HTC One X Jellybean (at&t)

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The carriers look forward to the next phone, not backwards to what their customers already have. That's why they are so lazy with updates. They should be forced to keep phones updated for two full years, since that is how long contracts last.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The inability of HTC and AT&T to get this phone updated is seriously killing my interest in the HTC One. Just don't feel I can trust them. Yeah, its mostly AT&T, but either HTC doesn't care that AT&T doesn't care about updating it or they have no pull with AT&T. Neither is good. There has to be some kind of consequences for this kind of thing. They cost me getting their phones until I see evidence of improvement on this front if nothing else.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
The inability of HTC and AT&T to get this phone updated is seriously killing my interest in the HTC One. Just don't feel I can trust them. Yeah, its mostly AT&T, but either HTC doesn't care that AT&T doesn't care about updating it or they have no pull with AT&T. Neither is good. There has to be some kind of consequences for this kind of thing. They cost me getting their phones until I see evidence of improvement on this front if nothing else.

HTC is powerless against AT&T. They just don't have the pull that Samsung has and are desperate to gain market share so they'll make concessions with the carriers who are willing to sell their devices.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One X with ViperXL using Android Central Forums

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC is powerless against AT&T. They just don't have the pull that Samsung has and are desperate to gain market share so they'll make concessions with the carriers who are willing to sell their devices.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One X with ViperXL using Android Central Forums

Yup.. at least is not like Verizon.. they were a steal trap about the Thunderbolt... it just recently got ics...

I think the HTC one is gonna be Badass.. really good phone, no matter if they updated it properly or not, I'm always gonna root and rom.... that being said, I can't wait to see the note 3... still won't be distracted from it haha

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you think they'll ever succeed in locking down new phones so tight we won't be able to root?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
They will never lock it down like Apple (and hackers figured Apple out every time)

Google flaunts android as being open source.. devs will always figure things out..to much fun haha

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Even though this is my first Android phone and the update experience is pathetic coming from the Apple world...I absolutely love my HOX, and ViperXL is the reason. My friend has a S3 with a custom ROM and it pales in comparison...they are jealous of my phone...I haven't experienced this kind of gadget envy since I was the only person I knew with an iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple compares better to Google for phone OS upgrades, than HTC or Samsung... for obvious reasons. They, the both of them, keep the upgrading to themselves as a "cost" of allowing the vendors to sell them. The HTC's and Samsungs of the world however, are beholden to the carriers (the carriers are their customers after all, far more than we are).

I don't think HTC is really trying to keep everyone out of their phone, though they put more effort into it than Samsung does. They have to keep appearances up with the ATTs of the world that they are trying, but make no mistake, if they REALLY wanted us to not unlock the phone, we would not.

Samsung is no saint when it comes to upgrades either. This is the first android phone I have owned that is NOT Samsung (Captivate SGS1 and VZ Gnex), and both of those had upgrade issues. Even the Gnex... and it was NOT Google with the problem on that, but VZ. Just like ATT is the problem here with the HOX JB update. I will agree that Samsung is putting their larger dev force up to keeping their devices updated, but I bet most of that is not dev work, but marketers massaging and making the carriers feel warm and fuzzy. As proven by the availability of JB software for the HOX in the custom world, it is NOT because the software does not exist. It is because ATT doesn't want to... deal with something. That something is debatable, be it support calls for upgrades that go sour, bloatware that works on new platform, or whatever the hell.

The only way to truly deal with timely upgrades is to get phones from the software maker's themselves... like the Nexus or iPhone. I sympathize with the rest of us, I really do... but getting upset at HTC over this is like kicking your dog because your cat pissed on the floor. Get mad at ATT, and get a Nexus next time or deal with the custom world. /rant

Phou84

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone last month when it was a deal to upgrade my iPhone 3G that I been using since 2008. My first android phone I was kind of reluctant to root it, so today I just finished rooting and flashing to ViperXL 3.2.3. I had to flash ViperXL OTA over so fix the USB to PC problem then do the S-OFF exploit. Took me only 2 hr of research and effort to finally get it to be completed but man am I glad I don't have to wait on ATT. Thanks to Bizzle69, I read a few post that lead me to do it.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I got this phone last month when it was a deal to upgrade my iPhone 3G that I been using since 2008. My first android phone I was kind of reluctant to root it, so today I just finished rooting and flashing to ViperXL 3.2.3. I had to flash ViperXL OTA over so fix the USB to PC problem then do the S-OFF exploit. Took me only 2 hr of research and effort to finally get it to be completed but man am I glad I don't have to wait on ATT. Thanks to Bizzle69, I read a few post that lead me to do it.

Boom.. UN-frustrating AT&T customers, one person at a time haha

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
AT&T gave Galaxy S3 JB 4.1.1 on December 3rd...that's close to 3 months ago...and the HTC One X doesn't have it yet...

I am definitely very interested in the HTC One - waiting for the SIV details to emerge still - but this inability to get updates out is a black eye for HTC...especially considering the HTC One is coming with 4.1.2...so how long will the wait be before it gets 4.2??

It definitely makes me want to skip HTC again this year and hope Samsung blows it out of the water when the SIV is announced...or I can continue to pray Google will put LTE in the next Nexus (and a Snapdragon 800?!) so I can never worry about AT&T upgrading my phone again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87