U11 vs S8 camera comparison video

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Subjective. If you want to make it an objective statement, what criteria shall be used for making the determination?

False. I did and you ignore or deflect and come back with a baseless reply.

Notice how you pointed out the exact same things (Samsung leads display tech) I did (minus the subjective areas)? So having an abundance of features is all it takes? If Samsung is the best in 1 objective area, but is good in the rest, explain how that makes it the total package? For a quick shortlist, the U11 has an excellent display, excellent battery life, excellent software performance, the best rear camera, the best audio **internal and external audio. All of those are measurable.

No I insisted firstly that bitrates and framerates play the part more than just resolution alone. I said Blu-ray in its native format has a higher bitrate than streamed 4K. Also I'm looking at 1080p video on my 4K TV right now sooooo.... How is that possible since you said it can't happen?

Dude...I told you not to quote that and you did it anyway (as I knew you would). Show me "every reviewer" in that statement. My reasons as to why a reviewer has no more credibility within the scope of my original post, are easily supported by evidence (read trends) and not just a theory. Also notice how I said "its competition", so that doesn't make this exclusive to just it being a Samsung party. I choose my words carefully.

- Show me a classier, better looking OEM UI than Samsung's UI. I have yet to see one.

- You haven't given me any evidence aside from baseless claims

- The U11 has a good screen, good battery life, excellent software performance (but falls behind a few other phones), excellent, but not the best rear camera, and good internal and external audio (but not the best). The U11 also has an outdated design with large bezels and a squeeze feature that allowed it to fail JerryRigEverything's bend test, is basically worthless on Verizon and Sprint, lacks features, has a boring UI, small screen, no headphone jack, and is only IP67 rated. The HTC U11 isn't $100 cheaper than the Galaxy S8 out of the goodness of HTC's heart. It's cheaper because it is cheaper to build and has less features. The Galaxy S8/S8+ has the best screen on the market, the most and best features, the best looking UI, a camera on par with any other smartphone camera including the HTC U11, good performance, good internal audio (external audio is hampered somewhat by the IP rating, but most people are like me and don't care about external audio as long as its loud enough), has a headphone jack, Samsung apps are better than the Google equivalent, so on and so forth. The Galaxy S8/S8+ is inarguably the most technologically advanced phone you can buy. Samsungs are essentially bad at nothing and offer far more than any other phone. Other phones are either bad or inferior in some way or lack features. Samsungs are better because other phones aren't as well-rounded and feature-rich as Samsungs.

- I'm glad you now recognize that 1080p recordings are inferior in every single way to 4K recordings and are less futureproofed. The 1080p video you are watching is being upscaled to 4K. Think of it as digitally tweaking the video to make it 4K. It isn't playing natively at 4K.

- You made a blanket statement that included "camera comparisons on tech sites" and "tech reviewers with more notoriety". That leaves us with obscure tech reviewers. You say that the reviewer credibility can be shot down easily with evidence, but you only provide claims and no evidence. You don't choose your words carefully enough. Android Central believes that Samsung makes the best phones. Are they on Samsung's payroll? They're a tech review site with notoriety.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
UHD 4K TVs became much more affordable last year in 2016. An average 4K TV has been about the same price of a FHD TV when it became common at around $1000 for a 55". Of course, you can find it much cheaper and more expensive depending on quality. But the point is 4K TVs now are more than affordable for most people.

My family have already upgraded both of our TVs to 4K and me and my wife's iMacs are both the 5K model from 2015 and both of our phones are 2K, the same with our tablets. So all of our "screens" are way above FHD. The same with many of our friends.

As for content, we consume plenty of 4K content from Netflix and some on YouTube.

But even if you haven't fully upgraded to 4K yet, most likely you will in the next year or two. So it only makes sense to be future proof and start recording in 4K. To claim 4K is some "distant future tech" is just being in denial.

That's real nice that you get your content from Netflix, so do I, along with various other means.. But what is available on line is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to 720p and 1080p.

Both of these formats are the main formats used for just about everything, and will be for several years to come,but in the mobile world, 4k is still in it's infancy and even though you can take plenty of 4k video, 1080p video will be around for a long time. Just because 8k screens will be coming out, everything will be down sampled to scale for them. Noone is going to try to build a hardware upscaler for a phone.. The cost would be prohibited, and a software solution will be unreliable with too many artifacts.

All of my big screens are LG 4k oleds along with OPPO's 203's here so I know about content..

Don't get me wrong, recording in 4k isn't wrong, if that's what you want but understand that a good 1080p recording looks great on a great 4k set and great on a 2k mobile phone. Future proofing has nothing to do with it. It is all about storage space, battery life, and a great camera and a phone that doesn't overheat and limits your video taking time.

Mac

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's real nice that you get your content from Netflix, so do I, along with various other means.. But what is available on line is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to 720p and 1080p.

Both of these formats are the main formats used for just about everything, and will be for several years to come,but in the mobile world, 4k is still in it's infancy and even though you can take plenty of 4k video, 1080p video will be around for a long time. Just because 8k screens will be coming out, everything will be down sampled to scale for them. Noone is going to try to build a hardware upscaler for a phone.. The cost would be prohibited, and a software solution will be unreliable with too many artifacts.

All of my big screens are LG 4k oleds along with OPPO's 203's here so I know about content..

Don't get me wrong, recording in 4k isn't wrong, if that's what you want but understand that a good 1080p recording looks great on a great 4k set and great on a 2k mobile phone. Future proofing has nothing to do with it. It is all about storage space, battery life, and a great camera and a phone that doesn't overheat and limits your video taking time.

Mac

1080p smartphone videos look like doodoo on a high resolution screen compared to a 4K video. The difference is very clear. By the way, all the flagships this year will have a higher than 1080p display native resolution.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
1080p smartphone videos look like doodoo on a high resolution screen compared to a 4K video. The difference is very clear. By the way, all the flagships this year will have a higher than 1080p display native resolution.

Oh baloney.... They do not, unless you have a crappy 4k set to begin with. Oh wait... Do you have a Samsung... That would explain it then... Lol... Lol... Just kidding.. Granted it's not as good, but certainly it doesn't look like crap.

I watch plenty of 1080p content on my 65C6p LG as well as 720p cable.. Neither is horrible, but I agree true 4k is better. The better your equipment can upscale the better it looks.. And it all starts all with the quality of the content.. because not all 4k content is true 4k..

Mac

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'm glad that HTC FINALLY got right, was their EIS implementation on the U11. I remember how horrible the EIS was on the M9 (if it even existed at all). They did a much better job, especially when coupling it with OIS. I do wonder if they have plans to bring back OIS on the front facing shooter in the near future.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Here's the proof of some of the baseless claims recently made ... I'll take them in order.

#1 Since I actually own one and they don't, I believe that I am in a better position to critique the phone more accurately than they can. Also we will deal with a out and out falsehood that was made.

The u11 has the best LCD screen out right now. It's colors are more accurate than any other phone that I have owned or did a direct in hand comparison to. It is more pleasing to the eye, straight out of the box than any Samsung amoled screen. It isn't glaring or gaudy and does not need to be tweaked to look accurate. While amoled may be the preferred screen of you and others, I have found that a LCD screen like the u11 to be better on a mobile device than amoled screens due to eye fatigue and also for screen burn in.
The battery life on this phone isn't good.. It's great. I have been averaging over 6 hours of SOT with everything syncing, and not in any battery saving mode. No Samsung with the same size battery can match this. There is no Samsung phone that is better than the u11 for software performance. This phone is fluid and stands well above anything TouchWiz offers... and will do so 6 months down the line when TouchWiz is studdering.

Now let's talk about audio... the audio of the u11 tromps anything that Samsung offers including rooting the Samsung and loading Viper. It's onpar with my v10 and v20. Yes there are some differences, and yes it doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack but I think that the majority of people will never notice and you will need to put them on a scope to actually see any real differences. I love the sound from both. Having the uSonics map my ears and then adjusting the sound to them produces a near perfect blend of highs mids and lows. Clarity is excellent and the low end is punchy. The sound stage is expansive and enveloping. With the new software update for the dongle with the amp and Dacs it does not struggle with my high impedance reference Sony cans. Listening to any Samsung is equivalent to listening to 2 tin cans and a string... There is no comparison internally or externally. Oh.. the bs excuse of adding water resistance to the Samsung is the reason it's speakers sound terrible is just that.. BS.. This phone is also water-resistant and sounds excellent. There is a huge difference between being loud, scratchy and grating and being great because this phone goes loud and sounds great.. No Samsung does.

#2 Let's talk about it's outdated design for a few. The only people that are stating this are those who are in Samsung's pocket, their fanboys, or those tech writers who think having the thinnest edgeless phone is the most important thing to strive for. The design is a blend of practicality and real world experience. Why.. simply because it makes no sense to to build a phone without something to hold on to when out of a case. Luckily the designers didn't cave into the fad of form over function completely like those from Samsung. The top and bottom is there to support the phone and to give us boomsound. Not everyone loves Samsung designs.. Yes many people do and that's perfectly fine, but just because they don't like how the u11 looks is personal bias...oh...That Jerry rig test... At first I thought... Wow that ain't good and worried about it...heck I even posted this on the thread here... Then I came to the conclusion after really thinking about it .. In all of my years I have never stressed a phone in the manner he did. Ive dropped them off buildings, down elevator shafts, off of ladders and lifts as well as out of treestands, off mountains and into sewers, lakes, ponds, and I have never bent a phone like he did just to get it to fail..Sure I've broken them in all sorts of ways.. and in many pieces But those were out of the normal usage I usually use my phone in.. Of course I'm not doing this to phones to garner ratings either like he does ... Hmm... Think about it..

Here is a outright falsehood I have seen made on this thread .. That it is basically useless on Sprint.. I'm on Sprint and I own this phone.. Do they? This phone connects faster than either my s8's or iPhone or even my LG's.. It's call quality is better, it's wifi calling is phenomenal, and I have better reception too so could they explain to me how it is basically useless on Sprint..maybe on Verizon but not Sprint..Do these folks even own this phone let alone use it on Sprint? I don't believe that they do.

#3 Boring ui.. Seriously? I suppose to them it is since it is not TouchWiz, but to us it is not boring. It's not glaringly gaudy and to be honest doesn't have to be. The screen size is fine and it's aspect ratio is normal which is perfect for the size. IP 67 vs IP 68... Seriously... I'm mean someone is downing the phone because of this? I have a news flash.. The vast majority of people don't take their cell phones underwater.. IP 67 is fine for the majority of people on the planet.

No Samsung phones aren't the best and never will be the best at everything. Samsung phones have just as many issues as other phones and that is the reality of this. People need to stop letting their personal preference blind them to the reality of this and stop spreading bs about a phone they have no first hand knowledge of. I have both of the current Flagships.. They obviously don't and only want to cut HTC down.

The u11 is a better phone than any Samsung phone currently available on everything it can do that's been discussed.

The Samsung has the best amoled screen on the market.. Not the best LCD screen. Just being amoled does not mean BEST especially on this size of display.

The Samsung has the most and best features on the market.. Nope.. They may have the most, but certainly not the BEST and these features are considered by most to be bloat and get disabled. Think Package Disabler here...

Samsung's are bad at nothing.. Really.. I got news for anyone that believes this nonsense , they are very bad at a lot of things and we've (I) already pointed them out to you.

Other phones are bad or inferior because they lack features that the Samsung's have.. Reality check... Like what.. It's curved screens that you can't protect , it's batteries that blows up.. It's UI that is gaudy with it's inaccurate colors.. All of the bloat that has to be removed or disabled or it starts to studder.. Has people forgotten that the app Package Disabler was developed specifically for Samsung phones to rid them of all the bloat and not just the carrier bloat.. How about It's atrocious sounding speakers and Dacs..these are superior to the u11? Sorry dudes step away from the Kool-aid.

As a actual owner of the HTC u11 and the Samsung's s8's.. I counter this bs with the truth..

Mac

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Here's the proof of some of the baseless claims recently made ... I'll take them in order.

#1 Since I actually own one and they don't, I believe that I am in a better position to critique the phone more accurately than they can. Also we will deal with a out and out falsehood that was made.

The u11 has the best LCD screen out right now. It's colors are more accurate than any other phone that I have owned or did a direct in hand comparison to. It is more pleasing to the eye, straight out of the box than any Samsung amoled screen. It isn't glaring or gaudy and does not need to be tweaked to look accurate. While amoled may be the preferred screen of you and others, I have found that a LCD screen like the u11 to be better on a mobile device than amoled screens due to eye fatigue and also for screen burn in.
The battery life on this phone isn't good.. It's great. I have been averaging over 6 hours of SOT with everything syncing, and not in any battery saving mode. No Samsung with the same size battery can match this. There is no Samsung phone that is better than the u11 for software performance. This phone is fluid and stands well above anything TouchWiz offers... and will do so 6 months down the line when TouchWiz is studdering.

Now let's talk about audio... the audio of the u11 tromps anything that Samsung offers including rooting the Samsung and loading Viper. It's onpar with my v10 and v20. Yes there are some differences, and yes it doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack but I think that the majority of people will never notice and you will need to put them on a scope to actually see any real differences. I love the sound from both. Having the uSonics map my ears and then adjusting the sound to them produces a near perfect blend of highs mids and lows. Clarity is excellent and the low end is punchy. The sound stage is expansive and enveloping. With the new software update for the dongle with the amp and Dacs it does not struggle with my high impedance reference Sony cans. Listening to any Samsung is equivalent to listening to 2 tin cans and a string... There is no comparison internally or externally. Oh.. the bs excuse of adding water resistance to the Samsung is the reason it's speakers sound terrible is just that.. BS.. This phone is also water-resistant and sounds excellent. There is a huge difference between being loud, scratchy and grating and being great because this phone goes loud and sounds great.. No Samsung does.

#2 Let's talk about it's outdated design for a few. The only people that are stating this are those who are in Samsung's pocket, their fanboys, or those tech writers who think having the thinnest edgeless phone is the most important thing to strive for. The design is a blend of practicality and real world experience. Why.. simply because it makes no sense to to build a phone without something to hold on to when out of a case. Luckily the designers didn't cave into the fad of form over function completely like those from Samsung. The top and bottom is there to support the phone and to give us boomsound. Not everyone loves Samsung designs.. Yes many people do and that's perfectly fine, but just because they don't like how the u11 looks is personal bias...oh...That Jerry rig test... At first I thought... Wow that ain't good and worried about it...heck I even posted this on the thread here... Then I came to the conclusion after really thinking about it .. In all of my years I have never stressed a phone in the manner he did. Ive dropped them off buildings, down elevator shafts, off of ladders and lifts as well as out of treestands, off mountains and into sewers, lakes, ponds, and I have never bent a phone like he did just to get it to fail..Sure I've broken them in all sorts of ways.. and in many pieces But those were out of the normal usage I usually use my phone in.. Of course I'm not doing this to phones to garner ratings either like he does ... Hmm... Think about it..

