Which is fastest/stable ginger-sense ROM?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
For all interested, Nils has released his new version of Business GingerSense 3.5, and Newt has also released an updated Sense 3.5 version.

I believe the major update involved is the new Runnymede base.

I'm currently using Joelz's latest Sense 3.5 and it is by far faster than the previous version...now I just gotta find the time to flash the other two and take them for a drive!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I definitely need to give Nils a go!!! I think I'll flash it now.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The new 3.5's are remarkably faster than the older ones. Haven't tried Nils' yet cause I'm really enjoying jolez right now but so far with new base most reports are very favorable.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Wanda have you tried out that ext4 mod found here: [MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/26 MIUI Fixed! - xda-developers? It's supposed to do something funky under the hood with the file system and speed up the ROMs....AOSP and Sense!

Not sure I understand exactly what it's doing but it seems to be more of a fix for people that get the "low data space" warning.

My Prime 3.5 is running along smooth with no problems so I'm kinda leery about "fixing" things that don't really need it.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my Prime is as well. I flashed the mod though. Don't see any huge change. If things get crazy, I do have a Nandroid from prior to mod flash. :D

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
O-M-G... LOL

The v4 changelog is out there....

Joelz9614 said:
Changelog v4:
Fixed Honeycomb lockscreen text bug
Tweaks - Volume Key Screen On
Tweaks - 5x5 Appdrawer
Tweaks - Hide Navbar Text
Tweaks - Volume Key Camera Shutter Button
Fixed distortion for HTC videoplayer 720p playback
quicklaunch resized thx liamsters
build prop edits by JSLEnterprise
Removed Gps Reticle
Added Odex Script [Run In Terminal If You Want To Odex]
Updated Build.prop to new release keys
HTC Keyboard With No Arrows By Popular Request
Smoother
Probably More I Want To Do

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My impressions of the latest 3.5 releases:
Newt's HD XL- I've tried up to V2. Decent camera, but more style over substance. Don't know why, but I've never had good luck with Newt's ROMs. I install his ROMs the same way I do everyone's, but I always have stability issues. Joel just always seems to be one step ahead. Newt did get Beats figured out before Joel though, to be fair.

Joelz's Prime XL V3 - Fast, stable, but a terrible camera. While Nils was perfecting his v2 release, I spent some time using Joel's Prime ROMs. It's been very cool, but I always put Newt's camera in place of his. Camera may be fixed in V4. Looking forward to it. Overall, a GREAT experience.

Nils' BGS 3.5 v2 - Stable, not quite as fast as Joelz's, but the camera is To Die For. Finally, 720p video in a 3.5 ROM. With the aforementioned Ext4 mod, I get Quadrant scores in the 1600's. Beats has worked on Nils' 3.5 ROM pretty much since the get-go (something nobody else can claim).

When Joel Releases Prime XL 3D V4, I'll definitely give it a go. I'm a HUGE fan of his work. He is finally going to put in an arrowless keyboard in his V4 (something I've been asking for for weeks *Thanx Joel!!!!*), and he's boasting about his camera... so we'll see.

I've always been a big fan of Nils' ROMs. His BGS creations have made this phone enjoyable again, and I'll always be one of the first to sample his latest work.

And ya know, I think I might put Newt's latest (2.0.1) on my phone today and give it a go. Perhaps I've been unfair in my assessments. Good or bad, I'll report back. Maybe the Ext4 mod will knock me out. See ya!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
My impressions of the latest 3.5 releases:
Newt's HD XL- I've tried up to V2. Decent camera, but more style over substance. Don't know why, but I've never had good luck with Newt's ROMs. I install his ROMs the same way I do everyone's, but I always have stability issues. Joel just always seems to be one step ahead. Newt did get Beats figured out before Joel though, to be fair.

Joelz's Prime XL V3 - Fast, stable, but a terrible camera. While Nils was perfecting his v2 release, I spent some time using Joel's Prime ROMs. It's been very cool, but I always put Newt's camera in place of his. Camera may be fixed in V4. Looking forward to it. Overall, a GREAT experience.

Nils' BGS 3.5 v2 - Stable, not quite as fast as Joelz's, but the camera is To Die For. Finally, 720p video in a 3.5 ROM. With the aforementioned Ext4 mod, I get Quadrant scores in the 1600's. Beats has worked on Nils' 3.5 ROM pretty much since the get-go (something nobody else can claim).

When Joel Releases Prime XL 3D V4, I'll definitely give it a go. I'm a HUGE fan of his work. He is finally going to put in an arrowless keyboard in his V4 (something I've been asking for for weeks *Thanx Joel!!!!*), and he's boasting about his camera... so we'll see.

I've always been a big fan of Nils' ROMs. His BGS creations have made this phone enjoyable again, and I'll always be one of the first to sample his latest work.

And ya know, I think I might put Newt's latest (2.0.1) on my phone today and give it a go. Perhaps I've been unfair in my assessments. Good or bad, I'll report back. Maybe the Ext4 mod will knock me out. See ya!

I've also been a big fan of Nils' work but as you say, Joelz' just seems a bit snappier, but with a not so good camera...I've actually had pretty good luck flashing Nils camera to Joelz Prime 3D XL. I planning on trying Nils latest release as soon as I can find the time to flash it.

