HTC ONE X WIfi loosing connection

slowmomomo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I have a problem with my HTC One X (international; 4.1.1) since yesterday.
Every once in a while it just drops the wifi connection, then finds it again, then drops and so on..
The connection is not stable. It lasts for only 3 seconds..
The wifi or router cannot be the problem, because my laptop is connecting fine.

Then after a while it seems to work fine again, but it re-occured a couple of times.
Restart also doesn't seem to solve it.

Anybody else with this kind of issues?

seanoneill

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. It started with jelly bean update recently. I tried unchecking "best wifi performance" under advanced wifi options and that seemed to help insofar as the interruptions do not occur as frequently (say every 3 minutes instead of every 30 seconds), but stil experiencing the less frequent interruptions. This did not happen at all before the jelly bean update. Help?

Last edited:

seanoneill

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
update: have tried every solution I can technically manage, including wiping cache partition, resetting router, changing wifi performance options, trying different router at different location (office vs. home) and I still am having jelly bean wifi stream connection interruptions, sometimes momentary, sometimes permanent drops. No problems at all before jelly bean.

seanoneill

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
update: seeming success! Spoke with HTC. They advised me to go into wifi options and "uncheck" "auto" under DLNA setting. They also advised to use the "5 GHZ" setting for my home router which is an N (and a newer router) and use the 2.4 ghz setting for my office where we have an older router. Seems to have solved things. Will confirm later.

seanoneill

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay: the solution I mentioned above (uncheck dlna auto-ip and reset frequency to 5 ghz only) works.
BUT to get to a stable connection with my wifi router (which has a frequency of 11) I must first set the wifi frequency setting to "AUTO". Then once the auto setting finds and connects the router I must reset it to 5 HZ to maintain an uninterrupted connection. Cumbersome....

dblespresso

May 8, 2013
Visit site
After updating to 4.1, I had the same issue with Wifi. I lost all connections and couldn't get it back. Brought it to AT&T Service Center and they had to reconfig my phone to factory defaults. Fixed the problem. However, I'm still having issues. Even though I turn my phone off at night, the battery is still getting drained. In the morning I try to start my phone and can't because the battery is completely drained. I then have to plug it in to start the charge in order to turn the phone on. Is anyone else having this issue? The phone was perfect until the damn update ruined everything.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend just doing 2.4 Ghz whether you have N or not and then experiment depending on if that fixes things. I couldn't connect to my wifi at all on auto.

Mochibaby

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same WiFi connecting and disconnecting in addition to battery draining after 4 or 5 hours. I let the battery drain all the way down and recharged the phone to 100%. It has been about a week but this seems to have fixed both of the problems.

Update: I had the WiFi running only at night while charging. I just turned it back on and the connecting and disconnecting is happening again. But the fast battery drain have not been happening.

Last edited:

DGollahon

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Linksys E3200 router. My HTC One X had trouble keeping a connection to it. Laptops never have any trouble with the main network connection though. I noticed that if I logged my phone into the Guest network I didn't have any trouble. That made me think maybe it is the type of encryption for the main network that is causing the problem. I looked at the router and encryption was set to WPA2 Mixed. So I set it to WPA2 Personal only. I have not had connection problems since.

Hope this helps some of you.

tyb525

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm at my wits end.

I can connect to any wifi router, but I can't get to the internet. My phone will say it's connected and it will get full signal when it should, but it won't load any webpage or connect to the internet in any way. I have tried static IP, best performance, etc., I even did a factory reset, all to no avail. I can't figure why I can connect to the network but not the internet? No error messages are shown. I can load the router's setup page.

All other computers and phone in the house connect fine. The router is a brand new Belkin N600, but like I said, the wifi won't work on any other network either. My mobile data connection works fine.