Can't disable Google Chrome and Photos apps

nuficek

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I can't disable Google Chrome and Photos apps. When I disable these apps they show up again in a couple of hours. How can I disable these two annoying apps forever? I use Android 9 and have Google play apps update disabled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Which phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Chrome and Photos are system apps - you can't disable them without rooting the phone. You could just remove the icons from the homepage. (The homepage icon is just a shortcut - the app icons will remain in the app drawer.)

nuficek

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I use Huawei Mate 20 Pro. The problem is that they use around 300MB and update itself on the background even the automatic update is disabled. I've never had such problem before with other phones and even this phone. I purchased the phone almost one year ago but this forced updates and enabling started recently.

nuficek

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
No I don't. Why should I do that and set all permissions, defaults, background data restrictions ...etc. again? Is there any reason?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope, no reason at all. But I can never be sure what a user might be doing regularly for some specific reason (or some misunderstanding of how the system works), so I figured I'd ask (since resetting all app preferences also re-enables any disabled apps).

nuficek

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I see. I'm advance user I think and I tried many options to get rid of these two apps. I also tried to reset Google Play but it didn't help too. Do you have any other ideas how to solve it? Otherwise there has to be some bug in the system as this never happened me before.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might also be something Huawei coded into the firmware. I seem to recall this kind of thing happening on a few other phones in the past, but I can't remember any details. Do you know any other Mate 20 Pro users who have this issue as well?

If you'd like, I could move this thread to the Mate 20 Pro forum, where it might have a better chance of being seen by a fellow user who could test it on their phone.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I can't disable Google Chrome and Photos apps. When I disable these apps they show up again in a couple of hours. How can I disable these two annoying apps forever? I use Android 9 and have Google play apps update disabled.
Yep same thing on my Mate 20X , I used adb to uninstall it.
It would reappear all the time even after disabling as would the Google app. And yes, appstore wasn't set to auto update either.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress