Got a Mate 20 Pro, Ask Questions

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to butt in but yeah. It has a 'Recently Deleted' folder which holds your deleted photos for 30 days. You can restore them at any point then they're permanently deleted after they period.

Great! I always miss this when jump back to Samsung and delete pictures by mistake while cleaning my gallery. I know the app "dumpster" exists but it uses way too much battery

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Another question, does raise to wake work okay? According to reviewer on phonearena, it does have the setting but it does not work most of the time unless you do a very aggressive unnatural movement, unlike with the iPhone that does work every time you pick up the phone.

Could it be similar of the apple watch (very responsive) vs Gear S3 (not that responsive you need to turn the wrist very aggressively)?

Or would you say the raise to wake feature on yours works good and wakes up the phone immediately when you pick it up or take it out of the pocket?

Thank you!

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi. Seriously considering this phone now as of today!

How easy and friendly to use is the "do not disturb" feature?

The other phone I am considering is the Pixel 3. Does the Mate 20 let you take wider angle selfies like the P3?

For normal pictures, is this phone easy to use or does it seem fairly complicated to take a simple picture? Would a person get the hang of the camera App quickly? Seems lie a lot to it.

Does this phone totally kick butt?? Haha...!

Thanks, been using BlackBerry most of my Smartphone life and the latest BlackBerry is a step backwards in the camera department. This phone just checks all my boxes!
Really hope I can get a customizable blinking notification light to work on my most popular features/apps, such as emails and texts, maybe Messenger notifications......
Thank you.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I currently own the P20 Pro and find that the camera app is basically point and shoot for simplicity but there are loads of options to experiment with and the Mate 20 Pro is very similar. I was going to get the pixel 3xl myself but didn't think that there was a great deal of difference coming from the 2xl. My Mate arrives on Friday and I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas... Only 2 sleeps to go!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
How does the rear camera do with people's skin ? Do they smooth it a little bit, but not as aggressive as the front camera ?

Rear Camera is very good with faces, less smoothing, it's still there but not very heavy. The front camera is definitely more aggressive, to the point that I look like I have some make up on, lol.

Any word on when the nano memory will be available and how much they cost?
Nope, not a word at the moment.

Another question, does raise to wake work okay? According to reviewer on phonearena, it does have the setting but it does not work most of the time unless you do a very aggressive unnatural movement, unlike with the iPhone that does work every time you pick up the phone.

Could it be similar of the apple watch (very responsive) vs Gear S3 (not that responsive you need to turn the wrist very aggressively)?

Or would you say the raise to wake feature on yours works good and wakes up the phone immediately when you pick it up or take it out of the pocket?

Thank you!

Raise to Wake works well for me, if anything it is very sensitive, mine wakes up the moment I touch it. I have turned it off as it annoyed me how even if I want to check the time the phone would wake up, do. Facial Recognition etc... When I was just checking the time.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Seriously considering this phone now as of today!

How easy and friendly to use is the "do not disturb" feature?

The other phone I am considering is the Pixel 3. Does the Mate 20 let you take wider angle selfies like the P3?

For normal pictures, is this phone easy to use or does it seem fairly complicated to take a simple picture? Would a person get the hang of the camera App quickly? Seems lie a lot to it.

Does this phone totally kick butt?? Haha...!

Thanks, been using BlackBerry most of my Smartphone life and the latest BlackBerry is a step backwards in the camera department. This phone just checks all my boxes!
Really hope I can get a customizable blinking notification light to work on my most popular features/apps, such as emails and texts, maybe Messenger notifications......
Thank you.

You just reminded me to test Do Not Disturb! I keep putting the phone in vibrate when going to work, I keep forgetting I can setup DND.

I have now set it up, you can even set it up for certain calender events which is great if there are meetings etc... Where you want the phone to be absolutely quiet. Please see the screenshot below.
4883fa33e582492db5f1b8b7752ac534.jpg

Overall the phone absolutely kicks butt, it is just a great device all-round.

The front camera claims to be wide but it's definitely not Pixel 3 wide, regardless it takes decent pictures.

The camera UI is easy to use, it just requires sitting with it and learning a bit but everything is well labeled.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
You just reminded me to test Do Not Disturb! I keep putting the phone in vibrate when going to work, I keep forgetting I can setup DND.

I have now set it up, you can even set it up for certain calender events which is great if there are meetings etc... Where you want the phone to be absolutely quiet. Please see the screenshot below. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/4883fa33e582492db5f1b8b7752ac534.jpg

Overall the phone absolutely kicks butt, it is just a great device all-round.

The front camera claims to be wide but it's definitely not Pixel 3 wide, regardless it takes decent pictures.

The camera UI is easy to use, it just requires sitting with it and learning a bit but everything is well labeled.
That's awesome, thank you.
Funny thing, I was out of town today looking at phones (I live in a small town) and I found the Huawei p20 pro, so I dove in and played with settings, and checked things out. I then did a camera test/comparison with my BlackBerry Keyone, and was shocked that my phone took a better picture. Twice!!
I tried too on the P20, tried to play with settings a bit, the Pro setting, normal setting, where I touched on the screen to focus, etc, and was baffled that my BlackBerry shots looked better....
Can this even be????

Last edited:

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
That's about awesome, thank you.
Funny thing, I was out of town today looking at phones (I live in a small town) and I found the Huawei p20 pro, so I dove in and played with settings, and checked things out. I then did a camera test/comparison with my BlackBerry Keyone, and was shocked that my phone took a better picture. Twice!!
I tried too on the P20, tried to play with settings a bit, the Pro setting, normal setting, where I touched on the screen to focus, etc, and was baffled that my BlackBerry shots looked better....
Can this even be????

I highly doubt that lol. But it's your personal preference on how you like the pictures

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
That's awesome, thank you.
Can this even be????

No it cannot be, maybe it's cause the Keyone has a smaller screen so images look a little better but on a same size monitor there is no way that's possible. 99.99% of the time the P20 Pro or Mate 20 Pro will take a better pic.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay, great, here's one more....
Just now may BlackBerry froze up again......urgh. How's the lag on the Mate 20 Pro? Non existent??!
My wife it totally trying to get me to get an IPhone, as we have a Mac desktop, and all family members but me are using them. I am used to Android now, but I do notice that the families phones never lag or freeze up, and my does often.....

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just now may BlackBerry froze up again......urgh. How's the lag on the Mate 20 Pro? Non existent??!
My wife it totally trying to get me to get an IPhone, as we have a Mac desktop, and all family members but me are using them. I am used to Android now, but I do notice that the families phones never lag or freeze up, and my does often.....

I have the Mate 10 Pro and I've never once had any lag. Faster than all my previous iPhones too. If the Mate 20 Pro has any lag I'll eat my phone

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Mate 20 Pro is a beast, never slows down and it barely gets warm unless it's charging.

I am absolutely loving this device, it ticks all the boxes and then goes the extra mile more. I simply cannot get over the fact that I can have my display set at 50% brightness, with GPS in High Accuracy mode, Always On Display on and streaming music most of the day and it still manages to make it through a full day of heavy usage on a charge without missing a beat!

It simply does not slowdown or freeze.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Mate 20 Pro is a beast, never slows down and it barely gets warm unless it's charging.

I am absolutely loving this device, it ticks all the boxes and then goes the extra mile more. I simply cannot get over the fact that I can have my display set at 50% brightness, with GPS in High Accuracy mode, Always On Display on and streaming music most of the day and it still manages to make it through a full day of heavy usage on a charge without missing a beat!

It simply does not slowdown or freeze.
Awesome, AND, they just announced today that my carrier (Telus, Canada) is going to carry this phone!
Thank you for all your answers and posts man!!