Here is a outright falsehood I have seen made on this thread .. That it is basically useless on Sprint.. I'm on Sprint and I own this phone.. Do they? This phone connects faster than either my s8's or iPhone or even my LG's.. It's call quality is better, it's wifi calling is phenomenal, and I have better reception too so could they explain to me how it is basically useless on Sprint..maybe on Verizon but not Sprint..Do these folks even own this phone let alone use it on Sprint? I don't believe that they do.

#3 Boring ui.. Seriously? I suppose to them it is since it is not TouchWiz, but to us it is not boring. It's not glaringly gaudy and to be honest doesn't have to be. The screen size is fine and it's aspect ratio is normal which is perfect for the size. IP 67 vs IP 68... Seriously... I'm mean someone is downing the phone because of this? I have a news flash.. The vast majority of people don't take their cell phones underwater.. IP 67 is fine for the majority of people on the planet.

No Samsung phones aren't the best and never will be the best at everything. Samsung phones have just as many issues as other phones and that is the reality of this. People need to stop letting their personal preference blind them to the reality of this and stop spreading bs about a phone they have no first hand knowledge of. I have both of the current Flagships.. They obviously don't and only want to cut HTC down.

The u11 is a better phone than any Samsung phone currently available on everything it can do that's been discussed.

The Samsung has the best amoled screen on the market.. Not the best LCD screen. Just being amoled does not mean BEST especially on this size of display.

The Samsung has the most and best features on the market.. Nope.. They may have the most, but certainly not the BEST and these features are considered by most to be bloat and get disabled. Think Package Disabler here...

Samsung's are bad at nothing.. Really.. I got news for anyone that believes this nonsense , they are very bad at a lot of things and we've (I) already pointed them out to you.

Other phones are bad or inferior because they lack features that the Samsung's have.. Reality check... Like what.. It's curved screens that you can't protect , it's batteries that blows up.. It's UI that is gaudy with it's inaccurate colors.. All of the bloat that has to be removed or disabled or it starts to studder.. Has people forgotten that the app Package Disabler was developed specifically for Samsung phones to rid them of all the bloat and not just the carrier bloat.. How about It's atrocious sounding speakers and Dacs..these are superior to the u11? Sorry dudes step away from the Kool-aid.

As a actual owner of the HTC u11 and the Samsung's s8's.. I counter this bs with the truth..

Mac

THIS. 100% THIS.

As a current u11 owner and former owner of both an s8+ and s8 I can vouch and agree with everything this gentleman says. Ill echo some of his points:

-The battery isn't good, its incredible. For HTC to pack a 3000mah and be able to power a 5.5 QHD screen that easily gets 6 hours of SOT is remarkable. Shows what UI optimization can do vs a battery sucking touchwiz. My s8 with 3000mah barely made it to 4:30 and im getting over 6 consistently on the u11.

-Look of a UI is all overblown. How many of us actually use the stock launcher? We have android phones for a reason and that's because we like the freedom to customize. The look of a UI should not even be factored into an argument. Slap nova like most of us do and you have a stock look and feel. Unless you have a UI like touchwiz which even behind the scenes is draining battery then you have a problem.

-Lastly, the phone is just blazing fast. Faster than the pixel, faster than the s8, faster than anything ive used. Its not just me, recent benchmarks show its the fastest phone ever made to this point. You feel it as you use it. never hiccups, never stutters. Ill also throw in that the camera is amazing and the best you can find on any phone on the market. DxO mark proves it even though some may think that doesn't prove anything, its the only real benchmark we have at the moment for cell phone cameras. Go buy it now.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
THIS. 100% THIS.

As a current u11 owner and former owner of both an s8+ and s8 I can vouch and agree with everything this gentleman says. Ill echo some of his points:

-The battery isn't good, its incredible. For HTC to pack a 3000mah and be able to power a 5.5 QHD screen that easily gets 6 hours of SOT is remarkable. Shows what UI optimization can do vs a battery sucking touchwiz. My s8 with 3000mah barely made it to 4:30 and im getting over 6 consistently on the u11.

-Look of a UI is all overblown. How many of us actually use the stock launcher? We have android phones for a reason and that's because we like the freedom to customize. The look of a UI should not even be factored into an argument. Slap nova like most of us do and you have a stock look and feel. Unless you have a UI like touchwiz which even behind the scenes is draining battery then you have a problem.

-Lastly, the phone is just blazing fast. Faster than the pixel, faster than the s8, faster than anything ive used. Its not just me, recent benchmarks show its the fastest phone ever made to this point. You feel it as you use it. never hiccups, never stutters. Ill also throw in that the camera is amazing and the best you can find on any phone on the market. DxO mark proves it even though some may think that doesn't prove anything, its the only real benchmark we have at the moment for cell phone cameras. Go buy it now.

Thanks

Many won't buy it unfortunately..

There's a number of reasons why, and we all know them too well. This phone will not be as heavily endorsed as Samsung's . here or anywhere else . It's plainly obvious why to anyone who chooses to look too. Play by Samsung's rule book or suffer the consequences... The agenda has been set and everyone lines up to bow down to their alter..

My main concern is combating some total bs that has been posted on this thread.

It bothers me that I have too, because what I see is outright falsehoods being regurgitated as factual information about this phone. Sure it may not be perfect for everyone, but no phone is perfect.. What it is, is a excellent phone and does many things better than most other flagship phones including any Samsung phone on the market...and this is obvious to anyone who has it.

Mac

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
In the main components that people look for in a phone, it beats any Samsung device out, no questions asked. Camera, battery and performance.U11, U11 and U11.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Mac

AMOLEDs are definitely better looking than LCDs. Using an LCD trades AMOLED burn-in for annoying LCD light bleed. Samsung phones have the best displays of any phones. That's just a fact. Everyone agrees on that. If you like LCD, that's fine, but the U11's LCD isn't a better display by any means. AMOLEDs have perfect blacks, do Always On Displays right, and visual quality isn't diminished by viewing angles (especially when wearing polarized sunglasses).

- Screen on times between the Galaxy S8 and HTC U11 are basically the same. Samsung phones drain battery faster in idle, but that doesn't matter to everyone.

Everyone notices when a phone doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Not having one is a big omission. Headphone quality with the U11 is worse than the Galaxy S8. According to PocketNow, the U11 headphone audio has more noise, less dynamic range, and same amp power. The Galaxy S8 sounds better with headphones. Yeah, the HTC U11 has better external audio, but most people, including myself, don't care about dual speakers as long as the single speaker has reasonable volume. The IP rating does affect the speaker quality as well. The Galaxy S8 is better sealed up than the HTC U11 to earn the better water-resistance rating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqOuQe_pmM

It is more practical to have smaller bezels, not larger bezels. Having smaller or no bezels makes the phone size smaller, which means that big phones will fit better in your pocket. It is bizarre to me that you hold your phone by the bezels. I don't think I have ever held a phone by the bezels. Bezels are completely unnecessary. You don't need bezels to hold onto your phone comfortably with no issues. The design is outdated.

Yes, the HTC UI is boring. It looks boring and lacks features. Yes, IP67 is fine. IP68 is better.

Most of the Samsung features are NOT bloat and are not considered bloat. Is the ability to change your resolution and performance to increase battery life bloat? What about Knox security? Iris scanner? Samsung Pay? DeX? Wireless charging?

Yeah, Samsung's curved display hurts its durability. So does the shape of the HTC U11's screen. Both are fine with a case.

The Samsung battery thing was blown out of proportion. It was basically just one phone and Samsung changed the batteries so they can't explode anymore. I saw a video where someone actually cut into the battery on accident using a power tool and the battery didn't burn up.

Samsung's UI isn't gaudy. It's classy and beautiful.

Samsungs are the best overall phones. Android Central literally posted an article 2 days ago called "Best Android Phones of 2017" where they list the Galaxy S8 as "Best Overall" and they aren't the only one that thinks so. Oh and the Galaxy S8 recently won "Best Smartphone" at Mobile World Congress Shanghai and before that the Galaxy S7 Edge won for "Best Smartphone of 2016"
https://www.androidcentral.com/best...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ Named 'Best Smartphone' at MWC Shanghai 2017

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok ppl enough is enough... Stop feeding into this guy... He's not even realizing he's sharing his opinion and others are sharing theirs, nothing is definitively the best

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
AMOLEDs are definitely better looking than LCDs. Using an LCD trades AMOLED burn-in for annoying LCD light bleed. Samsung phones have the best displays of any phones. That's just a fact. Everyone agrees on that. If you like LCD, that's fine, but the U11's LCD isn't a better display by any means. AMOLEDs have perfect blacks, do Always On Displays right, and visual quality isn't diminished by viewing angles (especially when wearing polarized sunglasses).

- Screen on times between the Galaxy S8 and HTC U11 are basically the same. Samsung phones drain battery faster in idle, but that doesn't matter to everyone.