On the keyboard tip, I don't understand why no one uses the Gingerbread KB...wasn't it leaked like a year or more ago?? Personally I prefer it to the other android KB that comes with most ROMs.

Maybe I'll give the Ext4 a whirl today and see what happens...whats the worst that could happen right???:D

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Simple: Cuz the Sense keyboard is the easiest one to use.

Having all the punctuation and other characters available via long-press without having to change screens is a VERY nice feature.

True, some other keyboards look prettier. But in terms of pure functionality, the arrowless Sense keyboard just rules.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Simple: Cuz the Sense keyboard is the easiest one to use.

Having all the punctuation and other characters available via long-press without having to change screens is a VERY nice feature.

True, some other keyboards look prettier. But in terms of pure functionality, the arrowless Sense keyboard just rules.

But all the punctuation (or the majority of the most commonly used ones) are in a row above the letters. To me its much faster and easier than having to long press stuff. Personal preference I guess.

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Choice is what it's all about.
The OP in Nils' BGS 3.5 thread has a couple of great keyboard mods. If you dig deep enough into the keyboard settings, he already has a lot of options in his ROM.
Did you know that Nils' keyboards support Trace? That is HTC's own version of Samsung's Swype keyboard. It's awesome.

Sent from my Business Gingersense 3.5 V2 Incredible using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Yup. Choice is what it's all about.
The OP in Nils' BGS 3.5 thread has a couple of great keyboard mods. If you dig deep enough into the keyboard settings, he already has a lot of options in his ROM.
Did you know that Nils' keyboards support Trace? That is HTC's own version of Samsung's Swype keyboard. It's awesome.

I've seen the different keyboards ...even tried to flash one to Joelz Prime, something I wouldn't recommend.

About trace, I thought I read he had cut that out of his current 3.5 ROM. Maybe I misread it, in any case I usually stick with the GB keyboard, I seem to be faster on that style.

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the different keyboards ...even tried to flash one to Joelz Prime, something I wouldn't recommend.

About trace, I thought I read he had cut that out of his current 3.5 ROM. Maybe I misread it, in any case I usually stick with the GB keyboard, I seem to be faster on that style.

I'm typing this message using Trace. It comes with Nils' stock keyboard, and also works with his arrowless keyboard mod. Trace does not, however, work with his black keyboard mod.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe thats what I was thinking of...either way I'm sticking with my GB KB.
On a different note, after a clean install of Business Gingersense 3.5 v2 I'm getting some random lockscreen lockups. Gonna try the Honeycomb lockscreen for a while and see if that works...other than that, this ROM is so far the fastest 3.5 I've used to date.

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah It's a great Rom, but then you all know by now that I'm a total BGS fanboi.
That lock-up issue is a bug that Nils is working on. Last update I read was he thinks he has it fixed, but because it happens so randomly, he needs some time to confirm it's gone for sure.
The camera is fantastic on 2.0, but it broke the scan app. Wonder if a scan app from the market would work...

Anywho, for now until the lock up issue is resolved, I'll be using Joel's Prime XL.

Sent from my Prime_XL Incredible via Tapatalk

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
OMG, the worst thing happened: My beloved Incredible has given up the ghost... Actually, I kinda killed it.
My Dinc was on my lap and we were watching TV, posting via Tapatalk, and running Quadrant... having a great time, when I decided it was late and that we should go to bed. I turned off the TV, and without thinking, I stood up. Before I realized what I had done, I heard a very dull *thud* and a faint crackling sound. There, face-down on the tile, lay my poor Dinc. I picked it up, hoping it would just be a mere scrape or chip on the side. Nope... The screen looked like a car windshield after a chance encounter with a foul ball and a local softball game. The only thing that held it together was the screen protector. My life flashed before my eyes as I tried to imagine going a day without Sense 3.5, and I began to sweat profusely. Shaking, I downed the rest of the cocktail that surely contributed to my lapse in phone care. I plugged my Dinc into the charger @ my nightstand, and I went to bed... not knowing what tomorrow might bring. I tried my best to mask my terrible sadness as I whispered what I had done to my girlfriend, who didn't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation at all. Nearby, my broken Dinc dutifully recharged its batteries, bravely trying to shake off what had happened so it could come to work with me in the morning.

The next morning, my Dinc woke me up as it has every day for the last 2 years. It vibrated on the glass top of my nightstand and cranked out the Beatles' "Good Morning, Good Morning", off the Sgt. Pepper album, as loudly as it could. Clearly, the speaker did not suffer any damage, as a result of the fall. Wait... was it all a dream? How cliche would that be, right? But somewhere deep inside, I secretly hoped it was. I looked over at my poor dinc, and traced my finger across its shattered display to silence the alarm, for what I knew was probably the last time.

My girlfriend whispered "There's a Droid X in the glove compartment of my car. Maybe you can use that until you get a replacement Incredible, or that new Vigor phone you keep talking about." Wow, thanks baby. :'(

So, now I'm installing a ROM onto a Droid X in hopes that it can somehow fill this empty hole left behind by the loss of my Business Gingersense 3.5 HTC Incredible...

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Rest easy...the Rezound is coming to the rescue. And as soon as I can upgrade, December, I'll be treating myself to a little early Christmas present!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress