A little disappointed

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is not how I expected my 2nd post to go. But here it goes. I just picked up my very first Android device last friday. I was very impressed with both Samsung GS3 as well as my newly acquired One X. I am currently deciding if I want to stick with my not so fance and powerful Bold 9930 and wait until BBX or give Android a fair shot.

For the most part I find the build quality and sceen to be excellent. I personally love the power button on top. On the Samsung it's on the right side and I would hit it by mistake because that is where the volume rocker is on the Bold. The HTC One X design makes sense (no pun). I like the new interface, I was not a fan of my friends old Moto droid's interface at all. For an anti-iphone person such as myself. I found it easy to step into, yet fun to customize. Whatching videos on Netflix and Hulu Plus on the HTC screen are a joy. Youtube is also a beauty to view. Photos and video recording are really excellent as well. My Bold not to be out done, also takes great photos and video as well. I just am not able to send them to Facebook like I can with the FB/HTC app. As for the not so great keyboard I keep reading about, "Poppycock"! I find it pretty easy to use (worlds better than my wife's iphone, phew, I spit on you iphone 4s).

Now for the not so great.
I really don't like the music player interface. Easier and better on my Bold. Not warming up to HTC sync manager. BB Desktop, better. Today was the epic fail of all. I took my daughter to Dorney Park. I had the HTC fully charged and ready for the day. Phone started off really great. Pictures and three videos then promply uploading them to FB. First, the HTC got real hot, then shut off. I waited a bit to turn it back on and notice the battery way almost drained. It lasted me 5-6 hours. Thank goodness I had my Bold. I was able to finsh the rest of the day with it. Videos and pitures, with the exception of the video upload. I would have had to go through you tube.

So there it is in a nutshell. Now, I would be really greatful to the Android experts out there if they can help me out. Is this the infamous battery drain that I'm always hearing about? Or am I missing something? My wifi was off and GPS satellite setting was off. As for the overheating. I did have an Otterbox Defender on to protect my investment. Also, it was pretty hot in Allentown today, 96 degrees.

Last, I wish it had either a removable sim or a larger internal 32-64 which should be the norm for a high end device these days. Also a dedicated camera button is a real nice feature. Contrary to my complaints. I really like the HTC One X. That's why I chose it over the Samsung Galaxy S3. Did I choose unwisely? ;)

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Use the battery information in the settings menu to determine what drained your battery so fast. Were you using your phone in 100% brightness? I like to do that, but it basically makes your phone a wall tethered device.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
All the devices have quirks. Look.at some of.the color images coming back from the Mars lander. Do it side by side with a S3. Should instantly cure you of the doubt disease. The S3 doesn't even shake its ass close.
What do you use the most on any smartphone? Yep....the display. I moved from BlackBerry to android. Had a 9900. I have never regretted the move. They will fix the wonkie behavior on the OneX. I bet were also going.to.see Jelly Bean real soon. Ya got the best of the best. Give it some time, it will grow on you.

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Use the battery information in the settings menu to determine what drained your battery so fast. Were you using your phone in 100% brightness? I like to do that, but it basically makes your phone a wall tethered device.

When I checked the other day. I noticed that the major thing causing battery drain was indeed as you said, the brightness. I love me a bright screen. I did lower it to 60%. Should I have gone with lesser for outside or auto?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It was a nice day for Dorney! As far as the phone how many full cycle charges have your gone through? I think about 4-5 should really condition the battery to last longer. A friend has the One X and he gets a consistent 14hrs on his battery, not to bad at all. I love the one X and wish Verizon had it. I also like the SG3, but im not a fan of amoled screens and touchwiz, thats just me.

I would recommend CPU Spy and Gsam battery monitor to see what you phone is doing to expel that much battery in such little time. Also Allentown doesn't have the greatest coverage near dorney park its spotty and going in and out of 4G drains the battery fast. See if there is an app to revert to only 3G. I have one on the Razr MAXX called LTE on/off.

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
All the devices have quirks. Look.at some of.the color images coming back from the Mars lander. Do it side by side with a S3. Should instantly cure you of the doubt disease. The S3 doesn't even shake its ass close.
What do you use the most on any smartphone? Yep....the display. I moved from BlackBerry to android. Had a 9900. I have never regretted the move. They will fix the wonkie behavior on the OneX. I bet were also going.to.see Jelly Bean real soon. Ya got the best of the best. Give it some time, it will grow on you.