Everyone notices when a phone doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Not having one is a big omission. Headphone quality with the U11 is worse than the Galaxy S8. According to PocketNow, the U11 headphone audio has more noise, less dynamic range, and same amp power. The Galaxy S8 sounds better with headphones. Yeah, the HTC U11 has better external audio, but most people, including myself, don't care about dual speakers as long as the single speaker has reasonable volume. The IP rating does affect the speaker quality as well. The Galaxy S8 is better sealed up than the HTC U11 to earn the better water-resistance rating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqOuQe_pmM

It is more practical to have smaller bezels, not larger bezels. Having smaller or no bezels makes the phone size smaller, which means that big phones will fit better in your pocket. It is bizarre to me that you hold your phone by the bezels. I don't think I have ever held a phone by the bezels. Bezels are completely unnecessary. You don't need bezels to hold onto your phone comfortably with no issues. The design is outdated.

Yes, the HTC UI is boring. It looks boring and lacks features. Yes, IP67 is fine. IP68 is better.

Most of the Samsung features are NOT bloat and are not considered bloat. Is the ability to change your resolution and performance to increase battery life bloat? What about Knox security? Iris scanner? Samsung Pay? DeX? Wireless charging?

Yeah, Samsung's curved display hurts its durability. So does the shape of the HTC U11's screen. Both are fine with a case.

The Samsung battery thing was blown out of proportion. It was basically just one phone and Samsung changed the batteries so they can't explode anymore. I saw a video where someone actually cut into the battery on accident using a power tool and the battery didn't burn up.

Samsung's UI isn't gaudy. It's classy and beautiful.

Samsungs are the best overall phones. Android Central literally posted an article 2 days ago called "Best Android Phones of 2017" where they list the Galaxy S8 as "Best Overall" and they aren't the only one that thinks so. Oh and the Galaxy S8 recently won "Best Smartphone" at Mobile World Congress Shanghai and before that the Galaxy S7 Edge won for "Best Smartphone of 2016"
https://www.androidcentral.com/best...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ Named 'Best Smartphone' at MWC Shanghai 2017

No Amoled isn't better than LCD not at all, it's just hyperbole. It has some benefits that appeal to those who prefer it and buy into the bs most all fanboys, tech writers, and paid reviewers regurgitate.

Let me ask you straight up before continuing.. Do you own a HTC u11?

If you don't, then you have no idea which is the better. You can only go by what others are saying about it. You have 0 % first hand knowledge of the device's actual day to day performance. Therefore you really have nothing you can add to this conversation that is worthwhile. You don't have a frigging clue which is better or worse and you can regurgitate some others comments about the device.

Sure your intitaled to your own opinion, but to needlessly bring your trolling on the htc forum is pathetic. I'll play your game with you.. But in all honesty you are going to loose.

Do you even know what the bezels are on a smartphone? They are the sides of the phone. Bezeless means that you are holding on to the screen.. for people with normal hands and if you don't believe it.. Look it up. For true bezeless designs the screen will be sitting above the edge of the case. No its not a good idea to do this and with Samsung's idiotic screens put them at a serious disadvantage for breaking. This is a fact that is indisputable. Also what is a fact is without bezels software has to be included to stop false registers on the screen. Outdated my behind.. Practical and simpler yes..

No Sense is not boring. It does everything better than TouchWiz so how can this be considered boring.. It isn't gaudy like TouchWiz and TouchWiz is gaudy.. Sense is not full of bloat.. and TouchWiz is packed to the gills with bloat and useless gimmicky features that most people disable or delete if they can. Even Pocket Now says as much.

Let's talk audio.. Really you should check your facts more.. What model of u11 was Pocket Now reviewing? Did it have the latest version of software on it...? Nope and they had a bad 3.5mm adapter and stated as such didn't they.. I have done direct comparisons and know what my ears tell me, you haven't and won't because you only want to believe that Samsung is superior. BTW... Didn't you say that you primarily use Bluetooth headphones like most people... Lol

Before you toot your own horn, check things out especially when you try to convince others..

Did you read this review?

HTC U11 Review: The "more and less" conventional flagship

Read all of it and do not skip over his criticism of the s8 and then you can weep about it.

Yes I agree about the 3.5mm jack being omitted but from the hundreds of people who have this phone including myself it's not a big deal, and as a owner of just about every Samsung galaxy phone put out I know for a fact that their audio is atrocious now and has always been due to their inability to get their software right which is true to everything they have done in Touch Wiz

I can sit my u11 side by side with both s8's and see just how much better my u11 is any day of the week and this is a fact.. You can't so you don't know what you are talking about.

What else do you plan on regurgitating here in the HTC forum..?

Mac

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok ppl enough is enough... Stop feeding into this guy... He's not even realizing he's sharing his opinion and others are sharing theirs, nothing is definitively the best

The Galaxy phones are considered the best Android phones by most people. Some of what I have said is my opinion. Some of it is fact.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No Amoled isn't better than LCD not at all, it's just hyperbole. It has some benefits that appeal to those who prefer it and buy into the bs most all fanboys, tech writers, and paid reviewers regurgitate.

Let me ask you straight up before continuing.. Do you own a HTC u11?

If you don't, then you have no idea which is the better. You can only go by what others are saying about it. You have 0 % first hand knowledge of the device's actual day to day performance. Therefore you really have nothing you can add to this conversation that is worthwhile. You don't have a frigging clue which is better or worse and you can regurgitate some others comments about the device.

Sure your intitaled to your own opinion, but to needlessly bring your trolling on the htc forum is pathetic. I'll play your game with you.. But in all honesty you are going to loose.

Do you even know what the bezels are on a smartphone? They are the sides of the phone. Bezeless means that you are holding on to the screen.. for people with normal hands and if you don't believe it.. Look it up. For true bezeless designs the screen will be sitting above the edge of the case. No its not a good idea to do this and with Samsung's idiotic screens put them at a serious disadvantage for breaking. This is a fact that is indisputable. Also what is a fact is without bezels software has to be included to stop false registers on the screen. Outdated my behind.. Practical and simpler yes..

No Sense is not boring. It does everything better than TouchWiz so how can this be considered boring.. It isn't gaudy like TouchWiz and TouchWiz is gaudy.. Sense is not full of bloat.. and TouchWiz is packed to the gills with bloat and useless gimmicky features that most people disable or delete if they can. Even Pocket Now says as much.

Let's talk audio.. Really you should check your facts more.. What model of u11 was Pocket Now reviewing? Did it have the latest version of software on it...? Nope and they had a bad 3.5mm adapter and stated as such didn't they.. I have done direct comparisons and know what my ears tell me, you haven't and won't because you only want to believe that Samsung is superior. BTW... Didn't you say that you primarily use Bluetooth headphones like most people... Lol

Before you toot your own horn, check things out especially when you try to convince others..

Did you read this review?

HTC U11 Review: The "more and less" conventional flagship

Read all of it and do not skip over his criticism of the s8 and then you can weep about it.

Yes I agree about the 3.5mm jack being omitted but from the hundreds of people who have this phone including myself it's not a big deal, and as a owner of just about every Samsung galaxy phone put out I know for a fact that their audio is atrocious now and has always been due to their inability to get their software right which is true to everything they have done in Touch Wiz

I can sit my u11 side by side with both s8's and see just how much better my u11 is any day of the week and this is a fact.. You can't so you don't know what you are talking about.

What else do you plan on regurgitating here in the HTC forum..?

Mac

AMOLEDs are better. They have much better viewing angles, aren't affected by polarized sunglasses, look brighter, have perfect blacks, and can do AOD properly. Apple and LG are going to AMOLEDs. Displaymate consistently rates Samsung AMOLEDs the best smartphone displays at release based on their objective testing.

I don't have to own a phone to know about it. There are tons of reviews from tech sites, Youtubers, and forums like this one. I can read the experiences of others and learn from it. That's why these things exist.

Yes, I know what bezels are. The HTC U11 bezels are too large. It makes the phone look outdated and boring. Reviewers have noticed this. Yes, curved displays hurt the durability of the screen, but the HTC U11 has durability issues with the shape of its screen as well. The Galaxy S8/S8+ and U11 are fine with a case on them. Having large bezels isn't more practical. It makes the phone excessively large, which is a bad thing.

HTC Sense is boring and basic. Reviewers have mentioned this. The Galaxy S8/S8+ UI is not gaudy at all. It is very classy.
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/204793-image/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Review-051-UI.jpg

https://s3.postimg.org/mputdlmv7/20170705_211258.jpg

PocketNow tested the HTCU11 with the software they had at the time of review. Maybe HTC could have improved the audio with a patch. Maybe so did Samsung. Can you provide patch notes showing that HTC improved the internal audio? Your ears can be fooled. What can't be fooled are objective tests by computer systems. They showed that the U11 headphone audio was not as good as the S8 and the G6. I use Bluetooth for audio in my car and Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones when I'm walking around.

No, I hadn't read that review. They complain about several of the things I have mentioned -- "substantial" bezels, no 3.5mm jack, average battery life.

Samsungs have not always had "atrocious" headphone audio. My Note 5 has excellent headphone audio. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe these people.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/galaxy-note-5-audio-quality.778690/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/general/note-5-headphone-jack-audio-performance-t3186790

You can compare them side by side? Congratulations. So can Android Central and guess which phone won their choice for best smartphone? It wasn't the HTC U11. The Galaxy S8 is widely regarded as being better than the HTC U11. It has been chosen as the best phone for official and unofficial awards. The HTC U11 is a great phone, but it isn't better than the Galaxy S8/S8+. You can like the HTC U11 and prefer everything it offers over the S8/S8+ and still recognize the fact that the S8/S8+ is a better overall phone. If you don't think the S8/S8+ is the best phone, at least recognize you are in the vast minority with that opinion.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
From all indications you don't have the u11 or maybe the s8's.. Atleast from your post, I could be wrong, but since I am asking how about answering.

Do you own a HTC u11?

Mac

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
AMOLEDs are better. They have much better viewing angles, aren't affected by polarized sunglasses, look brighter, have perfect blacks, and can do AOD properly. Apple and LG are going to AMOLEDs. Displaymate consistently rates Samsung AMOLEDs the best smartphone displays at release based on their objective testing.

I don't have to own a phone to know about it. There are tons of reviews from tech sites, Youtubers, and forums like this one. I can read the experiences of others and learn from it. That's why these things exist.

Yes, I know what bezels are. The HTC U11 bezels are too large. It makes the phone look outdated and boring. Reviewers have noticed this. Yes, curved displays hurt the durability of the screen, but the HTC U11 has durability issues with the shape of its screen as well. The Galaxy S8/S8+ and U11 are fine with a case on them. Having large bezels isn't more practical. It makes the phone excessively large, which is a bad thing.

HTC Sense is boring and basic. Reviewers have mentioned this. The Galaxy S8/S8+ UI is not gaudy at all. It is very classy.
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/204793-image/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Review-051-UI.jpg

https://s3.postimg.org/mputdlmv7/20170705_211258.jpg

PocketNow tested the HTCU11 with the software they had at the time of review. Maybe HTC could have improved the audio with a patch. Maybe so did Samsung. Can you provide patch notes showing that HTC improved the internal audio? Your ears can be fooled. What can't be fooled are objective tests by computer systems. They showed that the U11 headphone audio was not as good as the S8 and the G6. I use Bluetooth for audio in my car and Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones when I'm walking around.

No, I hadn't read that review. They complain about several of the things I have mentioned -- "substantial" bezels, no 3.5mm jack, average battery life.

Samsungs have not always had "atrocious" headphone audio. My Note 5 has excellent headphone audio. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe these people.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/galaxy-note-5-audio-quality.778690/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/general/note-5-headphone-jack-audio-performance-t3186790

You can compare them side by side? Congratulations. So can Android Central and guess which phone won their choice for best smartphone? It wasn't the HTC U11. The Galaxy S8 is widely regarded as being better than the HTC U11. It has been chosen as the best phone for official and unofficial awards. The HTC U11 is a great phone, but it isn't better than the Galaxy S8/S8+. You can like the HTC U11 and prefer everything it offers over the S8/S8+ and still recognize the fact that the S8/S8+ is a better overall phone. If you don't think the S8/S8+ is the best phone, at least recognize you are in the vast minority with that opinion.

For the record I have had all of the Notes from 2 up to the 5 several of them actually and passed on the 7 and all of the regular Galaxy series and even 2 of the Actives..

I know all about how their audio is with them and stand firmly by what I have said about them. To make any of them sound as good as my u11 you have to resort to adding Viper.

I've seen both links and also know that the note 5 had some serious issues with their audio. While early samples showed great results most of the mid to end of run did not,thus the need for v4a to be installed. On the s series only the exynos equipped phones are capable of doing OK. The Wolfson dac is decent enough but Samsung's codecs as I have said brings it down, not to mention the various carrier editions too that has multiple issues.

HTC Sense is not boring and I don't give a rats behind what the obligated web sites tech writers or you claim. This is totally irrelevant because just as you or they think TouchWiz is beautiful, just as many others feel otherwise.. It's called personal preferences...Nothing more.. They have to say nice things, you on the other hand just regurgitate what others say...which carries no weight.

Further I do not have to agree that the s8 is a a better phone, just the contrary because it isn't.

The design flaws it has makes it impossible to use a quality temperd glass screen protector on it, it's screen design makes it more prone to breaking, it's aspect ratio makes the viewable screen smaller unless the manufacturers, developers and distributors recode just for its usage and just a few have in all the months it's been out, it's software isn't optomized and is slower, it's fingerprint scanner is a joke, and every single one of these phones is loaded with bloat that can't be removed. Why in the hell would I ever say that it is better than the u11...?

You should really read that review..like I said to without just keying in on the negative things and listen to what he says.. You might learn something.. You might also read what Andrew said just recently

https://m.androidcentral.com/top-5-...feature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

Yes I know that every tech writer and audiophile is having a coniption fit about the headphone jack missing, but no one is understanding that the phone has already received a software update for the adapter and in all likelihood will continue to. It just keeps getting better all the time.. It will never be accepted because these people don't want to give up their already purchased headphones and will go out of their way to bash any new technology that will do this. Hopefully htc will use the extra pins in the new USB format and make it easier to use other headphones as well as utilizing the cord for a external antenna... That is the only con that I have against the phone but that's not a deal breaker for me anymore. FWIW there are many programs that you can run to test the audio on these phones damn few people can actually hear the differences they are seeing with them . I'm one of those who can and I am telling you straight up.. Side by side the u11 blows the US Samsung phones out of the water and still sounds better than all the rest of their phones . The external speakers everyone knows does this too and yes they do matter to millions of people worldwide.

Mac

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty