usb c audio skips when opening app?

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am using the included usonic usb c headphones
I was using poweramp to listen some flac files
and I was using my phone, open gmail and had a sudden pause to the music less than a second but very obvious
tried again and fine--probably because gmail was now open and in memory
but...tried opening another app I had not used and it happened again

I like the audio quality coming from the usb c port.
The lack of cross platform compatability is worrisome.

But if using usb-c means I could get some hiccups or pauses as other apps open, it makes it seriously wonder if this audio spec is really ready for prime time. Or at least how HTC is doing it.

I will keep testing and trying. But this is not a "bonus" feature so far. The nose cancellation on the usonics is great though..

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I am using the included usonic usb c headphones
I was using poweramp to listen some flac files
and I was using my phone, open gmail and had a sudden pause to the music less than a second but very obvious
tried again and fine--probably because gmail was now open and in memory
but...tried opening another app I had not used and it happened again

I like the audio quality coming from the usb c port.
The lack of cross platform compatability is worrisome.

But if using usb-c means I could get some hiccups or pauses as other apps open, it makes it seriously wonder if this audio spec is really ready for prime time. Or at least how HTC is doing it.

I will keep testing and trying. But this is not a "bonus" feature so far. The nose cancellation on the usonics is great though..
David, did you notice any scratching noises when using the usonic earbuds with noise cancellation turned on? It's happening on some songs, but not others. These are downloaded flac files. If you turn off noise cancellation, the scratching goes away.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...I did not think about any scratching noises..but now you mention it, maybe. I will try it again and if I notice it, will compare with and without nose cancellation.

I also ordered some other usb c headphones to test vs the included usonic buds.
VIOTEK Aqua USB-C Stereo Earbuds: Powerful 100dB; Dynamic & Purely Digital Sound; Quality Materials for Less Interference and the JBL reflect usb c model
we'll see what happens next!

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I also ordered some other usb c headphones to test vs the included usonic buds.
VIOTEK Aqua USB-C Stereo Earbuds: Powerful 100dB; Dynamic & Purely Digital Sound; Quality Materials for Less Interference and the JBL reflect usb c model
we'll see what happens next!

I was under the impression that HTC used proprietary technology with the usb-c headphone interface...I like to use various brands of headphones as well, did you confirm that non-HTC branded headphones will work with the U11? If so, this is a good development :)

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Did I confirm....nope. I perhaps made a bad assumption.

I assumed the HTC stuff would not work with NON-HTC devices.
But I assumed that non HTC usb C headphones probably would work with many devices, and possibly the HTC U11.
I believe stuff is coming tomorrow--we'll see what works.

If the HTC U11 has a locked down USB C port that won't work with any other USB-C headphones...well I don't know what the good options are--bluetooth mainly? other USB C to 3.5 inch adapters--or did they manage to disable anything but HTC branded usb c to 3.5 inch adapters?

Time will tell.

BowtomePhil

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just tried and no issues. I was listening to music via the Amazon app.

Just a thought, are you listening from internal memory or SD card?

On my old phone it skipped a lot, I had a crappy sd card. I use internal for music now, although I bought a better SD card for this phone.

Last edited:

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Viotek Aqua usb c headphones do work with the htc u11
but they don't sound quite as good as the included usonic headphones
also my fiio kunlun external dac also works with the htc u11--but you must use a usb c to micro usb cable

having tried it for a few more days...the usonics really sound pretty awesome--my ears don't like using bluetooth headsets any more. Dang you HTC!

I do wish the usonics had a volume control and a longer cable. Maybe we need more usonic options...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Viotek Aqua usb c headphones do work with the htc u11
but they don't sound quite as good as the included usonic headphones
also my fiio kunlun external dac also works with the htc u11--but you must use a usb c to micro usb cable

having tried it for a few more days...the usonics really sound pretty awesome--my ears don't like using bluetooth headsets any more. Dang you HTC!

I do wish the usonics had a volume control and a longer cable. Maybe we need more usonic options...
USonic is actually a pretty great idea with a very good implementation.

Only issue is that you can only use it on HTCs.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
USonic is actually a pretty great idea with a very good implementation.

Only issue is that you can only use it on HTCs.
Has anyone actually tried using it on another phone? I thought HTC said u can use them on other usb-c phones but they won't function as noise cancelling headphones

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The usonics don't work --I mean Not at ALL--no music --no nothing--the audio plays from the phone speaker
huawei mate 9
Axon 7
LG G6

the usonics are clearly htc only--I think only the U11 and U whatever that came out before it

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Set my phone up last night - the included headphone and sound are incredibly awesome!

The phone is nice as well.....buttery smooth.