Agreed, all devices do have their quirks. My bold's was the 7.1.0.457. It muted my calls sporaticlly. Also, froze up my device memory. 7.0.0.1737 works very well with my 9930.

:D LOL "The S3 doesn't even shake its ass close". Very funny. Made my night.

How do you cope with the limited storage? I'm currently using Dropbox, but not to much.

Duke007down

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Without more specific information, it would be hard to diagnose the battery drainage that you experienced. What was the length or file size of the video that you uploaded? Uploading or attempting to upload large files while in a bad reception area can kill your battery in no time at all. Make sure you have decent reception (LTE if possible) when uploading large files.

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
It was a nice day for Dorney! As far as the phone how many full cycle charges have your gone through? I think about 4-5 should really condition the battery to last longer. A friend has the One X and he gets a consistent 14hrs on his battery, not to bad at all. I love the one X and wish Verizon had it. I also like the SG3, but im not a fan of amoled screens and touchwiz, thats just me.

I would recommend CPU Spy and Gsam battery monitor to see what you phone is doing to expel that much battery in such little time. Also Allentown doesn't have the greatest coverage near dorney park its spotty and going in and out of 4G drains the battery fast. See if there is an app to revert to only 3G. I have one on the Razr MAXX called LTE on/off.

I didn't think of that. I did notice the 4g symbol working it's little butt off today. I'm over in Bethlehem, but work in Whitehall. Wonder how that will affect me in the long run.

So far, thanks to all you guys that chimed in so quickly. Gave me great and solid suggestions and solutions.

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Without more specific information, it would be hard to diagnose the battery drainage that you experienced. What was the length or file size of the video that you uploaded? Uploading or attempting to upload large files while in a bad reception area can kill your battery in no time at all. Make sure you have decent reception (LTE if possible) when uploading large files.

Ok, I'm starting to get this now. The video setting was at Full HD 1920x1080. Three- Four videos uploaded, Three were succesful. Then battery went down for the count. Would that also explain the overheating and shutdown? Or could that have been from almost being drained? If I recall correctly, the phone was at about 24% when the issues occured.

furygoalbrtis39

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm starting to get this now. The video setting was at Full HD 1920x1080. Three- Four videos uploaded, Three were succesful. Then battery went down for the count. Would that also explain the overheating and shutdown? Or could that have been from almost being drained? If I recall correctly, the phone was at about 24% when the issues occured.

While that really stresses the CPU and Radios, it shouldn't cause it to shut down.
I'd consider exchanging it for a new one from wherever you bought it.

The overheating though, its completely normal when playing games or using the phone heavily.

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey Schlemer! I'm glad you're asking for help with your problems instead of simply taking the device back.

You've had input about your battery issues - great. As far as the music app, are you using the stock HTC music player? If so try using Google Music; it's wonderful in my opinion. Nice UI, smooth, full of features, etc.

When connecting your mobile device to your computer, mount the one x as a disk drive. HTC Sync is annoying and it is simple to drag and drop items into the phone's folders (in my experience).

Now Faster & Smoother!

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Schlemer! I'm glad you're asking for help with your problems instead of simply taking the device back.

You've had input about your battery issues - great. As far as the music app, are you using the stock HTC music player? If so try using Google Music; it's wonderful in my opinion. Nice UI, smooth, full of features, etc.

When connecting your mobile device to your computer, mount the one x as a disk drive. HTC Sync is annoying and it is simple to drag and drop items into the phone's folders (in my experience).

Now Faster & Smoother!

I am using the stock HTC player which I'm not really happy with. I found the Google music app (the one with the little headphones?). I will give it a little time. Old habits die hard though. As for HTC Sync, yes as I stated earlier I'm not very fond of it. The first time I downloaded music, I actually did drag and drop. It worked better and the album art showed up. With Sync, they do not (more or less).

@ furygoalbrtis39 - Nice Avatar pic. My wife and I love The Big Bang Theory. Bazinga!

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a few apps cause the device to stay awake and drain the battery. I try to make a habit of hitting the back button to exit apps (rather than the home button) which seems to prevent this for the most part.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Play Music is also really good cloud storage for your music, so you don't have to take up space on the device. I use that and Dropbox, and I hardly take up any space at all (auto upload my pics to Dropbox, and then delete them from the phone). I have only used about a Gig of space on my phones 10GB available (and most of what is taking up space is game file information).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress