharging Myth-Busting: Don't Completely Drain Your LiIon Batteries - Thoughts Media Forums

draining the battery does not improve battery life. the only reason one would even need to give a second thought to battery is if its levels weren't being read properly by the OS and in that case there are other safer ways to fix it that doesn't involve draining your battery.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Now that day one honey moon phase is over and I've down updating the firmware and installing apps. Things are getting a little less rosy. I play three games primarily, scramble, words, and drawsomething. Words hangs alot when picking games. Scramble crashes a lot, hangs for a long time when first loading, gets stuck on ads and score countdowns with just the button showing, and worst of all, has a very high latency when swiping letters and misses a lot. It was laggy on my GSII too, but don't remember it being that bad, and didn't get stuck or crash. Drawsomething can get stuck while loading also, and sometimes crashes when I pick one of my games, or doesn't respond when I tap the game. I was looking for a doodle app and found something called Draw. It works, but crashes with two finger drawing. Yeah that may be the apps fault, but it was on top of the list of app searches with a good download count. Ah the pitfalls of Android.

One good thing is I find it more comfortable to read google play books on the phone than reading books on my ipad. The phone's battery is also much much better than my GSII. I was taking lots of pictures sporadically, updating the phone firmware and apps, playing games, reading books and emails, watching youtube clips, and doing various other things, sometimes next to a window with the autobrightness kicking in to full. Still kicking with 33% battery over wifi. My GSII would die within a day with no use just on wifi and standby, checking my gmail account and whatsapp. The tradeoff is, the HOX has delayed notifications.

FYI i had the same issue that you had about the "delayed notifications" After testing for about 2 weeks like crazy and getting a new phone replacement which had the same issues.. turns out the reason was, because I needed to go to settings>wifi settings and enable "Best Wifi Performance". That resolved the issue with notifications while using WiFi. However just like the warning label states "will consume more battery" it sure does. it drains about an extra 20-25% more battery then if i have that off.. The good news is no more delays. I have also tested just using data connection and i seem to get good battery life as if i use wifi without the "best wifi performance option". So you can enable that peace and you will start to get your in real time notifications, but the trade off your battery suffers. Now that i discovered this , i can toggle and manage accordingly. When i travel and want great battery life and go to places where I have WiFi, i might use wifi without the "best wifi performance" enabled and not care about the delayed notifications to conserve battery. Another thing that works is disabling wifi and using data connection, this will not delay your notifications and you will have the same battery life as if you were using basic wifi. Hope this helps...

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Most annoying thing right now is the browser. May have to try another one. I disabled auto format pages, which eliminates the text reflow, but it still gets stuck and lags every time I want to scroll. Pinch to zoom always refreshes the entire page and centers the page in an entirely different place from where I was reading. Neither my iPad nor gsii does that. Now I just restarted my phone to see if it would improve. After unlocking the ring it freakin gives me a loading message for the homescreen. First time I've seen a loading message for a homescreen on boot.

Either there's something wrong with my phone or these issues are not unique. That next update can't come soon enough.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Most annoying thing right now is the browser. May have to try another one. I disabled auto format pages, which eliminates the text reflow, but it still gets stuck and lags every time I want to scroll. Pinch to zoom always refreshes the entire page and centers the page in an entirely different place from where I was reading. Neither my iPad nor gsii does that. Now I just restarted my phone to see if it would improve. After unlocking the ring it freakin gives me a loading message for the homescreen. First time I've seen a loading message for a homescreen on boot.

Either there's something wrong with my phone or these issues are not unique. That next update can't come soon enough.

I'd replace it under warranty. My hox doesn't have any of those issues, even before I rooted. I use chrome with flashify along side it and couldn't be happier. I use it on my new iPad too. But no text reflow, im surviving tho. Goodluck

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd replace it under warranty. My hox doesn't have any of those issues, even before I rooted. I use chrome with flashify along side it and couldn't be happier. I use it on my new iPad too. But no text reflow, im surviving tho. Goodluck

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Nope. It's not unique to my phone. Here's a good example of the laggy and weird flashing reformatting and getting stuckness of the browser. I did do my research before buying this phone, but usually I don't pay attention to browser performance since I assumed most modern phones should be GSII or equivalent by now.

HTC One X for AT&T Review - YouTube

Things like opening and closing the three dot menu and looking through browser settings isn't entirely instant. It lags. It really shouldn't, because my old phone didn't.

The phone settings can also be a bit slow and nonresponsive. A good example is going into apps and tapping on an app. The screen where you can force stop or uninstall an app pops up. On my GSII it was almost instant. On the HOX, it takes a good 1.5 to 2 seconds for each app's settings to pop up. My friend's pantech burst (budget last gen phone) only takes a second or less. Not GSII instant, but noticeably faster than the HOX. Here's a video of Aaron Baker reviewing the One X. He has the same lag issues when he tries to uninstall the AT&T Navigator.
AT&T HTC One X Review - YouTube

A lot of these problems are not dealbreaking by any means. But they are annoying, and the lack of polish really makes me wonder how far second place HTC is in regards to the Android race. There's apparently only two frontrunners since LG isn't trying and Motorola is doing...something.

I will see if messing around with the widgets will make the homescreen loading disappear. It's random anyway. I only have four homescreens though and the only thing that might want to wake up wifi and slow things down would be weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699