My 4-day old 1X is a brick..unusual?

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Bought last Wednesday. My phone hasn't even left my house as the ATT store didn't have screen protectors and mine has not arrived...and I don't want to risk scratching. So yesterday did a test to see how many full-length movies I could see in airplane mode (three, and I travel a lot) and then recharged. Shut it off fully charged at bedtime, today it won't go on. The big sleep!

Has anyone else had a 1X just not turn on, and if so, did it happen when new or after some use?

back to att store in a couple hours for a new one....

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
First, how sure are you that it is bricked?

What happens when you hold down the power button for a long time?

Are you sure the charger works?
Do you have any other charger you can test with?

I've never heard of on bricking that bad but I've never heard of anyone with the time or patience to watch 3 back to back movies just to test the battery life.

Take it back an get it replaced.

Oh, and don't be afraid to take your phone out of the house, the screen does not scratch that easily.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL I didn't watch the movies I (coincidentally) layed brick all day. But yeah, did long-press, short press, plugged in charger (no LED) it was a brick. Gave it to my teenage son, he couldn't make it work either.

So I boxed it back up took it to ATT store just now - and the lady takes it out & presto, starts it right up. Wierd. She said "New phones get confused" which to me is a very BS line (I program computers for a living, and this makes no sense whatsoever).

Even stranger - I had shut it off last night fully charged. Battery showed 50% when she got it on.

Been turning it off & on, of course now it works every time! Anyone else see this??

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just sounds like a weird software issue. If it happens again press the power button down for 10 seconds. That will restart it (it's the same as pulling the battery).

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
i think its just battery being exhausted.

I had shut it off last night fully charged. Unless the battery exhausts when the unit is shut off? I would find that very unusual.

Anyway, when the rep got it to start it showed 50%. So I think your suggestion not applicable. But I'd like to know if these use battery when presumably shut off.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Some think the quick boot option does drain power when shut down, but I don't know for sure.

Did the rep tell you how they got it to boot?

There's pretty much no valid reason to turn the phone off st night. Just hold volume down button and put it on silent and your phone will be up to date with all your mail, news, weather, messages, etc when you wake up. Leave it on the charger, it won't hurt it. These things are designed to run 24/7.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a bad cell in the battery put in airplane mode charge it up and if if it really gets hot I mean fry an egg on it hot and the screen is hot bad battery bro
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Some think the quick boot option does drain power when shut down, but I don't know for sure.

Did the rep tell you how they got it to boot?

There's pretty much no valid reason to turn the phone off st night. Just hold volume down button and put it on silent and your phone will be up to date with all your mail, news, weather, messages, etc when you wake up. Leave it on the charger, it won't hurt it. These things are designed to run 24/7.

Interesting about quick boot. Nice feature it is extremely fast.

Rep just pressed the power button...made me feel a bit of a fool after 3 of us tried to get the thing to start but anyway I do plan just to leave it on from now on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38